Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Weather Discussion 14/11/15 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Gone from the bottom photo to top photo here in a few minutes.... Tropical rainstorm.... 33c earlier now 25c.... 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Enjoy mate, at least you've got hot and sultry with intense tropical rain thrown in rather than exceptionally mild which under constant cloud doesn't even feel that.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Got a video of thunderstorm the other night lots of lightening but video a bit pants.... Lightening was great lighting up the whole bay....

ps some reason netweather posting is a bit strange... Keeps double quoting....oh well....

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Got a video of thunderstorm the other night lots of lightening but video a bit pants.... Lightening was great lighting up the whole bay....

ps some reason netweather posting is a bit strange... Keeps double quoting....oh well....

I had the same problem trying to post a couple of years ago in the Caribbean, don't know what the reason is though.

never mind, weather update from the Pennines is that it's raining again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Too warm for a suit at a winter wedding @Mokidugway lol

14.2c here, it's breezy with drizzle but it feels very mild. 

• Like 1

Posted

Another grim day, thought I'd get out early and do the things that needed to be done before the heavier rain peps up later in the afternoon.  Need not had bothered, the drizzle was still heavy at times with the wind buffeting it in your face.  This is the 3rd weekend in a row I've stuck with Oldham to get the basics I want quickly, rather than spend the day in Manchester.  The weather being so foul, it could be the first time I've not paid a visit to the Christmas markets this year.  I expect footfall will be down this year, because of the dreadful rain incessantly falling from the skies.  They can't have a record breaking year every year can they, although I'm sure Pat Karney will tinsel the stats up a bit.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Just come back from Christmas shopping, in the rain; the weather might not make it feel like Christmas but the crowds certainly do.

role on that point around late afternoon on Christmas Eve when the mad rush is all finished, for a day or so at least.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

There actually wasn't as much rain as expected for today. The BBC had today down to be a total washout, but it has generally been fairly dry, so turned out not too bad here.

Yeah compared to what we've had and what was forecast, it wasn't heavy but it's still miserable.

i've never known a period as long as this without sunshine and even the dry days have been wall to wall cloud.

a few minutes of sun first thing yesterday but other than that, nothing at all for nearly two weeks.

Posted

GFS has the peak district down for 45% chance of storms between 3am and 6am tomorrow morning, not sure how reliable that will be but if it happens it'll be welcome.

Posted

Spits and spots of rain, but not really heavy here yet.  The cumbrians and those occupying western fringes look like they've copped the short straw again.

Posted
53 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Spits and spots of rain, but not really heavy here yet.  The cumbrians and those occupying western fringes look like they've copped the short straw again.

Indeed, similar stuff to 2009 we all know what followed.

image.thumb.png.89d70885e02fe10c12502564

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

It's absolutely lovely out there tonight at 15C. It's such a privilege to be able to walk to shop after dark in December only wearing a t-shirt, without freezing my tits off.

Absolutely...As much as I love snow and blizzards, amazing warmth like this comes a very close second, IMO...It ain't as though anyone, or anything, has any control??:D

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Absolutely...As much as I love snow and blizzards, amazing warmth like this comes a very close second, IMO...It ain't as though anyone, or anything, has any control??:D

It would be better if it wasn't constantly peeing down though:angry:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It would be better if it wasn't constantly peeing down though:angry:

And if the sun shone! Comstant dark grey skies, gloom and rain getting on my pecs big time now :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

And if the sun shone! Comstant dark grey skies, gloom and rain getting on my pecs big time now :angry:

True, as I posted earlier, I saw the sun for about 5 minutes first thing yesterday, the first appearance for a couple of weeks.

obviously some on here will think, what's all the fuss about but IMBY it's being dire.

And the rain is belting on the conservatory roof again now.

Posted

just  looking at  the  radar  its  looking  nasty  hope it don't cause to many  problems    as  its  so wet  up there

Posted

The idiosyncrasies of even a small region as the North West.  20 Miles to the North West it's lashing it down..... here... bone dry and a warm feeling wind in December.  Bonkers.  It will eventually move eastwards, but the sting will have been spent by then...unfortunately in those areas that do no need anymore rain.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
24 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

The idiosyncrasies of even a small region as the North West.  20 Miles to the North West it's lashing it down..... here... bone dry and a warm feeling wind in December.  Bonkers.  It will eventually move eastwards, but the sting will have been spent by then...unfortunately in those areas that do no need anymore rain.

Indeed, below is the distribution of the rain fall over 24 hours, Basically the further east and south you are the drier it has been. It's typical though because when rain moves in a SW to NE direction the south part of the region is protected by the Welsh mountains.

vqs6yf.jpg

Edited by Medlock Vale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Been hammering down here flooded garden snd so warm! 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Medlock Vale said:

It's typical though because when rain moves in a SW to NE direction the south part of the region is protected by the Welsh mountains.

vqs6yf.jpg

Yes that's true, often during the winter (a real winter!) this can leave the east in the shadow and the western areas end up relieving quite a bit of snow.  2013 springs to mind, when Isle of Man was badly affected and that road in Cumbria had cars buried in the snow.  A north/north westerly in 2010/11 deposited up a foot of snow in my back garden.  That's personally why I prefer a N'Westerly that's cold enough to produce the white stuff

• Like 2

Posted

The only white stuff I will be seeing this Christmas is that crappy stuff off Christmas cake... Yes you know the one it comes after that sickly marzipan Icining yummmy not.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Pouring with rain here and the temps are still in double figures!! 11.8c. Yep no white stuff this Christmas, well that elusive stuff that supposedly falls from the sky!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
57 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Yes that's true, often during the winter (a real winter!) this can leave the east in the shadow and the western areas end up relieving quite a bit of snow.  2013 springs to mind, when Isle of Man was badly affected and that road in Cumbria had cars buried in the snow.  A north/north westerly in 2010/11 deposited up a foot of snow in my back garden.  That's personally why I prefer a N'Westerly that's cold enough to produce the white stuff

Yes a SE wind like on that day in March 2013 is terrible for here - we get a pronounced snow shadow off the Pennines, yet strangely I've noticed an E or NE wind is fine and snow manages to get over with a decent streamer off the North sea. We seem to be just about far enough East in the region to benefit. Manchester city centre westwards and you are pushing it for decent amounts from the East. January 2013 was quite good with a couple of decent falls of about 6 inches from the East. But not as deep as January 2010 like you mention.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

A lot of rain has fallen tonight, rivers are going to be really high again.

Posted

Heavy showers overnight but amazingly a dry, bright start to daylight hours.

long may it continue, the next eight or nine months will do.