Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Rain and fog here now was a lovely early spring day sun, out the wind it was almost warm! Peaked at 12c now down 8.9c. Fire on, dog asleep, baby snoozing, wife almost a sleep.....may be time to nip to the pub

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It has turned pretty wet here now! 3mm and counting..

The last three January's have been the wettest months I've recorded since having a weather station.

chart.thumb.png.0fdc1868a66cec5d5c4c3c98

Updating the website now, hopefully things will run smoother.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

BBC have left 'Dougal' in charge again. So apparently a dry evening awaits this area?

56a3c9d26c3cc_20160123MysteryRain-Foreca

Think again - heavy rain incoming:

56a3ca3a74603_20160123MysteryRain-Actual

Wrong in so many areas and also inaccurate in terms of intensity, all at T+0. Come on, 'Dougal', this is very basic stuff.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted

That's odd the forecast looked more accurate this morning lol. Edit: they must have changed it again as it better represents the rain now.

Quite a strong inversion last night, and the temperature fluctuating quite a bit too (mine was one of the coldest stations around unlike in the cold snap). 

After I got up about 8am a thin layer of fog just above the tree top level (of trees on the valley floor) slowly descended to ground level (whereas normally it would lift).

Then a sudden temp rise, temp rose from 4.4c to 9.0c in 10 minutes as the wind kicked in (6.4-9.0c in 5 minutes, 4.4-9.5c in 15 mins).
56a3e5bfef9f9_temp23rdjan.thumb.png.070d

Since then a pretty cloudy day with some drizzle this afternoon turning to rain this evening, 5.0mm has fallen.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

That's odd the forecast looked more accurate this morning lol. Edit: they must have changed it again as it better represents the rain now.

Quite a strong inversion last night, and the temperature fluctuating quite a bit too (mine was one of the coldest stations around unlike in the cold snap). 

After I got up about 8am a thin layer of fog just above the tree top level (of trees on the valley floor) slowly descended to ground level (whereas normally it would lift).

Then a sudden temp rise, temp rose from 4.4c to 9.0c in 10 minutes as the wind kicked in (6.4-9.0c in 5 minutes, 4.4-9.5c in 15 mins).
56a3e5bfef9f9_temp23rdjan.thumb.png.070d

Since then a pretty cloudy day with some drizzle this afternoon turning to rain this evening, 5.0mm has fallen.

Wow! That's impre:hi:ssive

Posted

3mm of rain between 7:30pm and 9pm last night
Dark grey skies and damp this morning, 12c, SW 13mph, 1026 hPa
High 90s humidity.

Been watching Fox and CCN coverage of the snow.
Oh we can only ever dream we get that down our way.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

Wow! That's impre:hi:ssive

Seems to happen occasionally, we get a inversion in the valley, but as a milder flow picks up it goes over the top until a threshold is reached and it 'breaks through' kicking the inversion out of the valley.

Dull but very mild today, currently 13.7C.

Posted

Lit the fire yesterday afternoon, way to mild for it though the house was too warm so the fire was out by 8. Bring back the cold or just bring back normal temperatures! 12c here now and foggy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

8.6mm of rain yesterday, 1.5mm today,

Overcast and mild.

Temp: 12.6°C - Hum: 90% - Bar: 1028.33hPa - Wind:  SW @ 10mph

Site updated: 

http://www.warehamwx.com/wx/index.php

Added a couple of plugins as well:

http://www.warehamwx.com/wx/plugins/cityConditions/cityConditions.php

I like this one:

http://www.warehamwx.com/wx/plugins/worldExtremes/extremes.php

Exaample: Change the date to the 20th of this month, set the hour to 6, type 10 in number of stations, then hit 'show' :)

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted

It looks like Tuesday and Wednesday could provide this region's first long lasting trailing front of the winter, all of those in November/December occurred further N/NW.

Posted
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

It looks like Tuesday and Wednesday could provide this region's first long lasting trailing front of the winter, all of those in November/December occurred further N/NW.

Yep weather warning already in place here for tuesday and wednesday. Also looks like the temperature will drop like a stone once the system clears through (11 c down to 1c IMBY) Could be some ice on the higher routes. But then its back to mild mush very quickly.

Posted

Cloudy mild and breezy this morning. Temp 12C with a southerly wind 25mph gusting 40.

An overview of the GFS this morning is simply Atlantic dominated with systems running through bringing periods of wet and windy weather apart from the end of the run when HP becomes more influential but that's not significant at the moment. Not great news.

But concentrating on the very near future the US winter storm is rapidly crossing the Atlantic on a strong jet. (seen here 983mb superimposed on the 200mb chart) to end up 970mb NW of Scotland 12z tomorrow bringing wet and windy weather to all particularly the NW.

gfs_uv200_atl_3.thumb.png.d7ea9c6595284bgfs_6hr_precip_eur2_7.thumb.png.fa5f4d1b

A reminder of great snow events of the past. I can't quite remeber this one

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64038-the-blizzard-of-1891/

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Hi can someone give a brief run down of what's the trend from the models mid range? I've been out of action, and I really don't have the energy to step into the mod thread.

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's dry at the moment, not looking forward to tomorrow and Wednesday, sounds grim. Sky this morning...it was a lovely red sunrise, now more of a Dove grey rather than Battleship. This winter thus far....I was ok with it being a book, resigned when someone turned it into a film, but bored to tears with our winter getting in on the 50 shades malarkey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Mild cloudy start after a nice enough sunrise. It's as if the weather tries to offer something less mundane for early Monday mornings! Like you, Jethro, I am dreading tomorrow and Wednesday - grim indeed! Perhaps the second half of the week will feature more in the way of sunshine and seasonable temperatures as winds veer more westerly/northwesterly.

Posted
26 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Hi can someone give a brief run down of what's the trend from the models mid range? I've been out of action, and I really don't have the energy to step into the mod thread.

Nothing in the models that I can see to indicate any major change within the next 14 days. The anomalies in the 5-10 range are singing from the same page with segment of the PV over N. Norway with HP to the south/south east. Thus a zonal flow bringing in periods of wet and windy conditions, particularly in the north. Possibly HP having more influence later in the piece with some more settled weather in our neck of the woods although the ext ecm isn't going along with this and remains very unsettled for all. Not brilliant I'm afraid.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.1ae6d72gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.4e82402c1cgefs_z500a_5d_nh_63.thumb.png.f939f23a3b

• Like 1

Posted

Karlos

A summary out of the MOOD thread suggests:

A very disappointing run of outputs with little in the way of interest unless you like loads of wind and rain, some brief PM air arrives but is soon shunted away by the strong  jet.
And so this takes us out to the 9th February. Verdict - seeing any snow at all south of the Pennines and below 400m would be quite a surprise. Instead, we have a fair amount of rain...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Cheers much appreciated. It is what it is I guess. Can't change the weather. 

Sulk

as far as I'm concerned, we won't be getting a sniff of cold as long as the euro heights persist, just not gonna happen.

Edited by karlos1983