Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Coldies should be happier with the general outlook for the next 2 to 4 weeks or so because temperatures are expected to average out somewhere below average so there should be more in the way of frosts and some sleet and snow too which is a far cry from the exceptional warmth we had during the first month of winter which also included that dreadful flooding...very mild weekend coming up for the southern half of the uk but really I'm not seeing much in the way of mild weather beyond that if the experts are right!...so chin up coldies, the end of this winter and early spring looks generally colder!:)

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Karl. said:

Coldies should be happier with the general outlook for the next 2 to 4 weeks or so because temperatures are expected to average out somewhere below average so there should be more in the way of frosts and some sleet and snow too which is a far cry from the exceptional warmth we had during the first month of winter which also included that dreadful flooding...very mild weekend coming up for the southern half of the uk but really I'm not seeing much in the way of mild weather beyond that if the experts are right!...so chin up coldies, the end of this winter and early spring looks generally colder!:)

Erm karl you do realise there is persistant and heavy rain forecast for the north west over the next 2 to 3 days? :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Erm karl you do realise there is persistant and heavy rain forecast for the north west over the next 2 to 3 days? :(

Probably should have stated Monday onwards. The boundary of mild and cold certainly looks very wet over the weekend.

I'm spending the weekend in London, however, and am wondering whether to pack shorts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Indeed..the next 2-3 days look quite worrying. How long until that yellow warning goes Amber...again!!!

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes I know that, I was meaning the further outlook which looks generally colder than average but I've noticed the mood has gone very flat now so it's probably too little too late. Anyway I've tried to keep spirits up this winter even when I have been feeling like pulling my hair out in frustration.

• Like 2

Posted

Want some warmer weather now tbh but I just know we're never seeing that Azores high again until November.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

At least Easter is in March this year, much like 2008. I have a friend from Spain visiting over that weekend so no doubt it will snow just to be extra harsh. 

Yes maybe an increased chance of a white one then, though who knows maybe we will get a late March like 2012 (probably very unlikely indeed..)

I just hope we get a decent summer (can El Nino finally allow something decent for us?)

1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

i wouldnt mind so much if my work didnt depend on normal weather (at least). ive earned £0 for 9 weeks and needs to be getting out soon (gardening/grass cutting).

i must admit though, that cold spell 3 years ago was rather nice, i like the snow in longer days, light levels etc make it seem more alpine then arctic.

Ah fair enough, I was really thinking of cold snaps with some spring-like spells in-between that I wouldn't mind. Was going to say I wouldn't really enjoy March 2013 month being repeated exactly as it was just grey and cold with nearly no snow here, however I like the longer days with more time to see all weather types (and in general to get outside more), so I expect that could include snow (if it didn't melt).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Where is Knocker?

Posted
23 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Where is Knocker?

In the woodshed :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

160222.png

bbc lost the plot for monday? what's this? monday on other models looks horrid washout with NW winds, would love it if this bbc chart was right

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Karl. said:

The Ecm 12z ensemble mean has got me dreaming of a cold spell with increasing snow potential next week which could last beyond...Arctic air digging south as next week progresses and a cold pool establishing and look how far south the polar front jet goes!..BANK:D:cold-emoji:

Reem1201.gif

Reem1202.gif

Reem1441.gif

Reem1681.gif

Reem1681.gif

Reem1921.gif

Reem2161.gif

Well frosty me old mucker, all the wind and rain today and tomorrow will be worth every drop if the ecm comes off.

I really hope the long suffering coldies get what they so richly deserve next week :)

After throwing the towel and fetching out of the ring at least 3 times surely to goodness we get lucky this time!

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
12 minutes ago, Karl. said:

The Ecm 12z ensemble mean has got me dreaming of a cold spell with increasing snow potential next week which could last beyond...Arctic air digging south as next week progresses and a cold pool establishing and look how far south the polar front jet goes!..BANK:D:cold-emoji:

Frosty (I will use your real name!!!), if anyone on here deserves some snow this winter, it would have to be you (and Nick Sussex) for your tireless posting and looking for chinks of light in a generally awful winter!  Fingers crossed for us all.

• Like 2

Posted

yes, no snow likely for South under 200m, winter over for these areas, but you could well see snow before April, not a bad location

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beeb are showing a chance snow for the Midlands mid next week if the low tracks south if it goes north it will be milder

Then by the end of the week they are going for a return to milder air

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

The beeb are showing a chance snow for the Midlands mid next week if the low tracks south if it goes north it will be milder

bbc then similar to this week then, I can believe the return to milder air though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

I see that ECM is going to try a channel assault followed by a northerly. It will fail, of course.  But what do we do if it doesn't?

Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Day said:

Frosty (I will use your real name!!!), if anyone on here deserves some snow this winter, it would have to be you (and Nick Sussex) for your tireless posting and looking for chinks of light in a generally awful winter!  Fingers crossed for us all.

Thank you...fingers crossed for all the coldies:cold-emoji::)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Well frosty me old mucker, all the wind and rain today and tomorrow will be worth every drop if the ecm comes off.

I really hope the long suffering coldies get what they so richly deserve next week :)

After throwing the towel and fetching out of the ring at least 3 times surely to goodness we get lucky this time!

Let's hope so me old mucker:D

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

*snorts*    what you mean like the last 6 failed attempts?    :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
45 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

I see that ECM is going to try a channel assault followed by a northerly. It will fail, of course.  But what do we do if it doesn't?

Lament the lack of cold pooling in the high Arctic would be my guess.  While the ECMWF is close to being the best that cold/snow lovers could hope for out of the current situation, the anomalous warmth of the Arctic and the high SSTs around the British Isles would render conditions a lot more marginal than we would normally expect with 850hPa temperatures around -8C.

Posted

It would be a grand irony if a cold spell was scuppered by anomalously high SSTs given how we had to suffer below-average SSTs during the summer. Any half-decent synoptics then would have given us impressive warmth given the heat on the near continent, but we had to suffer constant cool NWerlies instead (don't even mention the cloudfest of 1st July). A total waste - and our luck has barely changed since. Time for something different...

• Like 1

Posted

you can bet the  spring and summer will be cool and cloudy with winds  mostly from the northwest qaudrant, from the cooler north altantic, simlar to 2015

seems to out winters are becoming  above average, and our summers  below average , only in blighty 

Posted
33 minutes ago, IanR said:

you can bet the  spring and summer will be cool and cloudy with winds  mostly from the northwest qaudrant, from the cooler north altantic, simlar to 2015

seems to out winters are becoming  above average, and our summers  below average , only in blighty 

I love the positive attitude in here, it's so refreshing to see someone writing off summer even though it's still over 3 months away..Bravo:clap:

• Like 5