Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, markyo said:

I agree,the clock is ticking and until we see that pattern change hold firm for a good period of time those chasing heat will be disappointed. Selfish though it is to say but this weather suits me fine,feel much more comfortable. But I know many crave that change.

Meteorological summer is only 3 weeks old and astronomical summer only began today. Think I will refrain from writing off summer just yet.

What would happen to me if I said no cold spells likely for the rest of winter on December 21st? Lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, cheese said:

I have no idea why we are repeatedly getting poor summers while most of the world bakes but I am getting increasingly sick of it.

Agree our weather has changed and to deny this would be unwise. Poor summers are a pest I again for most people especially with children,average summers would be more than fine. Not many would plump for a baking summer though,spells yes but short lived. Like it or not we are not set up in the uk for long heatwaves,likewise not for long cold spells,the extremes always cause problems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Anyway, turning into a lovely afternoon here. Long sunny spells, a light breeze and pleasantly warm. The last week has been poor yes but overall May and the rest of June has been great for me. Enjoyed plenty of sunshine and even when it was a bit cloudier here in the Midlands, I was in Cornwall where the sun prevailed more. Some fantastic conditions seen. Moods seem to have turned rather negative about the rest of the summer over 1 weeks poor weather and some rather average charts ahead. Sure no heatwave but I reckon plenty of useable weather ahead. :)

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Meteorological summer is only 3 weeks old and astronomical summer only began today. Think I will refrain from writing off summer just yet.

What would happen to me if I said no cold spells likely for the rest of winter on December 21st? Lol

I would say that was a fair estimate of a up coming winter for the UK!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

I would say that was a fair estimate of a up coming winter for the UK!

I think it's easier to get a spell of very warm/hot weather in summer than a cold spell in winter. Seems like everything has to be just about perfect for a cold spell in winter but there's more leeway in summer and the synoptics don't have to be perfect for some heat. That's my perception anyway but I'm open to correction.

Anyway, today is fairly pleasant, reached 21C and there are long sunny spells. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

Likes been said its been a weird summer so far in the sense everything has been coming from the opposite direction and thats the  east/northeast.. Not felt cold in the western part of the UK..

Now its back to a typical regime of westerly.. Aslong has it  comes from a SW direction  for most of the time ,i will be  fine with that.. What i wouldnt like is  a  high to our west but to far west and that allowing NW winds. Temps would be then surpressed.

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

I think it's easier to get a spell of very warm/hot weather in summer than a cold spell in winter. Seems like everything has to be just about perfect for a cold spell in winter but there's more leeway in summer and the synoptics don't have to be perfect for some heat. That's my perception anyway but I'm open to correction.

I disagree to an extent.. Our summers tend to be very up and down..In the winter we can have a week/2 weeks where its dry and settled.frosty over night of course.. But pressure tends to be higher in the winter on alot of occasions. Am in the same loction to you and its gonna get a shower in a few minutes..Thats typical of a westerly set up..So its pretty difficult to get a settled spell of weather in the UK. It does happen from time to time. But its usually an acception to the rule.

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Your spot on there,the margin for cold weather is significantly smaller than for warm/heat in summer. The locking in of a winters cold spell is much harder to achieve than a protracted hot spell. But with our seasons becoming far more blurred even the hot spells are proving rare.  Today that saying isn't bad at all,good for work,good for non work,just about right in my opinion

Posted
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I disagree to an extent.. Our summers tend to be very up and down..In the winter we can have a week/2 weeks where its dry and settled.frosty over night of course.. But pressure tends to be higher in the winter on alot of occasions. Am in the same loction to you and its gonna get a shower in a few minutes..Thats typical of a westerly set up..So its pretty difficult to get a settled spell of weather in the UK. It does happen from time to time. But its usually an acception to the rule.

Westerlies are at their weakest in February, March and April but the UK is often bombarded with low pressure systems from November to January. Sunny, frosty weather is the exception to the rule in winter. The UK is a cloudy country in general but in winter it is very dull indeed.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Mentioning the uk climate and hows its changed is a fallacy..We have never had  winter after winter with snow.. same with summers we often get summers like these.. people tend to remember the snowy winters and hot summers and then get the imrpession its fairly typical..What i always mention is the forecasts that people do for the UK..They cant seem to get it right more than not.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Mentioning the uk climate and hows its changed is a fallacy..We have never had  winter after winter with snow.. same with summers we often get summers like these.. people tend to remember the snowy winters and hot summers and then get the imrpession its fairly typical..What i always mention is the forecasts that people do for the UK..They cant seem to get it right more than not.

