Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The way GEFS is depicting an odd hangback of tropical convection in phase 1 of the MJO plots makes me suspicious of the dramatic west based negative NAO charts; phase 1 supports such a thing but the general consensus among mets is (as far as I am aware) that the convection ought to get right on with a decay in phase 2.

Of course, this musing may yet prove pointless if GFS turns out to have been leading us up the garden path with such a rapid onset major blocking in the first place. 

I've tried not to think about it all too much and just let things reach some form of resolution with respect to where we'll be by the middle of next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

The 18z at 372 shows a hemispheric implosion of any zonal wind being that at 60N we are pretty much easterly around the entire globe

IMG_9483.PNG

It seems ridiculous to me, almost implausible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Holy moly it's not winter yet am I'm confused 

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
10 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

but when as February delivered a proper tanking lately though. The problem with feb is you need circa -15c uppers to get the North sea into action. Its December - 20th Jan or bust this year although up here we can get blasted in March but most people cant.

Best snow I've seen in the south has been in February. No way at all that February should be written off in theory or in practice this year. And who is to say that we will have anything other than a neutral ENSO or perhaps still a disconnect come February.?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS mean at just T138

total agreement on a greenland High 

IMG_9486.PNG

remember - if the train leaves in this type of pattern its a lock in for 7 - ..... days 

S

My only concern is what type of cargo the train is carrying, we need it to be of the very dense variety but haven't seen many ensemble members yet show that in the way of very low uppers.

Its no good a big -AO / - NAO pattern being locked in with -4c uppers.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Best snow I've seen in the south has been in February. No way at all that February should be written off in theory or in practice this year. And who is to say that we will have anything other than a neutral ENSO or perhaps still a disconnect come February.?

I wouldn't write it off but certainly wouldn't want to enter it needing it to save our winter, December the most likely to deliver this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

12z ECMWF ensembles highlight the sudden increase in uncertainty in the mesoscale associated with the track of Sunday's low. London ENS show a sudden spread in wind and rainfall on the 20th (Sun) and also the standard deviation for MSLP across southern UK on Sunday is quite high - giving low confidence in the low's track.

ensemble-ff-london.gifensemble-rrrcum-london.gif

ps2png-atls13-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-gkk01R.png

Shame they have got rid of the EPS postage stamps on the ECMWF old site which they've now closed.

12z GFS, GEM, UKMO and Arpege all took the low across the UK, most far south, Arpege central UK. EC sticking with its guns along N France. Be interesting where the low tracks on tomorrow's runs.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS

gfsnh-0-192.png

A move toward ECM, are we slowly getting consensus on a mid lat high over or just to the North of the UK around day 7/8?

UKMO 144

UN144-21.GIF

UKMO doesn't make anything of the lows running along the base of the trough affecting Southern/Central UK but still quite few GFS ensembles want to develop something pretty fierce.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles

graphe3_1000_254_92___.gif

One thing that has been consistent is the lack of a cold signal within either GFS or ECM ensembles. Cool/chilly ground temps at times yes but no cold upper air.

At least a couple manage to straggle -5 line in the 00z set which is I think the best so far but it's a bit limp if you are looking for something out of the ordinary. (like me)

I'm not making any comment on Dec prospects BTW, still see no reason not to stay optimistic.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mucka said:

GFS ensembles

graphe3_1000_254_92___.gif

One thing that has been consistent is the lack of a cold signal within either GFS or ECM ensembles. Cool/chilly ground temps at times yes but no cold upper air.

At least a couple manage to straggle -5 line in the 00z set which is I think the best so far but it's a bit limp if you are looking for something out of the ordinary. (like me)

I'm not making any comment on Dec prospects BTW, still see no reason not to stay optimistic.

Close to average, which isn't too bad, of course.

Posted

Today

All areas in a brisk westerly wind with heavy wintry showers in Scotland, N. Ireland and north of England with snow on high ground perhaps as far south as the Cotswolds.

A more persistent band of rain in in the south will travel west to east during the day.. Feeling decidedly chilly in the wind with a marked latitudinal temperature differential. All in all quite a grotty late Autumn day.

1hourprecip_d02_19.png1hourprecip_d02_27.pngtemperature_d02_28.png

Now for the GFS starting Sunday. It now has the depression running into the western end of the Channel Sunday morning and then NE to be off the Norfolk coast by 1800z. So still the possibility of some flakes on the higher ground on the northern flank as it traverses the country. This is qickly followed by the next low swinging in from the SW to be centred over the Midlands 985mb by 0600z Tuesday bringing more rain and some quite strong winds

gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_14.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_22.png

Where do we go from here? More or less in the direction that has been hinted at for a while with Amplification proceeding at pace but with fluidity with the Atlantic ridge surging north then NE as the the trough does likewise running south  ending with a cut off upper low over Iberia with the band of HP to the north.

gfs_z500a_natl_35.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_35.png

So to sum up we are looking at a wet and windy few days before the arrival of more settled weather although this will be more likely in the north with the south remaining under the influence of the large low pressure area to the south. This scenario also introduces a quite strong easterly wind component but not to be alarmed as temps are around average

EDIT

Just to note this so-called Greenland block is still allowing energy emitted from Canada to pop around the north and nip SE so voila a trough over Scandinavia at T288. Just to be noted of course and no action taken.

The GEFS anomaly

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking like a uk high as we move through next week, the ukmo and ecm seemingly agreeing on this.The big question now is will it sink back into Europe allowing the jet over the top? Surely this goes against all the background signals???? 

Edit finely balanced ay 168 :)

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I understand that people will be disappointed in the GFS trending towards the ECM but that was likely imo. I need cross model agreement before you can get  excited but if you look at the ECM and where the GFS goes past T240 there is much to be hopeful about. Blocking to NW or NE is a matter of when and not if imo. 

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Looking like a uk high as we move through next week, the ukmo and ecm seemingly agreeing on this.The big question now is will it sink back into Europe allowing the jet over the top? Surely this goes against all the background signals???? 

Edit finely balanced ay 168 :)

it looks like its already sinking by 168

Posted

The ecm has the low this weekend Normandy 06z Sunday.then NE to be west of Norfolk by 1800z. The precipitation SE of a line Dorset to the Wash with the heavier in the south east. Not a likely snow scenario but one would need much more detail nearer the time to be even closely definitive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So the gfs moves towards the ecm which always was to be expected. Ecm is the top preforming model anyway. So it looks like the uk will be sat under high pressure next week with some chilly days. Then not sure we're we go after that we're kind of in no mans land. To be continued this one I think. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

but the 240 ecm is not without interest 3 bites of the cherry maybe,,,,,,

although the fear of west based nao is also there 

ECM1-240 (2).gif 

• Like 1

Posted

The difference between the evolution of the ecm upper pattern and the gfs appears on the surface (no pun intended) to be along the lines that has been the difference over the last couple of days. It proceeds with the amplification a la gfs but then the ridge is attacked by a pincer movement from energy running up from the eastern seaboard phasing with energy from Canada which ends with a deep trough over Iceland squashing the ridge to a narrow band over the UK. In theory T264 should have deep upper trough over  the UK.:shok:

It would appear to be the handling of the upstream antics that is causing the problem

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3