Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England and East Anglia weather discussion/chat - 15th November 2015 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Real gale here currently this quite easily outdoes St Jude I would say 50mph+ winds in this part of London is unusual being quite sheltered. The local woodland must be having a hard time a lot of tree debris!

Posted

TfL Traffic News â€@TfLTrafficNews  1m

Central London: Regent St j/w Air St- the road is blocked both ways (overhead xmas decorations have collapsed). Use other routes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Yes it's windy.....but where are all the snow ramps for the weekend??!!! x

• Like 1

Posted

Tree down near Cookham bridge, fire crews there as a woman has had to be released from a car, A355 nr Amersham tree down, pretty rough out there.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/14037898.Pictures__Two_people_injured_after_tree_falls_on_travelling_car/

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Dead quiet now , very strange no wind at all .Honestly was very subdued here , Barney obviously tracked further north !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Home safe now. Wind has suddenly picked up and it's the gustiest it's been.

Posted

Oh my God it's ramped up in last 10 minutes first big house shakers now here in welling

These gusts now r mental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Got Baby Barney here. A few strongish gusts, one bin has been toppled, but what Baby Barney did do, was blow all the leaves in my garden into a nice orderly pile. Thanks Baby Barney. :good:

Posted

Some proper house shaking gusts now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Yeah it's really giving us a final kiss goodbye here, last hour really gusty but also strangely mild for the time of year....the weekend will require a thicker jacket though :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Real gale here currently this quite easily outdoes St Jude I would say 50mph+ winds in this part of London is unusual being quite sheltered. The local woodland must be having a hard time a lot of tree debris!

Possibly for your area, but no way for where I live. The most appropriate weather station for my area recorded a 78mph gust during St Judes.

However none of these events comes close to some of the powerful autumn / winter storms that I've experienced here (okay St Judes was a monster in Denmark...) Three in the last forty years were a league above this and St Judes. It'd be interesting if another really powerful winter storm occurred again soon (although I don't want it to happen - too much worry about trees falling and property damage etc.)

Posted

Possibly for your area, but no way for where I live. The most appropriate weather station for my area recorded a 78mph gust during St Judes.

However none of these events comes close to some of the powerful autumn / winter storms that I've experienced here (okay St Judes was a monster in Denmark...) Three in the last forty years were a league above this and St Judes. It'd be interesting if another really powerful winter storm occurred again soon (although I don't want it to happen - too much worry about trees falling and property damage etc.)

I think I've got myself muddled thinking St Jude was in winter months of 2014, when it was really in October 2013 - odd doesn't seem like 2 over years. Looking at the stats I was wrong but for some odd reason that Windstorm never really stood out for me which is quite bemusing the strong winds may have occurred during the early hours? I also think there was a sting jet at play too.

STATION NAME AREA MAX GUST (MPH)

WIGHT: NEEDLES ISLE OF WIGHT 99

LANGDON BAY KENT 82

ISLE OF PORTLAND DORSET 81

ANDREWSFIELD ESSEX 79

ODIHAM HAMPSHIRE 78

THORNEY ISLAND WEST SUSSEX 76

SOLENT HAMPSHIRE 75

WIGHT: ST CATHERINES POINT ISLE OF WIGHT 75

YEOVILTON SOMERSET 75

LYNEHAM WILTSHIRE 75

HURN DORSET 74

MANSTON KENT 70

HEATHROW GREATER LONDON 69

This is an interesting read...apologies if it's familiar to you.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/s/n/18.5_PaulDavies.pdf

Personally the more ferocious the better I'm quite a junkie in terms of extreme weather, I'm aware of the dangers but what can you do its Mother Nature - we are way overdue a beast I must say.

Regarding the possible snow that is still on the cards on 18z...but the so called 'channel low' has hitched from previous run taking a route along French mainland on this run and we're struggling for precipitation unlike on the other side of channel. It is a difficult balance with any big northern corrections possibly mixing out the cold air consequently the precip could be of rain for us while north of M4 corridor it could fall all as snow on northern flank. Will be watching this closely as it has the potential be a good snow event for London & Southeast I stress the word potential. :)

post-19153-0-20228300-1447805149_thumb.p post-19153-0-70309600-1447805204_thumb.p

post-19153-0-93265200-1447805250_thumb.p

Ultimately northern France is stealing the show on this run..hopefully it turns more favourable for us.

post-19153-0-37649800-1447805345_thumb.p

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted

Some quite strong gusts continue here I thought it would have died down significantly by now.

