Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

I may well not be the best at reading the model output but all I see is a mobile westerly setup alternating from a TM/PM airflow across the UK. All bog standard UK weather to my eyes with little  sign of any cold spell on the horizon.

• Like 1

Posted

Popped down to see Sidney and the gang this morning and just happened to mention that I'd read somewhere of a forthcoming Arctic blast. He totally ignored me

Sid.thumb.jpg.519035039ba07eaf3c916b376a

and carried on munching but, just as an aside, pointed me in the direction of the latest missive from the woodshed and mumbled something about WAA from the continent. Quite ridiculous of course.

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_41.thumb.png.f824717662

Posted

Think those who are pinning there hopes on a cold and possibly snowy mid Feb are going to be bitterly disappointed! Met office update is pretty grim reading ! It has changed from mid Feb northerly/NW and colder conditions to late Feb and possibly colder but dry and settled. Think it's time to call this woeful winter as it has been all winter! Dire and virtually a done deal again! 

Edited by Neiller22
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Think those who are pinning there hopes on a cold and possibly snowy mid Feb are going to be bitterly disappointed! Met office update is pretty grim reading ! It has changed from mid Jan northerly/NW and colder conditions to late Feb and possibly colder but dry and settled. Think it's time to call this woeful winter as it has been all winter! Dire and virtually a done deal again! 

think the writings been on the wall for this winter a long time TBH ,a most dreadful winter i can imagine,ever :(

Posted
21 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

think the writings been on the wall for this winter a long time TBH ,a most dreadful winter i can imagine,ever :(

We just don't get proper seasons in this country! It's a constant variation of rain intensity, variable temps, wind strength etc all year round! And set to continue this way in the years to come! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

My thoughts have been with Easter 2016, seen much more snow around Easter time than Christmas over the years. And Easter is early this year of course, late March, what are the odds that we end up with cold and wet yucky snow and a wet and cold spring overall, with Northern blocking setting up just outside of Winter proper? Hope not personally, but when we get a pattern change it could go on for months, last decent Easterly we had in fact was in October, way too early for any snowfall of course and just typical of our luck.

To add insult to injury just take a look at UKMO 00z, the T120 chart is screaming Northerly, as we saw yesterday on the ECM, and yet the progression to T144 is quite frankly pitiful! 

UW120-21.GIF

UW144-21.GIF

Edited by snowray

Posted
46 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Think those who are pinning there hopes on a cold and possibly snowy mid Feb are going to be bitterly disappointed! Met office update is pretty grim reading ! It has changed from mid Feb northerly/NW and colder conditions to late Feb and possibly colder but dry and settled. Think it's time to call this woeful winter as it has been all winter! Dire and virtually a done deal again! 

Yup, i noticed thats its been watered down heavily today.

I saw a night of snow which melted away the next day in jan, so my rating is 0.5 out of 10, otherwise it would have been a big fat zero, i feel like im cheating giving this pathetic excuse for a winter even 0.5 !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yup, i noticed thats its been watered down heavily today.

I saw a night of snow which melted away the next day in jan, so my rating is 0.5 out of 10, otherwise it would have been a big fat zero, i feel like im cheating giving this pathetic excuse for a winter even 0.5 !!

Unfortunately I think our Winters have gone back into a milder cycle with just a bit of snow each Winter like we got from the late 90's. After a lot of hope from 2009-2013. But that looks like it has ended. Possibly starting in late 2013, let's face it since then away from highland Scotland it's been mostly rubbish for proper sustained cold and lots of snow.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
45 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

We just don't get proper seasons in this country! It's a constant variation of rain intensity, variable temps, wind strength etc all year round! And set to continue this way in the years to come! 

I completely agree with this post.

This has to be one of the most dire country's to live in the Northern Hemisphere for proper seasons. If its not enough that our winters are ridiculously mild with drenching rain and different intensity of combined wind/rain (Especially the last 2 and this one) Our summers are cool with drenching rain.. Apart from a few nice days here and there and a heatwave if we are lucky ( Although compared to other northern hemisphere locations with proper seasons even our heatwaves are nothing compared to their summers)

Just as well I love my country for all other reasons and its an absolute pleasure to live in, bar the weather, as I would have upped sticks and moved by now.

I'm Off to Montreal Mid February for 2 weeks.. Thank god! To visit friends, Where ill be able to experience proper cold and snow.

A beautiful city with proper seasons, Boiling hot summers/ cool and dry Autumns/ brutal cold winters and warm and pleasant springs. Oh what id do to for the UK to have their climate. 

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Unfortunately I think our Winters have gone back into a milder cycle with just a bit of snow each Winter like we got from the late 90's. After a lot of hope from 2009-2013. But that looks like it has ended. Possibly starting in late 2013, let's face it since then away from highland Scotland it's been mostly rubbish for proper sustained cold and lots of snow.

