Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 03/05/2016

Posted

The ecm has the front tracking NE on Friday so generally effecting the west and north. Temps slightly above average in England. The next system arrives Saturday night bringing showery rain to the north and west but quite possibly to the rest of England in the westerly wind. Temps still just above average. The unsettled theme continues with the next system arriving on Wednesday but temps still not too bad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
14 minutes ago, knocker said:

The unsettled theme continues with the next system arriving on Wednesday but temps still not too bad.

According to the GEFS 00z mean, it doesn't look unsettled at all in the south of the uk for the next 10 days with plenty of Azores ridging bringing a good deal of fine and warm weather, a few bands of showery rain spreading from the west but predominantly fine further south.:)

21_96_500mb.png

21_120_500mb.png

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

• Like 3

Posted

Yes ecm looks in the main very dry for the vast majority after tomorrow acc to the 00z operational, so i'm really not sure i would even attach the word unsettled to that run at all?

Obviously the better the further south you are but in the main a very pleasant run imho.

Sorry should have added that only applies to monday morning (reliable timeframe), The longer term perhaps more influence from the trough..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, knocker said:

The unsettled theme continues with the next system arriving on Wednesday but temps still not too bad.

I agree with northwestsnow, the word unsettled does not apply to southern uk, a few changeable interludes sure but a lot of fine warm weather too! :- )

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Well I for one will be glad to see the back of this heat 2 days is more than enough for me and a decline back down to pleasant low to mid twenties will suit me fine

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

Well I for one will be glad to see the back of this heat 2 days is more than enough for me and a decline back down to pleasant low to mid twenties will suit me fine

Me too, might be a bit too hot today lol, mid twenties is fine for me :)

FWIW the south should look forward to a decent spell of summer weather stretching into next weekend acc to ecm 00z and acc to the BBC weather app mid 20's and sunny spells all the way through next weekend, lucky buggers :D

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
12 minutes ago, Karl. said:

I agree with northwestsnow, the word unsettled does not apply to southern uk, a few changeable interludes sure but a lot of fine warm weather too! :- )

I will make three points here. Firstly it would better if you quoted what I wrote in full and not just a snippet like so

The next ten days according to the GFS. Generally unsettled with frontal systems arriving Friday ad Sunday and a small low next week. These will impact the west and north west rather more than the SE Temps generally around average but leaning towards a NW/SE divide but becoming below average at the end of the period.

Secondly I was attempting a general overall comment and not concentrating on the SE alone.

Thirdly running through the 6 hourly charts of the ecm run if that doesn't qualify as unsettled then I'm the Dalai Lama. Unsettled doesn't necessarily translate to grot but just a very moblle scenario.

I very much get the impression that you and one or two others are deliberately attempting to nit pick. I say attempting advisedly.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

I will make three points here. Firstly it would better if you quoted what I wrote in full and not just a snippet like so

Secondly I was attempting a general overall comment and not concentrating on the SE alone.

Thirdly running through the 6 hourly charts of the ecm run if that doesn't qualify as unsettled then I'm the Dalai Lama. Unsettled doesn't necessarily translate to grot but just a very moblle scenario.

Why but I very much get the impression that you and one or two others are deliberately attempting to nit pick. I say attempting advisedly.

No nit picking from me knocks, i just checked out the ecm precip charts and it looks very very dry for the vast majority out to monday morning so was curious about the 'unsettled theme continuing ' comment, nothing wrong with a bit of debate :)

Perhaps there is a bit of confusion about the wording unsettled to me suggests wet and windy, maybe im wrong, anyway, off out the garden for some refreshments for me , enjoy the day :)

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

What I'm finding interesting this time round is that the breakdown of what it is is affecting more N and W areas whilst the southern half of the UK whilst not immune from any adverse weather is not the focus normally in breakdown like this storms march from South to North right through England then weakening when approaching Scotland this time Wales NW England NI and Scotland seems the focus while more southern get less relatively speaking that is

can someone explain why it's different this time , I know it's probably a simple explanation so if someone knows I'd appreciate it

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

I find the word unsettled to be misleading as far as southern uk is concerned for the next 10 days, the Azores ridge builds across the south from the weekend and well into next week according to the GEFS 00z mean. I'm only describing what the charts are showing, nothing more, nothing less.:)

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

No nit picking from me knocks, i just checked out the ecm precip charts and it looks very very dry for the vast majority out to monday morning so was curious about the 'unsettled theme continuing ' comment, nothing wrong with a bit of debate :)

I'm not disagreeing that the south will remain fairly dry for this week but the north and west will be effected by a front Friday thanks to the low pressure to the north west but from Sunday onwards pretty unsettled for all with a secondary low forming and tracking NE into the North Sea. My point is it's quite mobile pattern but yes there is a N/S split until the weekend but overall best described as unsettled. Just MO of course.

ecm_t850_uv_natl_9.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, knocker said:

I'm not disagreeing that the south will remain fairly dry for this week but the north and west will be effected by a front Friday thanks to the low pressure to the north west but from Sunday onwards pretty unsettled for all with a secondary low forming and tracking NE into the North Sea. My point is it's quite mobile pattern but yes there is a N/S split until the weekend but overall best described as unsettled. Just MO of course.

ecm_t850_uv_natl_8.png

No probs knocks, nothing wrong with debate , as ever the proof will be in the pudding, you may well be correct..:)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

No probs knocks, nothing wrong with debate , as ever the proof will be in the pudding, you may well be correct..:)

Whoa, I'm not suggesting this will verify.:shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Well fingers crossed the azores will build much further North than the 00z is showing, this time last week the gfs for today was only showing mid 20's for the South and look how it evolved.

