Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Already at the min from last night lol  0.6°C. could I make it 3 air frosts for the winter? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

It really is a mess mid week,high ground will get a good pasting

But as i say for lower lying areas it is a very messy picture.

We shall see what transpires but i am not at all confident

C.S

I don't think you have a prayer to be honest, I'm borderline, maybe a slushy inch, the problem is by the time the cold air kicks in, the PPN has gone, this region is 100 miles too far West and a tiny bit too far North.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Lol ENOOOO ENOOOO, she's quality at not knowing what the hell she is on about. We need a new Rob McElwee, then it'd be raging blizzards on the way with a raised eyebrow :cold::cold::cold:

bit envious of the SW guys, they have fergieweather, Ian furgusson, can't have anyone better really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
55 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I don't think you have a prayer to be honest, I'm borderline, maybe a slushy inch, the problem is by the time the cold air kicks in, the PPN has gone, this region is 100 miles too far West and a tiny bit too far North.

I Dont think for one moment there is a chance,i said yestetday my

Snow hunt is over,and im sticking to it,the sooner this sorry

Excuse of a winter does one cannot come s day to soon for me

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

I think 1-5cm

Trust me, you are the one place in the region that's guaranteed a good dumping, purely because of your altitude, there are not many places higher in the whole of the UK that actually have houses, I take it your near Flash.

Posted
Just now, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

About 65 metres lower than flash, between ladmanlow and harpur hill, a very good area when it comes to snow. 1-5cm was general for the Peak District however I can see up to 10cm for anyone at my altitude or higher. Yep I agree my area is defo best for this event.

Yes - this is very altitude dependant, I want to move to Flash but its hard to get rented property, to be honest in my location if I was up at 1000ft (which is only aa 1 and a half mile walk to the pub) and that front just stalls a tiny bit longer, theres an outside chance of 3-4 inches here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

0.1c, come on you can do it

Posted

Stuck on 0.0c here.  It's doing this on purpose to wind me up. 

Posted

Air frost now yay! -0.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

0.7C here, and yet to record an air frost this entire winter. This might seem a joke, but I assure you it's not, winter has been that poor in terms of cold.

Posted

-0.7c here now.  Really feel for you  Sp,  only very slightly marginally better here, but no snow of course. 

Posted

-2.5'c here after a high of 5'c in the afternoon, had there been any snowcover in-place across the Pennines we could easily be seeing low double-figures. What surprised me the most was just how quick the daytime temps dropped as the sun went down, like a rock the second the sun dropped below the horizon. And a pleasant walk just 15 minutes earlier turned into a rush home before it got too chilly.

Posted

BBC forecast for Wednesday showing a heavy rain to heavy sleet then heavy snow event here.. suggesting the cold air will undercut through the day, and thanks to evaporative cooling rain will turn to snow. Will wait and see - we can do quite well in such set ups.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Problem is here, we have the slightest thin veil of high cloud overhead, the slightest NNW breeze, and we're elevated, but not elevated so much we can gain from height, all this means cold is draining off and being pushed southwards onto lower elevations. I still think we will record an airfrost later on, perhaps a -1C by dawn, although that is determined by high cloud. I swear we used to have air frost in these scenarios.. it's a cold airmass for sure.

Posted
5 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Problem is here, we have the slightest thin veil of high cloud overhead, the slightest NNW breeze, and we're elevated, but not elevated so much we can gain from height, all this means cold is draining off and being pushed southwards onto lower elevations. I still think we will record an airfrost later on, perhaps a -1C by dawn, although that is determined by high cloud. I swear we used to have air frost in these scenarios.. it's a cold airmass for sure.

I get that Crosby frost hollow  microclimate thing going on during nights like this. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I get that Crosby frost hollow  microclimate thing going on during nights like this. 

I imagine Formby gets a good pronounced frost hollow effect, as the sand dunes are biggest around there/ainsdale.. I can imagine on the dunes themselves around -2 or -3 currently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

-1.8 now. Shows what a mild winter it has been when that feels bitter. For context, in Jan 2010 we were nearing -15! Seems an eternity away in the past now unfortunately :(

Posted

0.2C now shock horror, might record an airfrost within 30 minutes! 

Posted

now it's stuck at 0.2C.. time to go to sleep. 

Posted

-1.2c now. Has -2.6 (16/01) to better for the coldest night of the winter.