Yes your right alan, i know our part of the country is generally poor for snow, but amazing for rain!!

Posted

Well, the 'promising' Meto update didnt last long did it? A day or two?

Time to lay this dire, snowless (imby) Winter to rest. 

Roll on Spring - warm and dry, hopefully.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Well, the 'promising' Meto update didnt last long did it? A day or two?

Time to lay this dire, snowless (imby) Winter to rest. 

Roll on Spring - warm and dry, hopefully.

spot on my solar panels have produced 50% below the average the past 3 months  for this area the worst ever terrible .im not sure this el nino had something to do with it or not but personally i dont think it has the past 3 winters have been much the same with terrible flooding to. a sigh of the times i say this is just the start of a long down hill path for our winters:wallbash:

Edited by igloo

Posted
12 minutes ago, igloo said:

spot on my solar panels have produced 50% below the average the past 3 months  for this area the worst ever terrible .im not sure this el nino had something to do with it or not but personally i dont think it has the past 3 winters have been much the same with terrible flooding to. a sigh of the times i say this is just the start of a long down hill path for our winters:wallbash:

Good point that igloo.

People are blaming the strong el nino, but what about last winter, that wasnt a strong el nino.

I blame global warming, simples.

• Like 1

Posted

You see that towel over there? I just threw it in!

Tired of following the model thread now and seeing potential snow and cold, so no more.  We just have to accept that in the UK - wind and rain are the dominating weather factors in almost all seasons and seems to be the over riding weather pattern as this planet's climate changes.  Last year, I had a day of transient snow here in Essex.  I don't think we will even see that this year.  Granted, have had 5 days more frost - feel so sad even typing that!

I am just pleased that the fiction writers in tabloid newspapers who predicted a month of the Artic are now highlighted for who they are - story writers or fantasists. 

• Like 2

Posted

April temperatures arrived and it will get even warmer at the begining of next week. Winter just dissapeared from Europe in a blink of an eye. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes your right alan, i know our part of the country is generally poor for snow, but amazing for rain!!

Time slowly running out now with Feb clutching at straws & March 2013 was coldest for many years so not much chance of a repeat. Half a day of slush is pathetic for how far north the country is.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

This has to be one of the most dire country's to live in the Northern Hemisphere for proper seasons. If its not enough that our winters are ridiculously mild with drenching rain and different intensity of combined wind/rain (Especially the last 2 and this one) Our summers are cool with drenching rain.. Apart from a few nice days here and there and a heatwave if we are lucky ( Although compared to other northern hemisphere locations with proper seasons even our heatwaves are nothing compared to their summers)

Just as well I love my country for all other reasons and its an absolute pleasure to live in, bar the weather, as I would have upped sticks and moved by now.

I'm Off to Montreal Mid February for 2 weeks.. Thank god! To visit friends, Where ill be able to experience proper cold and snow.

A beautiful city with proper seasons, Boiling hot summers/ cool and dry Autumns/ brutal cold winters and warm and pleasant springs. Oh what id do to for the UK to have their climate. 

Couldn't agree more ,just as well that there's a bit more going for it than the weather.

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

Someone in Hertfordshire talking about summer like they live in Carlisle. :D 

Posted

METO further outlooks are as useful as a paper fireguard - not sure why they cause such irritation.  Mind you was surprised that they initially did go for a non default westerly weather pattern - the guy who produced that has probably been reprimanded:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
28 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Typical i walk away from the model thread and suddenly GFS looks better, lol its me i tell ya !! :D

i wouldnt take too much notice of it. unless the anomaly charts support some kind of pattern change , its highly unlikely to happen.

Posted
9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

i wouldnt take too much notice of it. unless the anomaly charts support some kind of pattern change , its highly unlikely to happen.

Tend to agree. Looking through today's output I can see absolutely nothing anywhere to suggest anything in the way of meaningful cold weather. A brief PM shot may be possible but given the overall pattern that is probably the absolute best that we can hope for.

Still some time into Feb, but I cant see where any change is coming from. Personally I've pretty much thrown the towel in now. Maybe worth just waiting until after the weekend though.

Posted
58 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Typical i walk away from the model thread and suddenly GFS looks better, lol its me i tell ya !! :D

Rather depends what you mean by 'looks better' but I've just nipped through the whole run and can see  nothing to make a coldies antenna even twitch, let alone go into uncontrollable vibrations.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Still some time into Feb, but I cant see where any change is coming from. Personally I've pretty much thrown the towel in now. Maybe worth just waiting until after the weekend though.

If ever this was lining up for a cold/cool/chilly spring, this 'winter' seems to be it. March 2013 was fun, as it was like a proper winter month. I'd take that. But what I despise are cold springs, especially so when they roll into April and even May - it's got chill spring anticyclonic blocking written all over it. Hopefully Feb will deliver something but after that, I'm looking only for warmth.

Edited by pureasthedriven