Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 18z 31/10/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

It is too early for the meto to throw it's weight behind a cold spell that is two weeks away. They are always cautious when it comes to forecasting cold spells. I expect them to come on board in the next couple of days. A cold spell in 2 weeks is just about nailed on imo. GFS consistent on this from 360 hours out, now into the 10 day range. Oh, the second reason - cold spells very often follow persistent foggy spells a couple of weeks later. If people haven't noticed this phenomenom over the years then they clearly haven't been paying enough attention :)

The Met Office may not come on board at all, for a start we do not know what their in house models are currently predicting, and I don't think the Met Office use GFS data to produce forecasts (I may be wrong)... Nothing is ever nailed on at 2 weeks out either. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I'm in one of those locations where a NNW wind would normally 'deliver the goods', and I'm far from convinced by either the ECM or the GFS!

Posted

The Met Office may not come on board at all, for a start we do not know what their in house models are currently predicting, and I don't think the Met Office use GFS data to produce forecasts (I may be wrong)... Nothing is ever nailed on at 2 weeks out either.

My post was with a pinch of tongue in cheek :) only a pinch though. I believe we will experience a cold spell in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Posted

The GEFS 6-10 anomaly has the low pressure over the pole and Greenland with mid Atlantic trough and HP to the SE of the UK so still much of a N/S split.

All change on the 11-15 with ridging over Greenland and the trough over the UK bringing unsettled cooler weather to all with average temps.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-34935100-1446666016_thumb.p

post-12275-0-71293400-1446666026_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter is frost and snow/summer is heatwaves

Hi all The cold is still there to night on gfs lets see if ecm sees this in next few days I can't see us being in a strong westerly later November we'll see.The meto might need change there further ahead forecasts to a more colder note..

hi all gfs still going with cold northerly for mid November getting interesting ..

• Like 1

Posted

hi all gfs still going with cold northerly for mid November getting interesting ..

Indeed, the GFS is very good at picking up trends at 2 weeks plus, especially when it involves amplification in the vicinity of Greenland and north east Canada :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Indeed, the GFS is very good at picking up trends at 2 weeks plus, especially when it involves amplification in the vicinity of Greenland and north east Canada :)

Aye. Especially those that don't exist? :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Looks like the cold snap I mentioned this morning has actually upgraded ten-fold. Nice. :)

The cold snap is gone from a blink or you miss it affair to a more prolong one.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

Aye. Especially those that don't exist? :D

Ha ha :) In terms of amplification to our north west, it is nearly always the ECM that spots the false trends - but don't get me started on that one :)

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

WAA is pumping up into Labrador and above at day 10, once that low pressure in the Atlantic sweeps though day 11/12 ish it would open the Door to a Northerly with heights up around Greenland.

I will add, I'm by know means knowledgable in this field - so this is my interpretation and prob Not anywhere close to being correct.

The trough could very well sharpen up leaving us in a southerly flow, it could also push eastwards, or we could get something in-between with low pressure sitting over the UK. The joys of looking at the extended range  :rofl:

At least we have some agreement developing with regards to that Newfoundland high actually developing (though at that range it could move or disappear).

ECM

ECH101-240.GIF?04-0

GFS

gfsnh-12-240.png?12

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

The trough could very well sharpen up leaving us in a southerly flow, it could also push eastwards, or we could get something in-between with low pressure sitting over the UK. The joys of looking at the extended range  :rofl:

Trends only for me at that range. The specifics can wait for the 2 to 3 day range.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I think ECM holds some interest going forward from day 10, doesn't really back up the GFS which is as expected.

It does.   I've been posting mainly in the banter thread but have been outing the potential change for second half onwards.  I think this is now an interesting quote from Fergie

fergieweather, on 03 Nov 2015 - 21:30, said:

...albeit 12z EC clusters highlights some much more vigorous cyclonic outcomes possible from mid-month (out to T+360), & not solely tracking off up to the NW of UK.

Momentum seems to be building

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted

Mean upper ridge beginning to show n Atlantic/Greenland in two weeks time.

From little acorns .........

Hi BA. Could you please let me know what the ECM blue control run is showing on the 12z. I remember you had access to this last winter.

Posted

Tonight's NOAA is not in agreement with the GEFS. No Greenland ridging and a much flatter trough Iceland so with the HP to the SE still having some influence still looking at westerly streamlines and a N/S split. (Quite high confidence)

post-12275-0-27114100-1446670140_thumb.g

post-12275-0-34804300-1446670145_thumb.g

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Actually Knocker looking through the ECM run up to t240 I read it that it would lead on towards a similar scenario that Gfs comes up with, a reasonable assumption.  However, whether that comes off is another kettle of fish and your NOAA charts show that required caution for sure.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Sheesh, one sniff of a pattern change and bun fights have broken out all over the place. Let's be realistic here, it 10 days at a minimum before anything substantially colder is even on the cards, if the GFS turns out to be onto something.

I've only been watching models, reading threads and occasionally posting for a couple of years. Much less time than most. What I have learned though that is that I don't trust the models at 10 days out, be that the operationals, the ensembles, the anomalies or the NOAA.

Let's wait and see. What we have at the moment is 'interesting', nothing more.

It's going to be a long winter on here at this rate!

• Like 9

Posted

Tonight's NOAA is not in agreement with the GEFS. No Greenland ridging and a much flatter trough Iceland so with the HP to the SE still having some influence still looking at westerly streamlines and a N/S split. (Quite high confidence)

The mean ridge only becomes noticeable towards the end of the gefs run (day 13 onwards). The 8/14 day average output is hardly going to pick that up knocks?

• Like 5

Posted

The mean ridge only becomes noticeable towards the end of the gefs run (day 13 onwards). The 8/14 day average output is hardly going to pick that up knocks?

Granted but the ext ecm, although it does have some positive heights Labrador strait, does keep some positivity to  the SE of the UK and makes nowhere near as much of the trough to the NW leading to a much more benign westerly flow, My contention is just that given all of the available evidence the hysteria surrounding one gfs run is not warranted as yet.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Early on but this run looks like it could bring another cold run...More WAA in Canada at T144 than the 12z....we'll see!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I think that is right Blue and on top of that the signal itself is quite muted at the moment, it will take a couple of days before any mean anomaly begins to appear even if GFS is onto something.

It has been suggesting a possible post month Northerly outbreak for some time but more by way of chilly/cold snap from a transient Northerly than cold spell.

We have seen some hints of MLB but no HLB at all so a cold spell proper looks unlikely at the moment but then again things could change quite quickly if we can get MLB in place to start with.

18z rolling out and out to the mid term it looks a little more amplified upstream so hopefully it will at least show a Northerly again.

Posted

And as such has a pretty low probability of being anything more than, IF it verifies, a 24 perhaps 48 hours burst of Pm air. Until the anomaly charts start to solidly show such development then what most folk on here want, lengthy cold is unlikely in my view.

• Like 3