Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I do wonder if IRA252 has his own fantasy of what the weather should be and assumes it just rinses and repeats every year? I remember more cyclonic ends to February and early Marches than anticyclonic.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
8 hours ago, cheese said:

Winter 2014-2015: sunniest on record? February 2008: widely over 100 hours? I'm assuming you were asleep during the entirety of both, or maybe Stafford was miraculously cloudy and wet? It's been lovely and sunny here for the past week with only a day or two of rain and that shows no signs of changing. Just rain on Wednesday but nothing else.

Please stop exaggerating all the time - it's extremely unhelpful and achieves nothing.

Winter 06 basically had high pressure for the entirety.

Feb 13 for the most part (around 20 days without rain).

Feb's 09 and 12 were broadly anti-cyclonic.

Posted

Excitement is mounting once again in the Flakes thread over next week. Amazing what one GFS run can do.

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur3_37.thumb.png.3373781b

Not sure I will be holding my breath

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.b3526568b0gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_41.thumb.png.d23574e6c9

Knocker

Founder member of the Fanatical Mild Ramping Group. (We prey on coldies who get separated from the pack)

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

They will soon turn amber and then red!:crazy:..1cm of slush on the way, very dangerous for footpaths and roads:rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

Relax...most places will see rain..sleet at best (cough!).

Followed by much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Me? Not bothered anymore. This season is toast as far as I'm concerned. One huge snowless epic fail. Waiting for Spring now.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Relax...most places will see rain..sleet at best (cough!).

Followed by much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Me? Not bothered anymore. This season is toast as far as I'm concerned. One huge snowless epic fail. Waiting for Spring now.

I heard on the grapevine that March could be cold, at least for the first few days...watch this space..:shok::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 minutes ago, Karl. said:

I heard on the grapevine that March could be cold, at least for the first few days...watch this space..:shok::D

noaa anomaly charts dont really support much of a cold spell early march (ok they dont quite go out to march) but the theme is still a westerly or north of westerly flow. looking 'below average' at worst. :)

Posted

The government are having a cobra meeting to discuss the serious implications that 1cm of slush could bring...very worrying times indeed.:wink:

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

noaa anomaly charts dont really support much of a cold spell early march (ok they dont quite go out to march) but the theme is still a westerly or north of westerly flow. looking 'below average' at worst. :)

I wasn't being serious mushy, just having a bit of fun..well as much fun as a coldie could have in the crappest winter since Err...last winter:rofl:

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Hey?

Thats just not true. Just look at the February of the 1990s  and how many ended like that.

Indeed .... memory plays tricks on us sometimes - especially when you get to my age.  This compare date for the last sixty odd years is a quick reference rather than trawling back through all the archives. I've set it to the 25th of February but you can change the date in drop down menu.

Every weather type imaginable....

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=25&month=2&hour=0&map=0&mode=1&type=ncep

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, Karl. said:

I wasn't being serious mushy, just having a bit of fun..well as much fun as a coldie could have in the crappest winter since Err...last winter:rofl:

yeah sometimes its hard to convey/understand abit of humour if you have youre serious head on!

however ive read posts suggesting cold unsettled and blocked cold...

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

New York, just had a massive rise in temp

Sunday morning - 1F

Just now - 52F

I watched a web cam, 24 hours ago, still below freezing, they got a few hours of snow (a covering)

Overnight, temps went above freezing, snow turned to rain

Heavy rain there now, with no traces of snow left at all

Big surge of mild temperatures, had no problem at all, pushing away that frigid cold air

Not saying the Uk is getting the same, but it'll be 13c across part of the south-west this Saturday

Even if people do get a bit of the white stuff, you'd better get out there and enjoy it right away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A nasty day tomorrow with lots of cold rain with the odd flake mixed in & a stiff breeze - great. What a dreadful Winter this has been. Been like pulling teeth to get more than a couple of inches deep snow. Wouldn't surprise me if we get more snow in March than anything we've had this Winter. Or even April like in 1998 & 2000.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
20 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

New York, just had a massive rise in temp

Sunday morning - 1F

Just now - 52F

I watched a web cam, 24 hours ago, still below freezing, they got a few hours of snow (a covering)

Overnight, temps went above freezing, snow turned to rain

Heavy rain there now, with no traces of snow left at all

Big surge of mild temperatures, had no problem at all, pushing away that frigid cold air

Not saying the Uk is getting the same, but it'll be 13c across part of the south-west this Saturday

Even if people do get a bit of the white stuff, you'd better get out there and enjoy it right away

no doubt this will be time when the old wife's tale about us always getting what the eastern USA gets comes true.

apart from the bit of snow of course.

