Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Just look out of the window, cheese?:D

I live under a rock so there are no windows. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Just now, cheese said:

I always find it slightly annoying when forecast say 'settled in the SE, unsettled in the NW' and then there's those of us who live in neither region who are left feeling confused as to what weather we should expect. :pardon:

Living in the Midlands i know what you mean.We are sometimes in the so called transition zone- often a lot of cloud,some drizzle then a bit of watery sun.

It is difficult to pin point exact positioning/timing of the surface fronts until closer to the time as they sometimes stall and waver as they weaken against the higher pressure to the south.

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

I always find it slightly annoying when forecast say 'settled in the SE, unsettled in the NW' and then there's those of us who live in neither region who are left feeling confused as to what weather we should expect. :pardon:

A bit of both perhaps.:D

Posted

Very pleasant conditions at the moment, typical fair summer weather, nothing exceptional, but decent with lengthy sunny periods, dry and temps maxing out at 20 degrees, around average for the time of year. I'm quite happy with such conditions, many recent summers have delivered only a few such days, but so far since early May we've had many in abundance. Don't need temps in the high 20's and low 30's to make a good summer, low 20's combined with dry sunny conditions is ideal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The breeze off the sea is keeping temperatures a bit too suppressed here for my liking, i like it at least 18c, but doesn't look like getting over that anytime soon, not liking the look of the charts at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

I am a little surprised at the extent of high-pressure to the north of Britain and attendant easterly winds which seem to have dominated much of May and June this year. I was anticipating that cool north-westerly winds would predominate owing to the effect of a chilly North Atlantic. I know that high-pressure north of Britain is most likely during late spring because the fundamentals that drive sub-arctic Atlantic depressions are weakest then but the cold North Atlantic compared to normal combined with less ice and snowcover in the European Arctic suggested to me that higher pressure was much more likely to form SW or west of Britain. 

Sure May was unusually easterly, it is the first time in quite a few years that the month has actually had more easterly quarter winds than west, south-west or north-west winds. Given that the lower mid-latitudes of both the North Atlantic and North Pacific oceans have been cooler than normal through May and the deep tropical waters especially warm the North East Trade Winds will have been fresh, to satisfy Conservation of Angular Momentum laws does that not imply a need for stronger Westerlies at higher latitudes? How do easterlies prevail in the latitudes of Britain in such circumstances unless there is a zone of very cold dense air over or north of the region to keep the rapidly-accumulating westerly-momentum in the upper air away from the surface? At this time of year very cold dense high-pressure systems don't exist ; clearly I have missed something in my various prognosees vis'-a-vis' my May and early June forecasts this year. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

This June so far has been pretty terrible. For example: 

June is on course to be the dullest on record for many areas of England. Heathrow up to the 22nd has 71.1 hours of sun. 1981-2010 average is 205. Dullest on record was 118 hours in June 2012 and before than 130 hours in June 1990. So, it's possible that many places will have recorded their dullest June on record twice in 4 years, and both much duller than the previous record. It's like August 2010 all over again.

It definitely feels that way down here. The first week was terrible. The second week was pretty warm, but since then it's been cloudy as heck, and pretty wet too. I know we live in the UK and exceptional sunny skies and warmth just aren't the norm, but it seems in the last decade or so we've had some terrible summer weather (save for a few odd months, July 2006/July 2013/July 2014), full of low pressure, leaden skies and rain.

Posted
9 hours ago, iapennell said:

but the cold North Atlantic compared to normal combined with less ice and snowcover in the European Arctic suggested to me that higher pressure was much more likely to form SW or west of Britain. 

The high pressure to the Sw has looked many times to influence the Uk only to back off nearer the time. All the way from late May the MetO were saying settled conditions would spread north in their long range forecast but something stopped it getting too far north:pardon:

Posted

This summer has been grim..really grim and there's not any hope on the horizon.

Last year was a terrible summer with the constant howling wind, but at least we had that one amazing plume at the start of July.

This summer has been grey, wet and autumnal. Dreadful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

For myself it has been a much more workable summer than some of the previous ones,just the relatively high humidity compared to the temp has caused meto feel uncomfortable. Not to manys taste I know but I suspect a thing we will have to get used to,much like the poor winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It seems the jet is just permanently parked across the Atlantic all the time. It's supposed to weaken and track north during the summer, allowing the Azores high to build in at times. Most of the last decade in just seems to be straight over the UK. Depressing really. The climate change gang will no doubt have something to say on the issue!

Posted

It's funny that when you haven't done any met. theory for many years how the most basic questions can get you thinking.

For example:

Why does a cold front catch up with a warm front?

Posted

In my location we had  9 decent days at the start of June the last 3 days have been good aswell. Just the   garbage in the middle when it rained for nigh on 10 days thats made this June so far  pretty average.. warmer than last year.. But would have taken something special to beat that.

Posted

Some crazy scenes from the SE after torrential rain on the bbc. It's nice to see a good storm but being flooded is a completely different kettle of fish. Hopefully quite localised events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hideous charts for the rest of June, when will it all end? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
18 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Hideous charts for the rest of June, when will it all end? 

Probably in October when autumn begins

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

This years Wimbledon could be a complete contrast to the start of July last year when they had the hottest ever day. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/01/wimbledon-2015-tournaments-hottest-ever-day-ball-boy-faints

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Plenty of doom and gloom in the MOD thread for next week but the beebs outlooks don't look too bad

876876.png4564564.png9808987.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Plenty of doom and gloom in the MOD thread for next week but the beebs outlooks don't look too bad

876876.png4564564.png9808987.png

The bbc dont change their 10 outlook its been stuck like that for along time.They cant  get it right either..

• Like 1

Posted

What i mean by the bbc getting it wrong.. for several days they have been mentioning the azores high ridging  north now and then as we go through the next week and half.. Absolute no mention of it tonight.. suddenly they have got with the actual facts thats been showing for 3/4 days.. They choose to mislead people. Looking at the tonights forecast for the next 10 days.its abolute wonderful to see the jet streams that far south NOT..

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 1