Posted
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Perhaps there is a bit of confusion about the wording unsettled to me suggests wet and windy, maybe im wrong, anyway, off out the garden for some refreshments for me , enjoy the day :)

Hi, do you have a link to the precip charts for ECM, please?

Edited by Gael_Force
A thanks to NWS

Posted

Morning all :)

Well, yes, the overall theme hasn't changed too much. After the current heat snap passes, there's the extended Azores HP ridge which keeps the south in particular but not exclusively dry, settled and warm rather than hot with the prevailing westerly wind keeping the heat well to the south. Nice normal summer fare, nothing spectacular or extraordinary, just what you'd expect. 

The story then (from the GFS 00Z OP) is the slow erosion of that ridge from the NW during next week

gfs-0-240.png?0

Just hanging on to the end of the week in the south but already pressure dropping further north and into early August the theme of a more unsettled outlook with the jet returning south remains very much the form horse.

ECM offers something a little different breaking the ride down more quickly but keeping the Azores HP closer:

ECM1-216.GIF?19-12

GEM on the other hand keeps the ridge stronger and longer and would be the one for fine weather fans:

gem-0-240.png

As ever, more runs are needed...

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Hi, do you have a link to the precip charts for ECM, please?

Hi G- they are on the icelandic metoffice site, you have to look for Atlantic ocean forecasts and you will see precip temp etc, :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Yep knocker, that trough parked in its now spiritual home just next to the UK, with above average heights in Greenland as expected. Incidentally, the 6z has the 10-12c 850 isotherm never really leaving the SE corner (out to day 8), hanging on grimly for dear life. The NW, especially Scotland and Northern Ireland turns much cooler and unsettled. Classic summer NW/SE dividing line stuff.

Edited by mb018538

Posted
4 hours ago, Gordon Webb said:

What I'm finding interesting this time round is that the breakdown of what it is is affecting more N and W areas whilst the southern half of the UK whilst not immune from any adverse weather is not the focus normally in breakdown like this storms march from South to North right through England then weakening when approaching Scotland this time Wales NW England NI and Scotland seems the focus while more southern get less relatively speaking that is

can someone explain why it's different this time , I know it's probably a simple explanation so if someone knows I'd appreciate it

Put simply GW the cold front approaching from the west is introducing colder air into the mix with some quite lively results. Not forgetting that the warm air has advected north into Scotland.This doesn't effect the SE.

PPVE89.gif

Edited by knocker

Posted
4 hours ago, knocker said:

I very much get the impression that you and one or two others are deliberately attempting to nit pick. I say attempting advisedly.

Changeable would have been a better word to describe the outlook, unsettled implies trough domination or Atlantic lows sweeping across the uk but I'm seeing some Azores ridging influencing at least the south of the uk at times through the next 10 days..so a lot of fine warm weather too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Even the 06z GFS shows afternoon maximum temperatures today of 30c....pretty laughable really when we've already passed 32c! :wallbash:

Posted

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean shows the Azores ridge building in across the south of the uk from this weekend and well into next week and following a short lived relatively cooler / fresher blip on thurs/fri, temps rise into the mid 20's celsius across the south once again with a lot of fine weather further south, not completely settled in the south but never worse than changeable, however, the north / northwest of the uk looks more unsettled but still with some fine and pleasantly warm spells too.

21_72_500mb.png

21_96_500mb.png

21_120_500mb.png

21_120_850tmp.png

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_168_850tmp.png

21_192_500mb.png

Edited by Karl.
  • Like 4

Posted

Before I'm accused of cherry picking, I should point out it was my hot perturbations in the last few weeks, the ones that were derided in certain quarters that have led to the current spanish plume with 31 / 35 celsius temps.. anyway, I have found some decent GEFS 6z perturbations for next week which show the Azores high ridging across the uk. I should point out there are some troughy ones as well for the sake of balance but the way I see it,  this weekend and next week should contain at least some fine and warm weather, especially in the south but not exclusively..as most of you know, my glass is half full so let's hope for a continuation of summer weather post plume.:)

3_192_500mb.png

6_192_500mb.png

8_192_500mb.png

8_216_500mb.png

9_192_500mb.png

11_192_500mb.png

16_192_500mb.png

16_216_500mb.png

19_192_500mb.png

20_192_500mb.png

• Like 2