Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
28 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Tis a bit of nightmare trying to work out the best day to go for a drive up top! I've been tracking the Met office app and particularly great mis tor (between Princetown and Tavistock) the summit is 538 metres and it flits between not alot and alot of snow for the next week. I'd hope though there would be some lying snow there at some time! Its an easy tor to walk to about a mile from the car park.....bit of a climb though.

I'll do anything to find snow! Just had some sleety showers with hail mixed in. Temperature: 5.6°C Dew Point: 3.8°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Bit milder than yesterday, starting the day at nearly 5C. Feels colder though thanks to the wind which sounds quite gusty at times.

Not getting hopes up for snow here as precipitation and cold enough air never seem to cross over. I may be proved wrong but it seems it was easier to get snow showers this time last year than at the moment, despite a more northerly element to the wind this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Really chilly wind today coming from the W, but backing WNW. 5.5C. Dry today so far. But thicker clouds moving in now. 

Posted

Well after having the first sub-10C maxima of the winter on the 5th January.. we look like getting the first below average maxima today, if only just. 

Currently 6.7C with showery rain, some frequent brief showers earlier included bits of hail. Max so far 7.2C

Posted

Well it feels like winter today with the gusty NW wind and temperature of 6.7c at the moment, will be interesting to see if anything remotely wintry can fall once showers arrive soon! Just to show how balmy it has been, yesterday's 7.1c max was the lowest max since November.

I have adjusted the thermostat to 18c after it sitting at 16c them 17c all winter so far, we are fortunate to have a warm house with the living room and our bedroom South facing but even I am feeling a bit chilly today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day after tomorrow.

Ok its now official, winter has arrived! 

Plymouth  has a 6% chance of snow tomorrow. 

Brrr its gona be brutal.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just experienced a light sleet shower here on Mendip but only brief and certainly isn't cold enough for snow.

Fingers crossed for Thursday early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
39 minutes ago, BM4PM said:

Ok its now official, winter has arrived! 

Plymouth  has a 6% chance of snow tomorrow. 

Brrr its gona be brutal.

You're not getting your weather updates from the Herald are you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Chilly day in the wind, a few light showers around as well.

Temp: 7.3°C - Hum: 66% - Dew: 1.6°C - Bar: 1004.96hPa - Wind: WNW @ 10mph

Posted
1 hour ago, festivalking said:

You're not getting your weather updates from the Herald are you :)

Was on the 10 day glace forcast from netweather. Makes me wonder how they came up with 6%,  as imo its 0%.

Reckon you may be in with a shout of seeing a flake or two.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

So... Anyone able to give me the low down on current West Country thinking please? Ta! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, khodds said:

So... Anyone able to give me the low down on current West Country thinking please? Ta! 

If ukmo was to be correct on last run we might stand a chance of a snow event but currently I think it seems like a slim chance for us in this region even at elevation khodds. :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

I wonder though, looking at the GFS and that stalling front for Monday. Currently no cigar for us down here in the south west, but these fronts always battle to get in the cold air. Seen it many a time that the front stalls further west with any run. So by tomorrow that front might be producing the goods  on mulle...Nights king's hill. Of course like 2013 these stalling fronts promised so much and then ended up stalling further and further west and south that it did not make land fall at all. 

So at the moment not much snow about for us folk but we're not out the game just yet (that will be tomorrow when sods law indicates that UKMO  flips to mild :wallbash:)

Posted
8 minutes ago, khodds said:

I reckon just about anywhere will see a flake but temps are to high for it to settle. After all the mild weather we`ve had, sea temps around the coasts are high which modifys the air. I surf and ive never felt the water as warm as it has been, this far into the winter.

Dartmoor, mendips and coltswolds would be your best bet for a few cm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Thanks all... Off to center parcs at longleat this weekend, hopefully limited wifi so I can get away from these blooming models! 

• Like 1

Posted

Here must be the unluckiest place for any exciting weather, all last years storms split as they went passed here to the east and west by like 10 miles then the spilt reformed as it went past. A snow event a few years back went over here gave about 0.5cm then as it went passed here started back building giving places a right ole covering. Last years snow missed here by like 5 miles.  I need to move or something lol.

Actually we done pretty well in December 2010? (I think) here when a channel streamer set up, Fergie said look out for it at the time and it didn't half deliver! :) 

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Just trawled through half a dozen pages of the Mod thread.. it never seems to get less bewildering. Time and again when there's a whiff of cold weather about you get folk adamantly refusing to believe it until the UK model is on board, now it's the UK model brandishing the snow wand, the same folk won't believe until the GFS&ECM say the same.

You seriously couldn't make it up. 

• Like 4

Posted

I agree ,and still posting charts 7 or 8 days hence which never materialise. One thing ive learnt from many years of this is the BBC forecasts 3 or 4 days in advance are far superior.

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Just trawled through half a dozen pages of the Mod thread.. it never seems to get less bewildering. Time and again when there's a whiff of cold weather about you get folk adamantly refusing to believe it until the UK model is on board, now it's the UK model brandishing the snow wand, the same folk won't believe until the GFS&ECM say the same.

You seriously couldn't make it up. 

Think the problem is that some of the posters in there genually dont know what they`re on about so it gives a mixed picture when you read it. 

Its a shame, some of them are very knowledgeable and they put a lot of effort into their posts, only for all of it to be ruined by rampers and wined up merchants.

Edited by BM4PM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Here must be the unluckiest place for any exciting weather, all last years storms split as they went passed here to the east and west by like 10 miles then the spilt reformed as it went past. A snow event a few years back went over here gave about 0.5cm then as it went passed here started back building giving places a right ole covering. Last years snow missed here by like 5 miles.  I need to move or something lol.

Actually we done pretty well in December 2010? (I think) here when a channel streamer set up, Fergie said look out for it at the time and it didn't half deliver! :) 

Re- The channel streamer. Yeah I was living in Patchway at the time and from what I remember it dropped a good 3 or 4 inches during the evening over quite a small area. A good night! I'm about to move to North Yate so hopefully things will improve!

Edited by John88B