Storm Barney is reluctant to wave goodbye...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Official strongest gust for my locale (Wattisham Airbase) was 58.7 mph. Nice sunny start this morning with a just few patches of mid/high cloud to spoil the sunshine. 10.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

Hoping for SNOW at the  weekend!

Posted

Lovely sunny and mild start here, with various bits of my roof sheeting dotted around the neighbours gardens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Lovely start here, the sun seems to give everyone a lift :-)

Now I'm not that bullish about the weekend looking at this mornings output BUT that's my own thought for looking into every run too much, I think I'll enjoy the rollercoaster ride today and then look deeper into things tomorrow.

The only good thing is 99% of the time in.these situations it always flip flops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I think I've got myself muddled thinking St Jude was in winter months of 2014, when it was really in October 2013 - odd doesn't seem like 2 over years. Looking at the stats I was wrong but for some odd reason that Windstorm never really stood out for me which is quite bemusing the strong winds may have occurred during the early hours? I also think there was a sting jet at play too.

STATION NAME AREA MAX GUST (MPH)

WIGHT: NEEDLES ISLE OF WIGHT 99

LANGDON BAY KENT 82

ISLE OF PORTLAND DORSET 81

ANDREWSFIELD ESSEX 79

ODIHAM HAMPSHIRE 78

THORNEY ISLAND WEST SUSSEX 76

SOLENT HAMPSHIRE 75

WIGHT: ST CATHERINES POINT ISLE OF WIGHT 75

YEOVILTON SOMERSET 75

LYNEHAM WILTSHIRE 75

HURN DORSET 74

MANSTON KENT 70

HEATHROW GREATER LONDON 69

This is an interesting read...apologies if it's familiar to you.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/s/n/18.5_PaulDavies.pdf

Personally the more ferocious the better I'm quite a junkie in terms of extreme weather, I'm aware of the dangers but what can you do its Mother Nature - we are way overdue a beast I must say.

I hadn't read the article. Thanks for posting.

I'd gone out for a morning walk during St. Jude's, with the aim of taking photos (and not waiting to see if fence panels etc. blew over at home) I got caught in the worst of it in a wooded area, when the roar through the trees was horrendous. I could also hear large cracks and was well aware of the possibility of trees falling. I had the camera filming, but the footage was unusable, due to massive camera shake (nervous) the camera swinging about wildly, as I was concerned that this or that tree might crush me and also my swearing and self admonishment... Several reasonable sized trees fell in the two or three minutes I was there; one taking out overhead cables. Locally Clacton's helter skelter blew down and power was quite widely out for much of the day - although I only suffered 30 minutes and was able to bring flasks of hot water to needy people.

Just reading about it on Wiki last night, it mentioned tremendous windspeeds recorded at the Gunfleet Sands Windfarm. As the crow flies that's only 10 miles away from here. Frankly I don't believe the numbers reported there, but it would have been good to have had an official measurement taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jude_storm

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all , well what a wild night.

lost 2 fence panels which allowed our lovely husky to escape, after looking for her for about an hour we unfortunately found her dead on the side of the road.

thanks to the asshole who didn't even have the decency to stop or even call us.

Mia (jinge) will be sadly missed, rest in peace my baby x 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

lost 2 fence panels which allowed our lovely husky to escape, after looking for her for about an hour we unfortunately found her dead on the side of the road.

Oh dear, very sorry for your loss. :sorry:

Posted

[/quote

So sorry to here that. My 1 yr old cat was ran over, but we were lucky that the person took him to the emergency vet at 4 am.

Posted

Oh I am so sorry. Sleep well Mia.

Is there CCTV on that road? It is illegal to hit a dog and drive off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Thats terrible, poor Mia. I mean running off is one thing but getting run over, really bad. 

On a more positive note, is anyone expecting a flurry or two for our area on Sat/Sun?