Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
27 minutes ago, CoastRainbow said:

Who ordered me a storm for my birthday :) I am sure I said snow not storm ! 

Winds really picking up here the last hour , going to be fun walk for the train this morning !

hope everyone stays safe

Haha its mine today too!  We've maybe got a wee bit of a snow storm tonight into tomorrow  but not sure on altitude needed for that yet....

House is shaking here, I kind of fancied a lie in as well....

• Like 1

Posted

That's me @work - the roads are really horrible, and definitely a case of put your journey off until later on this morning if you can...Opposite Braehead on mate, got caught in a massive gust of wind and what seemed like someone pouring an entire swimming pool onto the carriageway - every single car slammed their brakes on as none of us could see anything... new pants required I fear.

Be careful.

• Like 1

Posted

Dundee SRS showing an average of 56 mph and strongest gust of 82mph at 6.20am!

Gale force 11 "violent storm"

Lights flickering a lot here in Monikie and it sounds/feels like the wildest storm of the winter this far. A day for staying in doors if ever there was one!

Take care everyone.

Posted

90mph recorded in Aberdeenshire. Overturned lorry on the M9, bridges closed to all traffic now too.. lots of reports of trees blocking the roads.  Stay safe folks!

Edited by Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Pretty rough winds here in Central Edinburgh too - having a west facing window on the third floor means it's difficult to escape it. The troubling part is that it's not likely to die down for at least 6 hours, and even by 3pm we're still looking at 50+mph sustained winds for some:

16012915_2900.thumb.gif.2dd8e431e4181ed5

though at least the worst of the gusts should be passed for most by around 10am, aside from this sting in the tail this evening 56ab152d57866_viewimage(1).thumb.png.0e7

By this point we should be starting to look towards snow potential, and it certainly looks interesting for tomorrow - a very nice angle of attack for the central belt:

56ab1607c1261_viewimage(2).thumb.png.48b:

DPs look fine from around 1am onwards for most, and upper air temperatures look about as cold as anything I've seen from a westerly:

16013000_2900.thumb.gif.a24864c1740f0df5 16013000_2900.thumb.gif.b03866c35ae91a8e

The main issue is the strong winds continuing, meaning it's going to be a struggle for temperatures to get to 0C, and as always there's no guarantee of sufficient precipitation, particularly the further east you go. However, some areas, at the moment maybe around South Lanarkshire through to Midlothian as the favoured spot but potential for that to shift a bit further north (and also a secondary zone around Crieff/Perth type latitude is likely to develop) could end up with upwards of 4 inches, and the Borders potentially as much as 6-8 inches if this type of thing comes off16013018_2900.thumb.gif.87aa30aa679b179f

• Like 6

Posted

Pretty wild out there, holding off going to work until there's a bit of daylight.

Leuchars reporting mean speeds of 43mph, will be considerably higher than that here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
36 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Except that's now, not 14 houyrs ago :wallbash:

If you hover the mouse over the quote, you should see a little box with a cross in it on the upper left hand side above it. If not, refresh and it should be there. Click it to highlight the quote box then press delete...

---

Fair blawin a hoolie here. Just heard a bang in the neighbour's garden; not sure what it was!

Light's flickered too. Glad the work I'm doing at home today is laptop based...

Hope my recycling is still there for the bin men. :)

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

It truly is pretty extreme a situation due to the high winds and also the fact that it brings about as much cold air as I imagine a westerly could carry all the way from Terranova. 

Rain on and off, peaking at 6am at 50mph like Benvironment, at 6.45 when I got up there was a monsoon going on out there. Still very very windy now, temps going down (8.2 from 9.9 at 1am). Nasty times, hoping school won't open as I dread the thought of leaving the house in half an hour!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A level 2 issued for Scotland from ESTOFEX.56ab22fa9da2f_Screenshot2016-01-29at08.2

http://estofex.org/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   It must have been the gust of 63.1mph at 7.15am that woke me.   Sounded like hail against the window.   Pretty wild!

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Was horrific outside for 5 minutes at about quarter to 7. The worst I've ever seen it. I think the main band of heavy squally rain which brough the really strong winds has cleared most now and the rest of the day will be windy with frequent showers with winds becoming very strong during the showers. Then tonight exactly the same but with the showers becoming snow. Although the ground will be saturated due to all the rain and the Temperature probably won't get below 0C for most, I think the snow will lie because of the intensity of the showers

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

Was horrific outside for 5 minutes at about quarter to 7. The worst I've ever seen it. I think the main band of heavy squally rain which brough the really strong winds has cleared most now and the rest of the day will be windy with frequent showers with winds becoming very strong during the showers. Then tonight exactly the same but with the showers becoming snow. Although the ground will be saturated due to all the rain and the Temperature probably won't get below 0C for most, I think the snow will lie because of the intensity of the showers

I'm glad someone else mentioned this - this morning's drive really was the worst driving conditions I've experienced in Scotland (aside from snow) - just horrible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Take care, stay safe and I sincerely hope you get through today without damage. Woke up in the night thinking about Misty and hoping her house will survive this one. From your reports it sounds dangerous to be on the roads everywhere at the moment - hope you all get safely back home to enjoy lamp post duty tonight! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Issued at:0903 on Fri 29 Jan 2016

Valid from:1200 on Fri 29 Jan 2016

Valid to:1600 on Fri 29 Jan 2016

Storm force west to southwesterly winds are expected to develop across Shetland during Friday. Frequent gusts of 80-90 mph are expected, with gusts of around 100mph likely for a time this afternoon. Additionally, as a result of these winds, very large waves will develop and affect western coasts, during high tide. Expect dangerous conditions including structural damage and debris, disruption to power supplies and widespread disruption to transport, and take action to secure loose items.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A rapidly deepening area of low pressure is expected to track close to northern Scotland during Friday. There is now high confidence that Shetland will experience the strongest winds, with gusts quite widely above 90mph and perhaps over 100mph in places. The strongest winds will have peaked by late afternoon, though a yellow warning of wind and snow is valid for Friday night and into Saturday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=os&fcTime=1454025600

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

been up since before 6am with what sounded like a freight train going past the house.  It's a bit disconcerting living under very tall trees when you hear them screaming and groaning in the wind.  The roof of the house has been tested this morning.  It would appear there is a wee bit of a lull at the moment but not for long going by my LOTW weather model prediction.  Can't make it to work either what with roads blocked and schools closed. Hoping the lecky stays on but have charged everything just in case...spoke too soon that it howling again!

Edited by snawbaw
autocorrection gave wrong spelling
  • Like 2