Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
41 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Good, I'm not keen on pm air, never delivers here, need -10 uppers, very rare with PM air

And Tm does? :doh:

I'm after sunshine / colder temperatures let alone snow possibilities. Sunshine and showers is by far more interesting than what we have now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Welcome mr wonka.

Sometimes I do ponder to myself that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.....

I like the eternal optimism that springs on here. In the UK the game is always to look for the next window of opportunity, even though 90% of the time we know the default mild crud will dominate. It's what makes this place, and the UK climate in general, so exciting!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yep, after that lovely cold and settled spell it's looking like returning back to turgid, mild and wet dross. Could see 200mm+ in Wales, Cumbria and western Scotland in the next 10 days.

Posted

Horrible outlook. Mild air sweeping through Europe. Even mountains will be without snow soon. We will need really cold air to get winter back. Continent will warm up.

Posted
5 hours ago, snow freak said:

whoever says the UK weather is unpredictable needs to think again.  I think they are fairly 'predictable'.  I can reliably predict that in the next 12 months the UK will experience a lot of wind, rain and mild temperatures....guaranteed.  If that's not predictable then I don't know what is.

I can't believe the Met Office spends all that money on supercomputers when they could just hire you for £30k. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
6 hours ago, Paul said:

. And a reminder for everyone, this isn't a thread for moaning about other members. 

where would that thread be then? 8)

:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

This winter really has been the worst I've experienced, apart from last week we've really been struggling to get even just the odd settled day here and there since November. It's actually starting to make me feel depressed now, I just hope spring can deliver something more settled. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Quick!  Be happy! man on telly say winter coming on colder...... Wot with weakening El Niño, flippin' NAO and jets reversing on the Arctic.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35375096

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

The anomalies tonight are still pretty solid in their agreement of no evidence of any significant change in the next 14 days. The, for what has become, standard upstream analysis of Aleutian LP, Alaska ridging into the Pole (perhaps more pronounced), Vortex over N. Canada with the downstream lobe N. Norway. Thus the usual story of unsettled zonal which of course doesn't preclude Pm shots into, certainly the n. half, of the UK. But generally temps around average perhaps a little above but this is of little consequence when considering the more important matter of rainfall amounts.

In the ext period, including the ecm, the trough to the NE becomes more centred over the UK with the upstream pattern remaining the same although the HP does become more Pole centred on the ecm. All this effectively relegates the Euro HP to insignificance. Temps becoming cooler. Will we proceed from here to a positive height scenario mid Atlantic?

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.9608b0749fecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.661b523gefs_z500a_5d_nh_63.thumb.png.cc0647c9cd

610day.03.thumb.gif.6aec1bb07b8a378c6229814day.03.thumb.gif.bc99031325ceec2b58f7

Edited by knocker

Posted

I see "cold zonal" is the latest offering. You can already hear the wailing & gnashing of teeth over "dreaded warm sectors". If it makes people happy though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
7 hours ago, snefnug said:

Quick!  Be happy! man on telly say winter coming on colder...... Wot with weakening El Niño, flippin' NAO and jets reversing on the Arctic.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35375096

Interesting.

This evening's long range forecast did hint at a SSW event in the second half of February and colder weather developing.

Nothing on the latest model runs which now go up to the 11th, other than brief incursions of cold air between lows.

Edited by Peter H

Posted

The GFS this morning remains in an unsettled westerly regime throughout apart from a brief interlude when the Azores HP ridges up from the SW. Systems embedded in this flow tending to run NE so much of the wet and windy weather is concentrated in the W/NW of the UK. Temps in general remain a tad above average but there is a tendency for a N/S split of Pm and TM air with the north sustaining some wintry interludes as the systems pass close, certainly bringing snow to the higher ground.

An example of the split

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur3_20.thumb.png.269c8c50

Posted

The ecm is similar and a beady has to kept on the depression that shoots west to east next Monday that at the moment is looking like it could produce gusts in the 70-80kt range for Scotland. Also after this by mid week the next system traverses the UK further south bringing some very wet and windy conditions to all. After hiting the North Sea the UK is plunged into a cold northerly briefly. I just thought I would mention this as I would hate to think I might be accused of cherry picking. :shok:

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_6.thumb.png.a66e836aaecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_7.thumb.png.6c17b8dd8ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_9.thumb.png.156933acd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
57 minutes ago, knocker said:

The ecm is similar and a beady has to kept on the depression that shoots west to east next Monday that at the moment is looking like it could produce gusts in the 70-80kt range for Scotland. Also after this by mid week the next system traverses the UK further south bringing some very wet and windy conditions to all. After hiting the North Sea the UK is plunged into a cold northerly briefly. I just thought I would mention this as I would hate to think I might be accused of cherry picking. :shok:

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_6.thumb.png.a66e836aaecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_7.thumb.png.6c17b8dd8ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_9.thumb.png.156933acd

Is that it? Is that your cold plunge post,iv'e been waiting for?

Well done,you've done it,do you feel liberated?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, cornish snow said:

Is that it? Is that your cold plunge post,iv'e been waiting for?

Well done,you've done it,do you feel liberated?

Of course not that's the aperitif.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

" I just thought I would mention this as I would hate to think I might be accused of cherry picking."

In the balmy breezes of Cornwall them cherries probably ready to be picked!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

The ecm is similar and a beady has to kept on the depression that shoots west to east next Monday that at the moment is looking like it could produce gusts in the 70-80kt range for Scotland. Also after this by mid week the next system traverses the UK further south bringing some very wet and windy conditions to all. After hiting the North Sea the UK is plunged into a cold northerly briefly:shok:

Not necessarily briefly knocker with subtle heights building into Iceland it be a bit more prolonged should the Atlantic undercut the ridge. 

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Not necessarily briefly knocker with subtle heights building into Iceland it be a bit more prolonged should the Atlantic undercut the ridge. 

Oh indeed but we talking ten days down the line here so two observations. One: Will the analysis as it stands verify? And two: even if it did would you take the evolution post this chart as likely to be a prolonged cold spell,

Don't you just love that little shortwave:)

Place your bets

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_11.thumb.png.2446f8c

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

in the words of the late great oliver hardy "i have nothing to say"

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

Oh indeed but we talking ten days down the line here so two observations. One: Will the analysis as it stands verify? And two: even if it did would you take the evolution post this chart as likely to be a prolonged cold spell,

Don't you just love that little shortwave:)

Place your bets

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_11.thumb.png.2446f8c

You're a rascal knocker.:D