Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 21st Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

We seem to be getting closer to 'crunch time' regarding what could happen to the PV and when the 'torpedo' will strike also what will happen after. Will be interesting to see how the models and forecasts will react.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Im thinking an official SSW looks unlikely now, out to mid Feb anyway and by then we are cutting it fine to say the least. My interest re the strat is will the warming happening in the next week or so which displaces and weakens the strat pv have any affect on the trop?

Here is todays strat chart, compared with the one above you can see the face value improvements!

gfsnh-10-6.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
6 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Im thinking an official SSW looks unlikely now,

What's an official Sudden strat warming?

• Like 1

Posted

The model output in the short to medium term is still poor for those wanting a sustained period of cold weather.  The London 12z GEFS are pretty unremarkable...

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres.gif

The extended (days 11 to 15) ECM ensemble mean show a a period of renewed zonality with negative height anomalies to the NW of the UK and positive height anomalies over the Mediterranean.  No sign of any torpedo and or any other explosive device to be honest.  However, I do believe things will get better from mid February onwards but we need to realistically set expectations...

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The difference between GFS 12z  T102 and the 18z T96

gfs-0-102.png?12?12   v  gfs-0-96.png?18

Very very similar......no sense this run is bring us anything back from the pub

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

Then at what is now T138 ...

gfs-0-138.png?18  v  gfs-0-144.png?12

A deep low travelling north east out of the US several frames before a shallower one travelled out on the 12z

Posted

Drop the wrapping from a sweet in Washington DC and it could end up on a breeze that takes it to the heart of Siberia...

gfs-0-168.png?18

Posted

Hi again

My take on the run so far. Continuing zonal but meridional at times with some incursions of cold. So much of that cold is trapped up north, if only we could tap in to that. If the flow could become  even more meridional it may  just allow  a stronger block to develop in the atlantic. Unfortunately up to t177  only temporary ridging is showing.

The persistent Azores high is a major player as well. Our polar jet stream is less strong i am noticing mid run. Low pressure leaving US not as deep.Might be interesting end of run. We will see.

Edited by Derbyshire Snow

Posted

The GFS 18hrs run has moved to the ECM solution with the deeper Atlantic low and no PV split.  The northerly toppler now looks unlikely unless the models can find more amplitude upstream.

Even though the outputs are building in an Arctic high and taking the AO back towards negative values the NAO is still positive and the Euro high hasn't finished getting its sun tan so is reluctant to leave the scene.

Until that Euro high is removed and displaced much further west then theres no chance of any deeper cold, the wait goes on and on and on.......................

• Like 4

Posted

It looks like being frigid in North East America. The GFS op run looks as though its showing an arctic high pushing down in the wake of the bad storms over there. Just a possibility it might put some sort of blocking in North Atlantic

Posted

That high pressure over Canada originating further north has really tried to link up to the Atlantic high but not quite making it. However we do have an almost  full on meridional flow, and would expect heaps of snow on Northen hills, especially in Scotland.

I would say the run shown some promise but no real signs of sustained cold. My hope at the moment would be keep an eye on the heights west of Greenland and Canada to see if future runs bring these in to play

Posted
1 hour ago, wishingforsnow said:

We seem to be getting closer to 'crunch time' regarding what could happen to the PV and when the 'torpedo' will strike also what will happen after. Will be interesting to see how the models and forecasts will react.

I do love how someone just made this torpedo thing up as a bit of a hopecast and suddenly it's a thing that people are waiting for.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Eurotrash High stretching west to the Azores at the end of the run (9th Feb).

Goodnight Folkspost-10077-0-36799200-1335439666_thumb.j

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Danielvn said:

I do love how someone just made this torpedo thing up as a bit of a hopecast and suddenly it's a thing that people are waiting for.

'Hopecast'?

Evidence of strat warming is in place and gaining traction in the models and whether its effect is a major/minor SSW, or displacement is yet to be seen 

Nothing is off the table yet. Experts maintian that change could be likely on the way from mid February onwards. Until then its zonality but perhaps getting more meridional which is a good sign. A SSW isn't the only option that could come off and bring cold to the UK.

Also a lot could change 2 and a half weeks from now weatherwise - models showing a Euro High in FI timeframe are to still be taken with a pinch of salt despite how 'a Euro high takes ages to shift'

We're only at the 23rd January: if by this time next month the supposed 'change' hasn't materialised and it turns out we will have faced another month of mild wet zonality with no sign of improvement at all then yes this winter will have been an overall disappointment in my books but not yet. I think the models will be interesting for coldies again as we enter February should everything go to plan.

• Like 4

Posted

conus.jpg

This is tomorrows jet stream forecast over US.  Whats happened to it!!! This is the result i think of what the GFS shows mid term with the heights moving south  over Canada and West Greenland. If only the jet stream did not kick back in again, there is a chance those heights might drop in to the Atlantic and produce a stronger ridge. This would obviously have a knock on affect  as the PV would have to be pushed east and then who knows. Clutching at straws but i believe it is another scenario

Posted

Not really model related but a possible SSW outcome is still being favoured as a possibility out there http://notrickszone.com/2016/01/24/sudden-stratospheric-warming-may-bring-another-cold-spell-to-western-and-central-europe-in-early-february-models-suggest/#sthash.FVZxu6T0.cGAIm8iE.dpbs

I think we have to wait and see what the situation is early/mid February. By then I think that if a change will be on the way the models will be showing it. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well, nothing great this morning - models still not out till mid Feb yet though - that sounds like when the chance lies for a poss colder set up according to the Pros, so I'll stick with that.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well I think a 1000 words say it all this morning with the lack of comments. The gfs is mild throughout with this week looking particularly wet once again. Ukmo and ecm not much better pv looks as strong as ever. I know Steve murr mentioned last week he thought if we didn't see anything soon it could be another abysmal winter. And looking at the output looks like he may just be right. 

• Like 5