• Like 1

Posted

Apparently things are on the up once more with talk of blocking, increasing snow risk starting next week and especially March which could plunge into the freezer. Well what do this evening's anomalies suggest for the next 14 days?

The 6-10 days are all on the same page with the Aleutian low, ridging over western N. America, vortex N. Canada with an arm stretching east and HP away to the SW of the UK. Thus a W/WNW regime which will bring periods of unsettled wet and windy weather to the UK, more particularly the north with temps variable as systems swing through but generally around average.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.3ad4629gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.e3bb4710ae610day.03.thumb.gif.fdd5afb070522580bfc6

In the ext period no huge change. The GEFS is slightly more amplified upstream and there is a slight difference in emphasis vis the trough in the eastern Atlantic so essentially remaing in the westerly regime with the flow perhaps veering NW which could introduce a more wintry aspect to the unsettled weather although overall the temps remaining around average perhaps a tad below.

No indication of any blocking or indeed the likelihood of any sustained cold or snowy period.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.099a728202814day.03.thumb.gif.5f66228975a6d98ef9c5

Edited by Paul
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Although the lower dew points come in here fairly quickly, I can't imagine hull seeing any meaningful snowfall, even that of the falling variety. Living so low and close to the humber is an awful situation...not just living in hull in general. 

Posted
2 hours ago, PerfectStorm said:

Although the lower dew points come in here fairly quickly, I can't imagine hull seeing any meaningful snowfall, even that of the falling variety. Living so low and close to the humber is an awful situation...not just living in hull in general. 

You picked probably the worst period for measurable snowfall in the last 40 years to come for your degree course unfortunately! 37 months with nothing measurable now. I can't remember a period like it!

Posted

Dunno I think for our location we do quite well for snow we had an good covering last Feb here though it quickly melted by dinnertime. Has being poor since 2013 admittedly but we did very well from 2009-2013 numerous heavy snowfalls. I must admit do miss the good old northerly toppler watching the night sky turn orange and the snow showers piling in from the north sea. Don't expect nothing but cold rain from this event so won't be dissapointed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, reef said:

You picked probably the worst period for measurable snowfall in the last 40 years to come for your degree course unfortunately! 37 months with nothing measurable now. I can't remember a period like it!

I know you are in the east and obviously more prone to north sea snow showers etc but your height above sea level (or lack of it) probably doesn't help, I would have thought you are close to sea level. Over here in the west I have had measurable snow in mid January and also January last year. The only time I have had less than measurable snow in a Winter was early 2014 when all we had was a dusting one evening in February and I have lived in this house for over 40 years. I bet if you lived on the Wolds or thereabouts above 70 metres you would have had measurable snow in the past 37 months.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

Compared to cities like Manchester and Liverpool Hull does far better for snow but last few winters have being pretty dire jst to marginal though we got lucky here last Feb and caught an little streamer in the early hours  that give us an few cms was quickly gone in the Feb sunshine the following morning though. An northerly or north easterly is best for snow here the latter is the holy grail for decent heavy snow and much better then an over rated Easterly but that's because recent easterly jst havent been that good. But imagine living somewhere like Plymouth or on the south coast were jst seeing an flake in an average winter is hard enough. Most of lowland England and Wales hasn't seen any decent long lasting snow for the last few winters and look at Aberdeen there usually get at least one heavy fall in most winters going by some of the posters there haven't seen an decent fall for an good few years either. 

Edited by Hessle Owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Any more flake chasers ready to throw the towel in on this sorry joke of a season? 

Come on...you know it makes sense.

Might as well chase bubbles on a windy day...you've as much chance of catching one as you have of seeing snow on the ground in the dying days of this wretched season.

• Like 1

Posted

how long until we start looking for Spring warmth?

This winter has been an absolute car crash - possibly even worse than the two that went before it and I never thought that would be possible.

• Like 2