Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Maybe you should watch Gavin Partridge excellent video analysing the charts and the winter of 1946-7 even he states its one of his pet hates when people say the winter didnt start until late Jan 1947..

And for so long, I've been lurking here and got the wrong one! 

Alan-Partridge-Reasons-05-16x9-1.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Are things really that bad @nick sussex you're ramping up the NAVGEM?! It does look good mind!! lol :)

I wouldn't say ramping that would imply I had confidence in its output. Merely using it to show the type of evolution that people should be looking out for and yes its T144hrs output is very nice!lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
Just now, Essex snowman said:

hey frosty got your Stella waiting to drink in the snow may have to wait but not to long :-) 

Cheers:drunk:

After a record warm winter so far I think the next few weeks or more are certainly looking better for those of us who like our winters to be more seasonal and with all the bitter cold to the NE...at least parts of the UK could see some snow..fingers crossed!.:cold-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
54 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I may be missing something but has the easterly under discussion from around the 5th of January not always been modeled to be a largely Scottish event? There's still a possibility of some pretty cold conditions for much of the country to my eyes, the GFS 06 hz run keeping this trend going.

Yes. The coldest uppers stay over the other side of the North Sea on the GFS 6z. However with an easterly flow you don't need to rely completely on the upper air temps for snow or living on high ground as the dew point is usually a good deal lower from a continental easterly feed as opposed to one from another source like Polar Maritime.

Edited by Medlock Vale
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Some really cool dry air out to our NE.

00.png

We just need to tap into it!

Edited by Carlrg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

As may have come across in my sparse postings I,m of the opinion that developments into January will be a slow chiller ( I can't bring myself to use the phrase slow burner what with the blowtorch crap we've been enduring) and this mornings gfs 06z FI is the sort of thing I mean with a trough over us that becomes colder over time as the high latitude blocking starts to feed colder sourced air into the mix.  I.m still of the opinion that it will be well into January or early Feb before real nationwide deep cold arrives and with it the risk of more widespread snowfall away from the usual prime spots.

Edited by mcweather
  • Like 1

Posted

Another Yo Yo day of predictions by the looks . Love reading all the views but all we want to know is when it will be cold enough for a drop of the whitestuff. I still find it confusing that so called weather models can be so different at the same timescales makes little sense . can somebody explain in less than 100 words , Ta

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

As far as I'm concerned, we need that trough to push through the UK and allow our focus for ridges to shift to the W/NW of the UK as opposed to NE. I know this opinion is shared by a number of others on here, and agree with the notion of 'no pain, no gain' being applicable for Jan 2016.

It's just a big shame that this will mean a lot more flooding problems up north unless the trough can shift further south than currently indicated. I fear that we may see something not far off November 2009 which is the wettest single month that I've recorded in the past two decades - but live in hope that it won't be sustained for as long in Jan 2016. 

Looking at the ECM 00z det. +240 chart, the behaviour of the trough meeting the SW tip of Greenland catches my eye, as Steve Murr has in times past spoken of a split of low heights there as being a precursor to substantial blocking across Greenland.

ECH1-240.GIF?30-12

The trouble with the GFS det. runs out to +240 is that they keep phasing disturbances with the mid-Atlantic trough, pumping up and sustaining it in-situ, as opposed to allowing a disturbance across the U.S. to move more slowly and interact with the jet independently of the existing trough, such as ECM does. Only in that way can we have the mid-Atlantic trough winding down and moving through the UK, opening the door to height rises to our NW and, ideally, W. 

The GFS 06z det. does have a good go at that late-on (below-left), albeit with the ridge coming up more through the UK - but that's plenty sufficient enough IF the ridge can get around the issue of shortwaves trying to keep it from reaching up to Greenland. The outcome isn't helped by the fact that the Arctic blocking moves in strange ways during that period, being suddenly drawn as far west as central Canada. 

The parallel 18z GFS det. from yesterday made a better effort of it (below-central and right).

gfs-0-384.png?6gfs-0-384.png?18       gfsnh-0-372.png

I know these charts are way out in time, but I find them worth considering due to how well they fit with expected trends in response to the MJO and stratospheric activity.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Minuscule details but the GFS is throwing out a better undercut. 

gfs-0-54.png?12  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Gibby your work is appreciated and none bias and lots of respect from myself and many others.

models this morning where heart breaking after days of ramping this morning I was looking at double decker buses lol.

problem is things didn't come with in a realistic time frame.

but there is clearly  massive background noise most like from decreasing Nino mjo and without the ideas of major blocking and vortex attacks.

stratosphere also busy and this will really make models work hard for there outputs.

but because of these reasons there is also chance of upgrades to colder theme and cooler is a start.

fingers crossed things might be positive again on the 12z

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just a general reminder before we start on the 12z runs please try and keep on topic and post any other stuff to the appropiate threads.Items such as Met office outlooks,past Winters and banter all have their own threads.

This will all help to make this thread easier to read for everyone interested in your views on the charts.

Thanks all.:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

gfs-0-78.thumb.png.97e9d5122d9adf7fc4e66

could the low to the west of Ireland stop scandi ridge progressing west or will it help looks like ridge retreating back northeast.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted
26 minutes ago, Tim Brawn said:

Another Yo Yo day of predictions by the looks . Love reading all the views but all we want to know is when it will be cold enough for a drop of the whitestuff. I still find it confusing that so called weather models can be so different at the same timescales makes little sense . can somebody explain in less than 100 words , Ta

1 word

NO

• Like 9

Posted
3 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

The big question is, will it help us to go cold down the line - the big unknown!

I would say so..

I'd have thought if it were not for such I reckon we'd be entrenched in THIS for winter 15/16. The knock-on effects may not be truly known by the models at this stage, with WAA ongoing. The great escape is on? 

Posted

gfs-0-102.png?12

The development of the 1000mb low just SSW of the main low is one to watch. It's development - or non development - could have a major role on the fine detail for the UK by T120.  To prolong the cold (in the north that is!!), we are looking for it to interact with the main low in such a way that does not allow a major mild sector to develop behind it, and preferably drags the main low into Europe with it. The second low behind it could be useful for that too. Doesn't quite look like ti'll manage it this time.

All still in the balance - though no need to buy a sledge in the south based on this run so far!!

Edited by Man With Beard

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

all i can  say i cannot  see any let up to this horrible weather looks like more rain heading our way, some areas on high ground might see some white stuff  if they are lucky

• Like 1