Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
19 minutes ago, katemart said:

I looooved Mr CrazySnowFan and he was the main reason I signed up to this crazy site many years ago. I do miss his way of speaking.

Hoping for at least one day off working at home next week. And lots of late night natters on here, lamppost watching. But if it doesn't happen from this cold snap I shall be grateful for some frosts and blue skies and NO SODDING RAIN!

4.1C and falling, 1012mb and rising, DP -0.3C and falling, 73% humidity and rising. So it's all going in the right direction :santa-emoji:

Right, my 10-day forecast seems to have had an upgrade since this afternoon so I'm about to brave the MAD forum....

"we is expectings lotss of snowwwws soooon.  6 meterz snowww driftss" :D Loved that guy.

Yeah I hope we can get to that point where anything that falls out of the sky will be snow. It seems way too marginal for thursday/friday.. nothing worse than expecting snow and looking out your window to see nothing but rain. I feel like the beginning of next week is our best chance. Enjoy the crisp, frosty mornings on the weekend and hope there's enough ppn around on Monday. 

• Like 1

Posted

I agree with the sentiments of the old adage of getting the cold in first. Some of our most memorable west country snow has been from troughs appearing out of nowhere at very little notice, moving through embedded cold, or the battleground scenarios which might currently be showing as rain/sleet on the models. The inherent instability in such cold air masses and the combination of (relatively) warm SSTs combined with the fact that most of us in this region are somewhere close (ish) to coastal influences mean that things are more likely to crop up at close range out of nowhere (Pembrokeshire danglers, Bristol Channel streamers etc.), once the cold has had time to make the air frigid in our neck of the woods.

It's really not worth paying too much close attention to model output for ppn. Much more important, imo, is that we get a few days worth of cold airmass over the region and then it's all to play for.

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 4

Posted

Be interesting to see the 06z +48 EURO4

Here is the 00z if only it went two more frames :rofl:

16011500_1300.gif

Posted

Partly cloudy with temp 4C and a zephyr from the SW

W COUNTRY OUTLOOK 1/3 Trend to drier, clearer, cold conditions Fri into weekend, before 'messy' attempt(s?) of frontal progression frm W...

W COUNTRY 2/3...of uncertain timing & with potential for snow on leading edge. Higher pressure nearby rest of Jan & still generally cold...

W COUNTRY 3/3... but current longer-range signs for rtn to avg temps early Feb, albeit w potential for cold conditions to return at any time

Edited by knocker

Posted

Mornin' all, clear and starry this morning, currently:

Temp  0.9°C

DP  -1.2°C

WInd Calm

RH 86%

1013.5 mb Steady

First time in a long time the car thermometer shows 0C

Posted

Still looks like rain on my overnight forecast, but I'll be very happy to see snow. Not that it'll stop my commute to work much! Frost on grass here tho temps don't seem to have dipped below 1.5C. Currently dry,bright and cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

An icy windscreen this morning, first for a while and I think only the second for me this winter so far. temps seem to be just above freezing which makes a nice change, looking like a lovely morning out now here in Bristol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Morning all, temp was 2.3c at 6:30 this morning now at 0.7c. Had to scrape the car for school run. Winter coat is out of the wardrobe so anyone that knows me will know it will be feeling colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The cottage in Cornwall we stayed in last week had a bulging bookcase full of books related to local interest/history, one of which was a photographic history, loads of pictures going back to the very beginning of photography. Amongst all the photos were lots taken in the winter of 1890/91, deep, deep snow and frozen seas in Cornwall - of all places! Had a quick look on here and found an archived thread from Weather History; this weather chart led to deep snow all over the SW:

Rslp18901219.gif

Admittedly the cold weather then was much more entrenched than it is now, or will be in the near future, but as a model reading numpty who just sees different/coloured shaped blobs, I'll be on the lookout for any which resemble the ones in that chart. Who knows, with all the apparent strange goings on in the NH this winter, maybe we will get one of those elusive Scandinavian highs which led to the cold that year - I may even have a vague idea of what one looks like now, although I'm not convinced my senile brain has got it sorted just yet, I think it's that round, yellow blob on the right hand side???

More on that cold winter here:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

2.6c .  Clear . Sunny.     Low of 1.6c. With a frost. At 07:34.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well local forecast shows nothing for tonight except for highest parts of Exmoor then it looks like a cold frosty spell before return to rain from the west next week. :nonono:

Slight frost this morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
54 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Well local forecast shows nothing for tonight except for highest parts of Exmoor then it looks like a cold frosty spell before return to rain from the west next week. :nonono:

Slight frost this morning.

Yep I'm feeling underwhelmed by the upcoming cold spell and the forecasts locally. Especially as the MO thread is celebrating wildly about next week. My issue is that no frost are predicted now and while others suggest the cold is to stay all next week it appears locally we'll be up to 7c by Wednesday next week. This is from the BBC weather app which gets its info from the met office the same met office that the MO thread are toasting for keeping the UK cold way into next week. Confused :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There was some ice on the car this morning, but nothing frosty on the ground. A low of 0.7°C on the module at 1.5m and 1.1°C at 4.5m.

Sunny with lots Of Cirrus at the moment.

Temp: 7.5°C - Hum: 60% - Dew: 0.1°C - Bar: 1019.19hPa - Wind: WSW @ 4mph

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

There was some ice on the car this morning, but nothing frosty on the ground. A low of 0.7°C on the module at 1.5m and 1.1°C at 4.5m.

Sunny with lots Of Cirrus at the moment.

Temp: 7.5°C - Hum: 60% - Dew: 0.1°C - Bar: 1019.19hPa - Wind: WSW @ 4mph

Yeah, twas frosty on the ground round our way, grass had a real good glistening coat on it.

Posted
1 hour ago, dec10snow said:

WE HAD SNOW!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Okay, I admit it was the lightest of showers which lasted about a minute, but it was snow nonetheless! Let's hope for some surprises in the rest of the showers today then! :cold:

OK this has to be seen as ramping, do we allow such things in this calm environment?:sorry:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm not picky, I'll take it!!!!!

If a bit of wet snow makes my daughter think she's Elsa even for a few seconds, happy days.

image.jpeg

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Perhaps a mix of rain & wet snow for higher ground, but I can't see a great deal to get excited about if i'm honest!

56964c9817989_viewimage(2).thumb.png.3f756964c9e4bbf9_viewimage(3).thumb.png.0d5

56964d72a39ed_viewimage(4).thumb.png.f2856964d7663d66_viewimage(5).thumb.png.e06

WBFL will fall lower in heavier precip. More favourable conidtions spread in after the first front has gone through, the wrap-around may produce some wintry showers North of the region tomorrow.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Mapantz don't be so silly... when was the last time we had some good cold rain, makes a change from the 12c and rain we normally get :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Ian F kindly popped into the Mod Thread replied (indirectly) to a post i made related to the above

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1