Indeed WG. I can recall one or two wonderful thunderstorms during August 1968. The other twenty-nine days remain a mystery!:D

Posted
17 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Totally agree with this. I don't deny aspects of our climate have changed somewhat. Pretty much everything is always undergoing change but I do wonder how much past views are affected by particular stand out events. Especially wit increasing distance in time we tend to forget the 'boring nothingness' where it was just average. But surely amongst the supposedly great years there were also plenty of weeks like the last one which were very dull and wet. The weeks like last surely aren't new to our climate!! Everything comes and goes and there will always be good and bad times. Things change but has it changed THAT much? 

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Disagree totally,i've been on the road with my job for nearly 30years now,i would say the last 10 to 12years I have had little or no probs with the winter weather,previous to that significant problems,over nights in car etc. Our climate has shifted,that is without doubt. How it has changed is the point up for debate in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
25 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Totally agree with this. I don't deny aspects of our climate have changed somewhat. Pretty much everything is always undergoing change but I do wonder how much past views are affected by particular stand out events. Especially wit increasing distance in time we tend to forget the 'boring nothingness' where it was just average. But surely amongst the supposedly great years there were also plenty of weeks like the last one which were very dull and wet. The weeks like last surely aren't new to our climate!! Everything comes and goes and there will always be good and bad times. Things change but has it changed THAT much? 

Well Heathrow's summer sunshine average for the past decade has been well below average.

Between 1998-2006, the average was around 215 hrs in each summer month.  Between 2007-2015, that had dropped to between 150-180 hrs on average.  The long term average is around 205-215 hrs.

August has also been terrible over the last 10 years; only 3 (2009, 2012, 2013) have seen average or above average temps, and all have recorded below average sun.

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Nobody thinks hot summers are 'fairly typical' in the UK, but whereas heatwaves seemed to occur every other year in the 1990s and most of the 2000s, they have been few and far between since 2007 with a near total absence of heat. Sunshine has persistently been well below average even in months where temperatures are warmer than average. Only a minority of summer months have seen average or above average sunshine since August 2006. Average annual sunshine for Heathrow is around 1623 hours but since 2007 it's been under 1500 hours. That is a drastic reduction.

It's foolish to deny that our summers have been worse over the past 10 years than the preceding 20 years. Eastern Europe has seen a lot of summer heat in recent years while the UK has been starved.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Nobody thinks hot summers are 'fairly typical' in the UK, but whereas heatwaves seemed to occur every other year in the 1990s and most of the 2000s, they have been few and far between since 2007 with a near total absence of heat. Sunshine has persistently been well below average even in months where temperatures are warmer than average. Only a minority of summer months have seen average or above average sunshine since August 2006. Average annual sunshine for Heathrow is around 1623 hours but since 2007 it's been under 1500 hours. That is a drastic reduction.

It's foolish to deny that our summers have been worse over the past 10 years than the preceding 20 years. Eastern Europe has seen a lot of summer heat in recent years while the UK has been starved.

Spot on cheese as usual, summers are wretched nowadays

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well put,to be honest I think the summer months now highlight even more than winter months the change. I travel a lot over the whole of the uk,the summer hot spells are certainly without any doubt on the decline and have been for the last 10plus years in the uk,2006 last wide spread uk wide hot spell that was protracted. The continent now seems to be taking the hit from this weather,especially further east you are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

I would probably believe and agree with you!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I'm getting on in my age but at least up here in NW England Summers have always been a bit rubbish apart from notable exceptions like 76, 83, 95, 2003, 2006 but those are exceptions to the rule. You get your wear out of warmer clothes in this country far more than Summer ones. I have Summer clothes I bought years ago that are still in good nick through not wearing them a lot. In a continental climate like Poland or Ukraine they probably wear their Summer gear a lot more than here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I wondered why the model output discussion was so empty, everyone is in here:D

Anyway, Thursday looks very stormy in the south / southeast

WP_20160620_12_58_44_Pro.jpg.ab2543e90455d36eba4a3cc4c98bc94c.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very nice to see the sun and blue skies appear this afternoon, the temperature has reached a sweltering 22C despite a gusty breeze. Slight westwards shift of the plume this week....good trend, maybe the SE will get a couple of hot days and storms.

Posted
7 hours ago, cheese said:

Westerlies are at their weakest in February, March and April but the UK is often bombarded with low pressure systems from November to January. Sunny, frosty weather is the exception to the rule in winter. The UK is a cloudy country in general but in winter it is very dull indeed.

Looking at that  Frosty.. looks like we may get away with a good day in our location.. so tuesday wedneday and thursday..Much better then  recent times