Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
8 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

You have more chance of a white easter then a white christmas in this country

Indeed. Got to admit I have seen decent snow in March. 2006, 2008, 2013 being more recent examples. All had at least 1 decent snow cover of more than a few inches. Wouldn't surprise me if we get the heaviest falls of snow next month! ....Now by April it becomes a lot harder to get a decent fall as ground temps start rising a lot with the increasing solar energy but even then I have known it to happen in the past.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

SNOW!!! about 30 minutes ago

2016-02-14 001.MOV

how do i make it so you dont have to download it?

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
7 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

This is the worst winter i have ever recorded in 20 years.  

these are the stats imby throughout this entire winter.

Snow: 0cm  not even a dusting,  very wet light snow which would not stick due to exceptionally warm pavements.

Ground frost: 1, Air frost 1 but nothing during January and February.

Average temperature +8C throughout December, January and so far February

This winter has seen the highest snowfalls across the Northern Hemisphere...and yet 0cm imby....something is very wrong!

Later this year we are moving to be with family in lapland Finland permanently.  Snow guaranteed at least 6/7 months a year..

Cool I have better frost stats than you. 11 ground frosts, and 2 air frosts (16/01 and 14/02). No falling snow though. 

Posted
18 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

You have more chance of a white Easter then a white Christmas in this country, but the way and how bad it has been down here this winter....better start getting used to the idea winter is done (never started, or it's delayed and we get winter in spring time)...a few cold days, but thats nothing unless there is snow on the deck for the kids.

Not in recent times.

Since 1990 from my location

White Christmas Days: 1995, 2004, 2009, 2010

White Easter Days: 0

Snow/sleet falling since 1990

Christmas Day: 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2004

Easter Day: 1998, 2008

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Indeed. Got to admit I have seen decent snow in March. 2006, 2008, 2013 being more recent examples. All had at least 1 decent snow cover of more than a few inches. Wouldn't surprise me if we get the heaviest falls of snow next month! ....Now by April it becomes a lot harder to get a decent fall as ground temps start rising a lot with the increasing solar energy but even then I have known it to happen in the past.

If my memory is correct, winter 1980-81 was nothing out of the ordinary, average to poor in relation to the proper winters just before and in the immediate years that followed but late April 81 brought one of the heaviest single snow falls I have ever seen.

we had almost two feet of snow over 36 hours here with roads closed and power lines down

however almost immediately after it stopped, the thaw set in and within 4 days, warm spring conditions had arrived and the snow had virtually all disappeared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Not in recent times.

Since 1990 from my location

White Christmas Days: 1995, 2004, 2009, 2010

White Easter Days: 0

Snow/sleet falling since 1990

Christmas Day: 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2004

Easter Day: 1998, 2008

I thought snow had to fall on the day itself for a white Christmas? If not then i've had the last 3 as well. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I thought snow had to fall on the day itself for a white Christmas? If not then i've had the last 3 as well. 

That's the bookmakers definition but it's a joke, IMO, that you would have won your bet in 1999 which was nothing more than wet snow at the most, yet Christmas 2010, zip. Christmas 2010 was a white Christmas, whatever the bookies say, there was snow on the ground  and official day of lying snow under Met Office rules.

Thinking about it, I have never seen a white Easter Day here and I'm going back to 1985. In 2008, it rained here whilst it snowed further east and laid.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That's the bookmakers definition but it's a joke, IMO, that you would have won your bet in 1999 which was nothing more than wet snow at the most, yet Christmas 2010, zip. 

Thinking about it, I have never seen a white Easter Day here and I'm going back to 1985. In 2008, it rained here whilst it snowed further east. 

We got about 3 inches of snow on Easter Day 2008.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That's the bookmakers definition but it's a joke, IMO, that you would have won your bet in 1999 which was nothing more than wet snow at the most, yet Christmas 2010, zip. Christmas 2010 was a white Christmas, whatever the bookies say, there was snow on the ground  and official day of lying snow under Met Office rules.

Thinking about it, I have never seen a white Easter Day here and I'm going back to 1985. In 2008, it rained here whilst it snowed further east. 

2008 23rd March, very early snow, quick thaw, Easter day 2013 cold and dry, still snow around, snowmen etc and where piled up from 22-24th March snow

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

That's the bookmakers definition but it's a joke, IMO, that you would have won your bet in 1999 which was nothing more than wet snow at the most, yet Christmas 2010, zip. 

Yeah I agree.  It frustrated me that I couldn't count 2010 as a white Christmas going by that definition  when it involved probably the biggest amount of snow on the ground that I will ever see lol. 

I'm sure I've had one or two white Easters in the previous decade but can't remember when.   Certainly lots of March snow events. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Rrea00120130326.gif

true to say that seas too cold to create convective snow? because the days after the 2013 snow, there were no showers, where as same setup late Nov (warm seas) very snowy, late march when seas at their coldest

chart above snowless

Posted

Yep  April showers don't exist here,  unless there is a south-easterly which is rare at that time of the year . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

More snow! bit heavier than before but still light and very small flakes but its miles better than nothing and every flake is laying.

• Like 1

Posted

Swear this is the first time i've had snow from a north easterley

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
30 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

More snow! bit heavier than before but still light and very small flakes but its miles better than nothing and every flake is laying.

It's ironic that where you are in what must be one of the snowless parts of the region gets the snow tonight but elsewhere doesn't lol

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It's ironic that where you are in what must be one of the snowless parts of the region gets the snow tonight but elsewhere doesn't lol

yea but tbh its barely anything, i can still see stars above me whilst its snowing lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Raining here!!! :angry:

Posted

Looking forward to -5/-7c tomorrow night.....according to bbc

showers starting to evaporate before getting here guessing thats it for here tonight...

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
14 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

And just to make us without snow feel even worse, they're even getting it down in the South East.

never mind once temperatures go up again and rain replaces snow, normal service will be resumed and our region will be back under cloudy skies and wet crap.

• Like 1

Posted

I bet the radar looks nothing like this at 11pm

meteociel.thumb.png.ba2b1b980bb5479a55fa

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted

Squeezed out some snow flurries today, and there was a light snow shower early on - pellets really. Chance we may see a few more flurries in the next couple of hours, but not expecting much.

Tomorrow will be a bone biting day - probably the coldest feeling day of the year so far, despite sunshine, the cold NE wind will make for raw feeling.

Looking ahead, not sure what to make of Wednesday its a real mess, we have a cold front becoming a warm front as it is undercut by cold air to the rear, the mild sector looks like being squeezed. Significant snow on higher ground, perhaps some low level back edge snow, which is quite unusual. Very cold uppers steaming in from the atlantic, but shortlived, milder air by the end of the week.

Overall a cold week ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Had a rain shower with 850's around -7c, temp 1.3c & DP 0c yet had a snow flurry this afternoon!! LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Still not 1 flake since last winter.

• Like 1

Posted

rain/sleet! wt....f