Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #2 Barney

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Well if the worst is over that wasn't much of a storm, about as menacing as the cute and cuddly dinosaur of the same name. A sustained spell of 60mph+ gusts might have been worthy of giving Storm status but please Met Office if we're going to start giving storm names every time anything more then a strong breeze comes through then we've all turned abit soft. Most we've had here is the odd 50mph gust!

The Met Office have to consider more than your back yard!

• Like 3

Posted

Ok hammering it down and now blowing 60-65..... Misjudement..... Trees bending over in wind..... Not really that bad but breezier than anytime this year.....

Posted

Well if the worst is over that wasn't much of a storm, about as menacing as the cute and cuddly dinosaur of the same name. A sustained spell of 60mph+ gusts might have been worthy of giving Storm status but please Met Office if we're going to start giving storm names every time anything more then a strong breeze comes through then we've all turned abit soft. Most we've had here is the odd 50mph gust!

Maybe, just maybe Upminster isn't the only place in Britain. It's bad here and if naming storms raises awareness then it's a good thing. 

• Like 2

Posted

Still very windy here, various reports of trees down in Deeside. Hawarden weather station, 3 miles away, recorded a 58mph gust, probably in the mid 60's here as I'm 100m higher and pretty exposed.

Pete 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

To be fair, Storm Abigail brought 80-90mph gusts and Barney has delivered a small area of 80mph+ gusts into Wales. 

had a power cut about and hour ago, 480 properties went down in my area, ld say twice within mins. glad l have a UPS.. tho l wasnt sure how long the power would be down for (my UPS is kinda cheap and cheerful)..

touch wood im hoping the worst has passed.

Hi timeless, could you put your location into your avatar so we all know where you're posting from, thanks :)

Posted

Were quite a few big gusts for time a short while ago in W Mids. No anemometer to hand, but estimate low-mid 50s. Not too strong, though neighbour's fence panel was punched out of the posts. Nice one, Barney.  Still gusty atm.

• Like 2

Posted

Strongest of the wind gusts expected from now up until 11pm for the NW as the windfield moves over England, highest of the gusts passing through Chester currently.

Posted

Haha I was going to reply to AdamStorms silly comment but 3 people beat me to it!

Just heard a very loud series of gusts here really made some serious noise outside my bedroom (and its in a very sheltered side of the house)  I'm guessing thats probably the strongest of the night for this part of wiltshire now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Seems to be easing off a touch here now as expected from this time onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Where are you?

So the naming of storms should be based on how severe it gets in Upminster, Essex only?

~15,000 properties are out of power across the West Midlands Region tonight, plenty in Wales too. Lots going on with reports of fallen trees. Sounds pretty stormy to me!

Hereford area. lights have flickered a few times since.

Edited by timeless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hereford area.

Cheers, if you could pop that into your profile that will help for future reference. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

It's got a bit more interesting here in the last 15 mins or so, a squally spell of about 50-55mph.

Posted

To be fair, Storm Abigail brought 80-90mph gusts and Barney has delivered a small area of 80mph+ gusts into Wales. 

Hi timeless, could you put your location into your avatar so we all know where you're posting from, thanks :)

Storm abigail 80+ winds only affected a very small area of north&west scotland aswell though?  And Barney is affecting inland areas too that are less prone to such winds surely that counts for something? Its not always only about the 3 top gusts!  Some widerspread higher sustained wind values even in some inland locations with the barney....

• Like 1

Posted

Some really big gusts now, must be over 60 mph. Getting just a touch scary now. Reminds me of the February 2014 storm. Also the wind may have become more westerly so i'm a bit more exposed.

Crosby showing as 51mph gusting to 68mph on xcweather.  North Wales - NW England looks to be one of the strongest areas of wind atm based on that (along with the East Midlands perhaps where Cranwell must be pretty exposed reporting sustained 48mph gusting 63mph).

As for here the quite strong (but not stormy) wind seems to be easing off now.

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe, just maybe Upminster isn't the only place in Britain. It's bad here and if naming storms raises awareness then it's a good thing.

Upminster always seems to dodge the worst of severe weather, I must live in the most boring weather bubble in the country.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Gusts touching 70mph here, 48mph just now.

Posted

Hmm not sure what to think its blowy nothing exceptional yet is it due to increase here. 35 recorded at London city airport

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think the worst maybe over now. I don't have an anemometer...yet, but I think there were quite a few gusts over 60 mph.

Well that was a good storm, and for once I am not being sarcastic.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Strongest winds in excess of 60mph do seem to confined in a swathe from north and west Wales through Wirral, Merseyside, Cheshire, Manchester, The Midlands, Lincs and East Anglia, gust of 63mph at Cranwell in Lincs which is well inland from wind direction. Gust of 68mph at Crosby near Liverpool.

Surprised there isn't stronger winds along Channel coast exposed to the wind can only see 55mph tops. Nothing out the ordinary here in London, though enough to loosen fence panels which happens every year once or twice.

centre of the low some 4-5mb deeper than GFS was indicating last night, UKMO nearer the mark with depth and wind strength.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted

Winds dropped here about just under an hour ago,I was expecting more but it is only a small storm.

Actually this is impressive it came that bit earlier when it was powerful here.

post-6092-0-67117000-1447795883_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Crosby showing as 51mph gusting to 68mph on xcweather.  North Wales - NW England looks to be one of the strongest areas of wind atm based on that (along with the East Midlands perhaps where Cranwell must be pretty exposed reporting sustained 48mph gusting 63mph).

As for here the quite strong (but not stormy) wind seems to be easing off now.

Yeah sounds about right. I live about a mile SE of that station.

Posted

I take back what I said earlier I spoke too soon, Barney heard me and is now getting VERY angry! Just had a 60+ I'd say!