Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England and East Anglia weather discussion/chat - 15th November 2015 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

After a sunny start it's now turned very grey. A mild 11.5C but feels much colder in the wind. It made me think what a shock it would have been if the bitterly cold air to our NE had actually made it across the North Sea. :cold:
And the wind is surprisingly strong here this morning, with a 40mph gust recorded at the local airbase so far today. The strongest winds are meant to coincide with the rain band, so in theory worst to come. Certainly looking like I'll get wet later as I'm walking to my local for a teatime pint with friends - too windy for an umbrella!

5683ee8284330_RainfallRadar14.15.thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

While the models continue to churn out more wind and rain storms, here is a photo of my street from March 2013

:cold:theres still hope yet 

image.png

• Like 1

Posted

well looking  at the radar  it could get a bit wet in our area soon!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

The main band seems to have stalled up the middle of the country just for a change, be with us soon enough though.

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

@tinybill That's a bit personal! :D

Currently bucketing it down here. And to think...there are actually people who like mild winters. I'm starting to wonder if such people have secretly invested in the scuba industry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 hours ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

I was going to post in the moans thread but that doesn't seem a particularly welcoming place at the moment for people who want (*gasp, faint*) cold in winter, so I'm going to moan in here...

My pear tree is budding leaves :( 

Everyone is eithr arguing about whether this flooding is worse than what the south west had two years ago, or falling over each other to proclaim how much of a mild lover they are.  I'm seriously contemplating asking mods to close my account - the Extra section is great, but the forum is awful nowadays.

Posted
7 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Everyone is eithr arguing about whether this flooding is worse than what the south west had two years ago, or falling over each other to proclaim how much of a mild lover they are.  I'm seriously contemplating asking mods to close my account - the Extra section is great, but the forum is awful nowadays.

Ah, if you close your account you might miss some of the weapons-grade irony in the moans thread :D I think there definitely needs to be the installation of a fainting couch in there, though.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to be stripped of my real weather enthusiasts membership card :drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Please do not, I enjoy reading your posts. A large forum contains vibrant personalities, the forum does seem to have turned more territorial who can outdo who, and that's not how it should be. There is a ignore feature I've never used it myself, it will turn more cheery if a cold spell looms. Folk get grouchy w/this cr@p.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Please do not, I enjoy reading your posts. A large forum contains vibrant personalities, the forum does seem to have turned more territorial who can outdo who, and that's not how it should be. There is a ignore feature I've never used it myself, it will turn more cheery if a cold spell looms. Folk get grouchy w/this cr@p.

Oh, I have a lengthy list of posters in my ignore list.:D

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

it will turn more cheery if a cold spell looms. Folk get grouchy w/this cr@p.

For me, it's some of the mild-lovers who, having arguably got a mild winter, are still bemoaning coldies who want to see more seasonal weather. I find that bemusing, and somewhat off-putting in the moans thread.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

For me, it's some of the mild-lovers who, having arguably got a mild winter, are still bemoaning coldies who want to see more seasonal weather. I find that bemusing, and somewhat off-putting in the moans thread.

Yep, one poster has called this month wonderful? That is a WTF moment! I do not think it helps when we use terms like coldies/mildies as if we're at war with each over (however that's debatable). In summer I like hot weather in winter I like cold weather seasonality is upmost important to me, and typically the cold weather brings the littlest disruption to daily life. I'm sure the folk to the north west would rather have snow markedly more than this endless rain. If you seek v mild unseasonable temperatures - prepare to endure without complaint, what accompanies it.

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

The MOD thread is similar. Without naming members they're a few mild lovers that continue to bask in the glory of mild weather and yet they preach how awful the floods are. That's why I don't believe their sincerity at all, how can you love the fact that we have Atlantic 'mild' domination and then keep posting charts on a daily basis regarding how damn awful this is for the already flooded areas!

It's not about chart anaylasis, it's about rubbing it in the face of 'cold lovers' (80% of the forum) in my opinion. 

One member: Posting yet another low pressure slamming the UK with quote " this is terrible for the flood areas" Yeah right... Who you trying to kid. You couldn't care less - you are just wanting attention/rub it in, from cold lovers! 

We all know that the cold is a long time from our shores, by all means post analysis from model runs, but continuous reminders of how mild it is, is becoming very tiresome. Especially when they use the flood issue as an excuse. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Yep, one poster has called this month wonderful? That is a WTF moment! I do not think it helps when we use terms like coldies/mildies as if we're at war with each over (however that's debatable). In summer I like hot weather in winter I like cold weather seasonality is upmost important to me, and typically the cold weather brings the littlest disruption to daily life. I'm sure the folk to the north west would rather have snow markedly more than this endless rain. If you seek v mild unseasonable temperatures - prepare to endure without complaint, what accompanies it.

