Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather Discussion 14/11/15 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
8 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Well after promising a spell of light snow for my location around 3pm the apps have now dropped that and is showing light rain at 300m ASL..... max temp is only 2 thou

DP Are now positive hense why PPN is of the wet variety

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Anyone know what was the best northerly in terms of snow to hit this region in say the last 20 years? I have rough ideas but no dates to check charts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

There's a trough  I believe coming down this afternoon so showers should organise. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Snow free zone said:

2010/2011 pre christmas

Thanks, sorry I meant further back 80's, 90's early 2000's

Posted
3 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

I'm sure there was one early 2000 but can't recall when?

Edited by Minus 10

Posted
  • Location: Home: Oakworth, West Yorkshire, UK (250m ASL) / Work: Bradford, West Yorkshire (110m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Extreme Weather
  • Location: Home: Oakworth, West Yorkshire, UK (250m ASL) / Work: Bradford, West Yorkshire (110m ASL)

Latest update from METO. Looks like areas down the spine of the country, especially the Pennine areas could do very well out of this.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 20 Jan 2016 to Friday 29 Jan 2016:

There is much uncertainty about the weather during the first couple of days, but we are currently expecting various fronts to make slow progress eastwards across the UK, bringing rain, sleet and possibly also some significant snow in places. The wettest conditions will be in the west and there is a fair chance that eastern areas will remain cold and dry until the weekend. Then from the weekend onwards the most likely scenario is for milder and unsettled conditions with showers or longer spells of rain to spread across all areas, with the heaviest rain likely to occur in the west and southwest. Although it should be generally mild there could be brief colder spells between the bands of rain.

UK Outlook for Friday 29 Jan 2016 to Friday 12 Feb 2016:

As we move from January into February northern areas are likely to see an unsettled period, with outbreaks of rain, strong winds, and some hill snow mixed with brighter, drier periods. Southern parts in contrast should see drier and more settled conditions, although rain cannot be ruled out. Overall temperatures are expected to be around normal, but possibly slightly below average in the south and east.

Updated at: 0123 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

There was early feb 1996 and another from the mid 80s.  My memory gets a bit hazy before that but those 3 snow events seem to stick in the memory for me at least. I'm struggling to think of any others for my area at least.  We also had a white christmas from a cold NW in the early 2000s as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
8 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Anyone know what was the best northerly in terms of snow to hit this region in say the last 20 years? I have rough ideas but no dates to check charts

Weather History is your Man..Why not PM Him

C.S

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

There was early feb 1996 and another from the mid 80s.  My memory gets a bit hazy before that but those 3 snow events seem to stick in the memory for me at least. I'm struggling to think of any others for my area at least.  We also had a white christmas from a cold NW in the early 2000s as well.

Cheers :good:

Posted

The first cloud as blocked out the sun after many hours of unbroken sunshine.  Still feels very cold, some showers forming off the Irish Sea...they'll probably run out of puff by the time they get here...and might be sleety anyway.  I'd rather stick with the cold sunshine.

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Weather History is your Man..Why not PM Him

C.S

Just looking to see how many deceny one's there have been over the last 20-30 years. I know where the message bit is but what is his contact? Not used it on here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
12 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

I'm sure there was one early 2000 but can't recall when?

March 2006 wasn't bad but TBH 2010 has eclipsed anything before it. I was only born in 94 though so can't speak for anything in the 90s. There have been lots of good battleground situations though that I can remember. I think we do better generally from them hence my optimism for the next few days. A Nerly/Nwerly has to be potent (ie uppers below -10) for us to get anything,  as this week has illustrated perfectly. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

March 2006 wasn't bad but TBH 2010 has eclipsed anything before it. I was only born in 94 though so can't speak for anything in the 90s. There have been lots of good battleground situations though that I can remember. I think we do better generally from them hence my optimism for the next few days. A Nerly/Nwerly has to be potent (ie uppers below -10) for us to get anything,  as this week has illustrated perfectly. 

Hence my name :D

• Like 1

Posted

BBC just said with a high uncertainty, a risk of disruptive snow next week.

• Like 2

Posted

Early Feb 96 wasn't a northerly, that was a front coming against a cold block to the east. That was the best Atlantic frontal snow event for this region in the last 25 years.

It depends on what you mean by "northerly"?  The end of Feb 2004 was a direct northerly flow and there was a trough that came through around midnight that gave snow and snow showers developed inland on the flow without any inshore drift. Not bad for our region considering nothing came in off the Irish Sea.

Arctic NWly are the best for the south of the region, infact any westerly element in an Arctic airmass is best for the bulk of region for snow. Pre Christmas 2009 is a good example of this but parts of Cheshire did poorly compared to most.

Posted

Pre  Christmas 2009 I remember; lots of thunder but only snow was from the battleground again on the 23rd. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Early Feb 96 wasn't a northerly, that was a front coming against a cold block to the east. That was the best Atlantic frontal snow event for this region in the last 25 years.

It depends on what you mean by "northerly"?  The end of Feb 2004 was a direct northerly flow and there was a trough that came through around midnight that gave snow and snow showers developed inland on the flow without any inshore drift. Not bad for our region considering nothing came in off the Irish Sea.

Arctic NWly are the best for the south of the region, infact any westerly element in an Arctic airmass is best for the bulk of region for snow. Pre Christmas 2009 is a good example of this but parts of Cheshire did poorly compared to most.

I seem to remember one either 2000 ot 2001? I'm sure it was from north to north westerly

Posted

First shower from the streamer just passed over as the showers are now being forced more inland, just small graupel with a slight covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
18 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

Preston and the Fylde recollections - not exactly events but what I can remember.

December 1978 January 1979  - Remember the railways snowbound on a Sheffield trip.

January  - February 1981 - I was on nights nearly snowed in.

March 1987 - PNE away trip to Exeter - coaches got snowballed through Brig.

February 1996 - Car was stuck outside the house in a drift.

January 2000 - My son was born.

December 2010 - Legendary.

• Like 1

Posted

.....Met Office "Snowiest places in the UK" map has us down with as much snow as Bournemouth.

Says a lot.

(Raining here now)

• Like 1

Posted

.....now hail :D

• Like 1