Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather Discussion 14/11/15 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Hi everyone

Just seen the images and footage on the BBC news on the flooding in Cumbria. Absolutely awful. At the worst time of year this, its now ruined a lot of peoples Christmases :(

Just wanted to post a message to say im thinking of all those affected. Take care up there!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Horrible day !! Strong winds and rain. Thinking off all up in Cumbria. Stay safe x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I don't know if anyone can verify but I was walking home, and we have a good view out to the north and northeast here - I saw what looked like an intense power flash to the north, and fair way away, but it looked huge in scale.. can anyone say whether they saw the same? It lit up the horizon about 15-20 minutes ago.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Appleby looks horrendous - Windermere cut off apparently -  any reports from Newby Bridge?

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
12 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

I don't know if anyone can verify but I was walking home, and we have a good view out to the north and northeast here - I saw what looked like an intense power flash to the north, and fair way away, but it looked huge in scale.. can anyone say whether they saw the same? It lit up the horizon about 15-20 minutes ago.

Was probably just a substation being flooded - when they go they go in style, big light show with little damage (except to the station) usually.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Radar easing over West Cumbria.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
5 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Was probably just a substation being flooded - when they go they go in style, big light show with little damage (except to the station) usually.

I wondered if it might be something like that, because there's no instability for lightning today. Can't say how far it is away but we can see Lancashire from here, and the hills of Cumbria on a clear day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

My thoughts and prayers are with you folks in the North West, especially in Cumbria. Try and stay safe, dry and warm.

Best wishes

Dave

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Yes, I can't imagine what it must be like...stay safe all .

Thoughts with you

Dami 

• Like 4

Posted

Looking at  the radar  weather  still terrible just becarfull  will keeping a eye  on the news  channels don't do nothing daft

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Cumbria is renowned for being one of the wettest places in the UK. Whilst the flooding is shocking, it's to be expected during the autumn/winter months

What's devastating is the lack of sunshine these past six weeks!

Posted
1 hour ago, itsnowjoke said:

Well it's certainly rough here

....especially after a 0-2 defeat.

• Like 1

Posted

Cumbria police and partner agencies have declared a major incident.

http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2015/12/05/cumbria-declares-major-incident/

Posted

Can anyone explain to a weather newbie like me why on the radar it looks like the heavy rain has sat in a relatively small area over Cumbria all day without moving while not a million miles away here in Manchester it has been dry all day?

(have lurked the model threads for years but still don't understand most of what they are talking about :S)

Posted
10 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Can anyone explain to a weather newbie like me why on the radar it looks like the heavy rain has sat in a relatively small area over Cumbria all day without moving while not a million miles away here in Manchester it has been dry all day?

(have lurked the model threads for years but still don't understand most of what they are talking about :S)

Hey! Welcome to the forum! :)

In basic terms, our part of the world is in a relatively sheltered location. The Welsh mountains create a rain shadow effect with precipitation coming from the west. They'll also take the brunt off some of the strongest winds. Similarly from the east, with The Pennines playing a large role in blocking precipitation from arriving from the east. This isn't always the case though, it depends entirely on the strength of the flow (wind) or how much energy/instability a band/front has. 

Cumbrias 'heavy echo' of precipitation is sat over an elevated area. You'll see this on the radar. The heavier rains will always be deposited on higher ground. The reason for this is topography, where the cloud must rise to pass over the hill/mountain. To pass over, it must first become lighter. To do this, it'll deposit much of its load before it does so. This is also the explanation behind the rain shadow effect. 

Hope this helps! :)

BT

• Like 3

Posted

All this rain that's piled into the northwest today really is quite similar to those severe lake effect snow events they get in buffalo and such places. Accept this was caused by very mild air passing over a cool atlantic ocean opposed to frigid cold air traveling across a tepidly warm lake.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Hey! Welcome to the forum! :)

In basic terms, our part of the world is in a relatively sheltered location. The Welsh mountains create a rain shadow effect with precipitation coming from the west. They'll also take the brunt off some of the strongest winds. Similarly from the east, with The Pennines playing a large role in blocking precipitation from arriving from the east. This isn't always the case though, it depends entirely on the strength of the flow (wind) or how much energy/instability a band/front has. 

Cumbrias 'heavy echo' of precipitation is sat over an elevated area. You'll see this on the radar. The heavier rains will always be deposited on higher ground. The reason for this is topography, where the cloud must rise to pass over the hill/mountain. To pass over, it must first become lighter. To do this, it'll deposit much of its load before it does so. This is also the explanation behind the rain shadow effect. 

Hope this helps! :)

BT

Couldn't have said better myself :)

Posted

What's crazy is, it's absolutely bone dry outside. Grass is dry, paths. It's warm. I love it!