Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Wow like I said the GFS18z is better now.  I knew I had a gut feeling!! :D

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

BBC forecast suggesting snow on front and back edge of front progged to move through on Wednesday, places with height should do well, lower ground I'm not too sure, not a fan of snow to rain events, but would be interesting to see a snow to rain back to snow event from the same front, when did that last happen???

Before then, lots of convective action set to enhance snow shower activity to our NE, central and eastern parts of Cumbria could have a few snowy surprises on Sunday.. NE blasts can deliver the goods here and in Pennine Lancashire/Peak District. As the crow flies, under a pure north easterly - a line from Newcastle we aren't that far away from the N Sea influence despite the Pennines in the way - there is never any moderation indeed the opposite often happens and we develop low dewpoints. Eastern fells should see some good snowfall over next 48 hours.

In 2010 heavy convective snow showers never made it past the pennines in a NE'ley, an easterly can deliver snow even to here, but mainly light ppn.

Posted

Amazing watching Dianne on Thursday night lamenting an outlook with dry weather and highs of around 5C. Some Februaries have failed to get that high all month (1947, 1986). I know she's a renowned mild-ramper but given the weather the region has had to endure that just takes the biscuit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Cold dog walk this morning, frost on cars with a current temp of 0.2c in a light easterly wind making it feel a bit colder. 

Posted

Wed/thurs has gone back to wet hill slush at best, probably be an all day cold rain for all by the time we get there.  The last few days have been mainly dry, at least we can be thankful for that.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Just walked into Oldham, the chilly easterly winds are making it feel much colder than the temps suggest.  Also dragging in low cloud so after a fine start it's gone wintry bleak now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Cloudy start and a short spell of light snow or graupel although not enough to cover the ground.

its cleared through now though with brighter skies between the gloom.

feels raw though.

Posted

More cloud around this afternoon feels cool with no sun, temp up to 5.7c with a light easterly wind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Lovely sunny day but cold 

Posted

Feels bitter in the wind and it's not especially strong, temp down to 2.8c with more in the way of clear breaks although more dark cloud heading in from the east. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Light rain and a little sleet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Weather advisory for overnight snow showers is tantalisingly close to here so maybe a dusting in the morning although I can't see anything heading this far inland myself.

happy to be proved wrong though.

Posted

Temp up and down like a yo yo due to patchy cloud then some clear breaks, goes down to 1c then back up to over 2c. 

• Like 1

Posted

The fells made short work of that shower, absolutely devoured it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

On way home from work. Cars all iced up and its freezing out. Coldest morning for a long time. 

• Like 1

Posted

Possibly the lightest covering of snow I've ever seen on the drive and cars this morning, dandruff at best.

who says we get nothing from an easterly:)

Posted

Cold morning -1.2c @ dawn with frost and ice, went out with the dogs on the morning walk and it feels bitter in the light NE'ly wind on bare skin! Glad I had gloves and a hat on but my face was freezing and eyes watering. Currently still sub zero, -0.4c. Just shows you how mild this winter has been when these temps feel perishing! 

Posted

After the dreadful conditions that seem to have effected every Sunday this winter, today is beautiful.

cold yes and a bit breezy but a lovely day to get out and blow the cobwebs off.

• Like 2

Posted

After some early morning snizzle, it's brightened up nicely albeit still very cold, this should see us to sunset.  Could be a sprinkling over the tops of the hills to the east through the night but not expecting anything to make it over this side of the Pens.  Mild sector horror showing mostly rain for Wed/Thurs, but still not nailed down.  It's a complex affair.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

After a frosty start (yes frost in winter who'd of thought)! It's now turned into a gorgeous day, crisp, sunny but cold. If I can't have snow then this is the next best thing in winter for me. Shame all this good footy is keeping me in lol

Posted
1 hour ago, dodgeredee said:

After some early morning snizzle, it's brightened up nicely albeit still very cold, this should see us to sunset.  Could be a sprinkling over the tops of the hills to the east through the night but not expecting anything to make it over this side of the Pens.  Mild sector horror showing mostly rain for Wed/Thurs, but still not nailed down.  It's a complex affair.

The westward extend of the snow advisory zone follows the Lancashire Yorkshire boundary better than any fence could and puts me right on the edge.

however I can't see showers penetrating this far westwards so I'm with you in expecting nothing.

lovely winters afternoon on the cards though although cold in the breeze