Well, Daniel - exceptionally warm or exceptionally cold (and snowy) I'll take whatever comes my way. So long as it's nae dreich!:D

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

The MOD thread is similar. Without naming members they're a few mild lovers that continue to bask in the glory of mild weather and yet they preach how awful the floods are. That's why I don't believe their sincerity at all, how can you love the fact that we have Atlantic 'mild' domination and then keep posting charts on a daily basis regarding how damn awful this is for the already flooded areas!

It's not about chart anaylasis, it's about rubbing it in the face of 'cold lovers' (80% of the forum) in my opinion. 

One member: Posting yet another low pressure slamming the UK with quote " this is terrible for the flood areas" Yeah right... Who you trying to kid. You couldn't care less - you are just wanting attention/rub it in, from cold lovers! 

We all know that the cold is a long time from our shores, by all means post analysis from model runs, but continuous reminders of how mild it is, is becoming very tiresome. Especially when they use the flood issue as an excuse. 

But - there's no more 'glory' in a mild winter than there is in a cold one? IMO, we will get what we get and make do. The models do not control the weather.:D

Posted
29 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, Daniel - exceptionally warm or exceptionally cold (and snowy) I'll take whatever comes my way. So long as it's nae dreich!:D

That's exactly what is being modelled the flood impacted areas are going to have a much needed respite as the jet stream goes south, so us more southern folk will bear the brunt of the rain and all its "goodies". This month is running on a near 50% deficit compared to average December rainfall totals, so I cannot complain really, but I will in my head. I am still not dismissing us seeing some snow on the first half of January, but I'm not entirely hopeful on this, I know at least northern hemisphere profile is looking increasingly ripe for further bites of the cherry, it has gone above freezing 90N courtesy of Storm Frank dragging up very mild air to the pole and I find that extraordinary. I'll be keeping a close eye in the strat thread. I am calling for at least one significant cold outbreak before this winter is out.

Edited by Daniel*
Not quite sure why it's all gone bold! Fixed

Posted

Better from ECM

image.thumb.jpeg.3e72880d51b75f5dd11fb2dimage.thumb.jpeg.203b2a35582430adc8494e6

Continental feed with cold pool much further west - there could be some snow flurries out of that. I think we could build on from this...

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

@Daniel* and @Ben Lewis That's one of the things that confuses me the most - mild winters, with all their associated rainfall, cause considerably more longer-term problems for people than the occasional day of snow. Add to that the annual confusion some members seem to experience over people wanting seasonal weather...each winter it's the same, often descending into pejoratives like 'lunatics' and today's No True Weather Enthusiast fallacy. I enjoy lots of different weather types but snow now seems to be the rarest and so is the one I'm most keen to get. We get most typically British weather still so the majority of people get something they enjoy each year...to begrudge snow-lovers a few days of what they enjoy at winter seems uncharitable and juvenile. 

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

@Daniel* and @Ben Lewis That's one of the things that confuses me the most - mild winters, with all their associated rainfall, cause considerably more longer-term problems for people than the occasional day of snow. Add to that the annual confusion some members seem to experience over people wanting seasonal weather...each winter it's the same, often descending into pejoratives like 'lunatics' and today's No True Weather Enthusiast fallacy. I enjoy lots of different weather types but snow now seems to be the rarest and so is the one I'm most keen to get. We get most typically British weather still so the majority of people get something they enjoy each year...to begrudge snow-lovers a few days of what they enjoy at winter seems uncharitable and juvenile. 

Most certainly. I wouldn't dare post a cold chart from a model, Knocker will be there to shred my 'cold 5 minutes of fame' away before I even had chance to live n hope! 

I mean anyone would think the months of excessive mild charts was just simply not enough. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

Most certainly. I wouldn't dare post a cold chart from a model, Knocker will be there to shred my 'cold 5 minutes of fame' away before I even had chance to live n hope! 

I mean anyone would think the months of excessive mild charts was just simply not enough. 

Why ever not? Knocker's woodshed is hardly sacrosanct!:D

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

'mild' is currently leading since the start line back in November - and don't we all know about it! 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

'Knocker's woodshed' sounds far too much like a euphemism for my liking :D

• Like 2

Posted

My opinion....from a one side I'm quote glad of a mild winter. The OH works outdoors and light already curtails his hours this time of year, so we're quite happy for the grass to keep growing!! However, this year seems to have been one continuous season of yuk. I'd rather see a few weeks in the 80s for summer, a few weeks above freezing for winter and the rest of the year an ambient 60!

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

It's taken me a long while to get used to his bone-dry sense of humour; I think part of it is that it's relatively easy to detect in person, but, when all you have to go on are typed words on a screen and a few "emoticons", it can be difficult to differentiate dry humour from vindictive posting.  At times, though, he's the voice of realism and caution when cold rampers are getting OTT.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1