Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #2 Barney

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

caught this while chilling out thought it would amuse peeps here given its on topic.

http://cheezburger.com/682245/twitter-takes-the-jaffa cakes-out-of-uk-storm-barney-stormbarney

Edited by timeless
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wow! Didn't think barney would be a house shaker, but jeez, he sure is creating that distinct roar sound and has sent numerous objects flying across the garden.

Quite a potent, short sharp depression indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Not too sure what the fastest gust was here, but do suspect there were at least one or two 50mph gusts as the wind was absolutely roaring at times. Doesn't look as though many trees were taken out, either, which I'm glad about. For a spell of windy weather, this has been one of the more stronger storms.

I suspect this was just a sneaky scheme from Barney to try to blow away as many snow shields as possible ready this weekend's Arctic cold blast. :spiteful:

(But seriously, though, hope those who have (and have had) power cuts and are experiencing other troubles with Barney are staying safe. As entertaining as these storms can be, they can become a bit too monstrous at times. Particularly if a Garden gnome gets knocked down...)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Let's say I wouldn't recommend cycling anywhere at 8pm, as that could be the peak of winds with gusts of 50 - 60mph, maybe higher. So could be a lot of things flying around, particularly under trees.

Well, glad to say that I made it home safely! Those winds were vicious though! Cycling home was tricky and the train from Didcot to Oxford was an eventful ride. Were stopped at a red signal for 30 mins due to a fallen tree on the line! Was certainly a potent system. A case of blink and you'll miss it though, the high winds only lasted around 6 hours here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

Well, glad to say that I made it home safely! Those winds were vicious though! Cycling home was tricky and the train from Didcot to Oxford was an eventful ride. Were stopped at a red signal for 30 mins due to a fallen tree on the line! Was certainly a potent system. A case of blink and you'll miss it though, the high winds only lasted around 6 hours here.

Well that's normal for most storms I think, St Jude was alot more of a case and blink and you'll miss it. It barely lasted an hour lol.

I hope always for a decent storm be it thunder, snow or wind, when one finally arrives the trees opposite come down  :oops:  Neighbours car and house - direct impact, there are 4 more to go... i am praying for no wind now  :help:

Jeez man, you're just up the road from me too. I bet it was howling across the top of Warley Hill last night.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Hit 58 mph a couple of times. Had a lot higher in the past though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

67 mph was the highest gust here so almost the same as the gale on the 15th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Thousands are still without power after Storm Barney - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34834799

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well I was quite impressed by last night really, brought the strongest gust of 72mph here, beating the previous of 60mph on 29th March. Much calmer out there now but still breezy. This particular low reminded me a little bit of the 27th October 2002 storm, short lived but very potent. I'd be surprised if any gale to come beats the one just gone; once again autumn producing the strongest gales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Well I was quite impressed by last night really, brought the strongest gust of 72mph here, beating the previous of 60mph on 29th March. Much calmer out there now but still breezy. This particular low reminded me a little bit of the 27th October 2002 storm, short lived but very potent. I'd be surprised if any gale to come beats the one just gone; once again autumn producing the strongest gales.

Really? I'm actually expecting a worse storm this cold season, where I live, unfortunately.

October 2002 was a lot stronger here than yesterday's effort (gusts roughly 60mph last night) which is the sort of storm I'd expect on an annual basis.

Posted

Really? I'm actually expecting a worse storm this cold season, where I live, unfortunately.

October 2002 was a lot stronger here than yesterday's effort (gusts roughly 60mph last night) which is the sort of storm I'd expect on an annual basis.

I guess the storm wasn't quite as bad over there, but we certainly had some impressive gusts for this location last night. It's rare that I record gusts over 80mph here, I've had plenty in the 70s but only October 2002, November 2009 and November 2010 have reached 80 since I started records. I think if we expect a storm like October 2002 every year we're going to be rather disappointed.

Posted

Does this next low moving in have a name?

Posted

I'm wondering why not?

post-2839-0-95240200-1447845767_thumb.gi

Similar strength gusts to "barney"

I name it... #anonymous storm 1

• Like 3

Posted

Torrential rain affecting the north west at the moment ..

Same over here in the north-east,just had the dog out for a walk and she wasn't impressed!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Gusting into the mid 40's here, showers blowing through. Temp 12c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Is this thread now "The Ghost of Barney Past" as I though we were onto a completely different, and obviously not important enough to be named, storm now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

lm thinking there are still issues relating to last nights storm around the area.. went months without any power issues, had two power cuts at the peak of last nights storm, just had another this morning.. my guess is some leftover trees that hung on may have fell. pretty annoying as l was watching something.. (thank god for the UPS).

Posted

Hello! I'm a newbie. Enthusiastic weather fan rather than having any techie knowledge! Last night Barney brought us sustained 32mph + for roughly 2 hours, gusts of 56/57 mph tops. Couple of power outages. Unusual for the low lying Thames Valley, though we have had worse. Valentines day 2014 is the last big storm to hit this area. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

This thread is just for discussion on Barney and the aftermath, there's another thread if you want to talk about todays low pressure which has nothing to do with Barney - https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/84005-atlantic-storms-autumn-2015/page-17#entry3286132 

Hello! I'm a newbie. Enthusiastic weather fan rather than having any techie knowledge! Last night Barney brought us sustained 32mph + for roughly 2 hours, gusts of 56/57 mph tops. Couple of power outages. Unusual for the low lying Thames Valley, though we have had worse. Valentines day 2014 is the last big storm to hit this area. 

Hi Frosty Hollows, welcome to the forum :) could you put your location into your avatar so we know where you're posting from, thank you  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Barney didn't do much here, 58 mph top gust. have had a 54 mph gust from today's storm at about 12:30, so not much difference really. Sustained winds were a bit more noticeable though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Maybe that low  got angry because it have got no name. That low be saying ''WHERES MY NAME!!''. :rofl: