Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted

I think the reason for the angst is that sypnotically speaking we are seeing patterns conducive to the cold everyone craves to but we are missing the boat at this chance because there is no cold to tap into and that irritating Russian high just won't do the proverbial! Or at least align the right way.

Massive blocks like that don't budge easily and it's the sort of pattern which we've seen become very stagnant before, we will see but I do see this period as a wasted chance at something, that's not to say there aren't still chances further down the line with the signals in place.

Anyone depressed or frustrated only needs to look at where we were last year.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
14 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

On a positive note, the ecm run is certainly not mild, quite chilly to be honest. It will feel seasonal which is much better than most Novembers I can remember.

Agreed, and as for mixed signals which has been mentioned a few times today, well, at least we are looking at a level playing field between mild, average and cold..too often it's only mild mush on the menu but the models are not showing that..and hopefully that will remain the case! I would love a strong start to winter to make up for the dross that was served up last december.:cold-emoji:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

The forecasts on the cpc national climate centre website are based on the gfs ensembles? I didn't realise that. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm sure I saw Blue Army sneak in an EPS AO graph from weatherbell .... it also looked very negative or, at least, the control run was.

Edited by Gael_Force

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Would you rather have the atmosphere - not really aided by such things as hugely anomalous Russian Highs - doing this...

time_pres_HGT_ANOM_ALL_NH_2015.png

Or would you gamble and have an NH pattern reflective of something that was doing this instead.. (On November the 16th, two weeks away from the 'official' start of winter)...

time_pres_HGT_ANOM_ALL_NH_2016.png

I couldn't see that well because the background was black rather than the usual white, i take it that shows the zonal average height anomaly positive from about 18000ft (500mb) right the way up to roughly 150000+ft (top of strat)

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

We are in a good place synoptically folks.....that I am convinced of. A BFTP winter is coming 

BFTP

I agree Fred, the models have a much more seasonal flavour going forward.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I couldn't see that well because the background was black rather than the usual white, i take it that shows the zonal average heights positive from about 18000ft (500mb) right the way up to roughly 150000+ft (top of strat)

The chart headers are there - just difficult to make out try these ones.. geopotential anoms across strat. Very active Autumn leading us to where we are now at this juncture, with the vortex having a 70s/80s rewind - if it had feelings I would say it is looking back on last year's 'holiday romance' with ENSO with less than fond memories.

Capture.PNG2016.PNG

• Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

I'm sure I saw Blue Army sneak in an EPS AO graph from weatherbell .... it also looked very negative or, at least, the control run was.

That's quite wicked. The mean goes negative tomorrow and remains negative to the 30th averaging around -1

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
46 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

As long as you keep lower pressure in the northern Med then that stops the high from sinking and we have to hope that the upstream pattern can amplify further. Although I derided the ECM it could be worse but of course so much better. I give it a C+.

Would you be kind enough to let us know what the US forecasters think Nick? Are they leaning towards the gfs or ecm solution? Or a bit of both lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

The chart headers are there - just difficult to make out try these ones.. geopotential anoms across strat. Very active Autumn leading us to where we are now at this juncture, with the vortex having a 70s/80s rewind - if it had feelings I would say it is looking back on last year's 'holiday romance' with ENSO with less than fond memories.

Capture.PNG2016.PNG

Thanks, yes, it was what i was thinking it was more or less, just couldn't see the latitude, see now its in the top right.

• Like 1

Posted

There is wintry potential from the GEFS 12z with some near misses and direct hits..here is my cherry pick:D

0_360_850tmp.png

10_360_850tmp.png

12_360_850tmp.png

14_360_850tmp.png

14_360_2mtmpmax.png

17_384_850tmp.png

17_384_2mtmpmax.png

18_384_850tmp.png

19_384_850tmp.png

19_384_2mtmpmax.png

20_384_850tmp.png

20_384_2mtmpmax.png

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Yep, boring old high stuck over the country. No atlantic ridging. Could we ever get a decent winter from here?

archivesnh-1962-11-27-0-0.png

Oh, have I put the wrong chart in? :whistling:

Great spot Bobbydog :)

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Great spot Bobbydog :)

But if you look far enough ahead any given chart could lead to cold. Nobody ever posts charts on here that preceded a horror show 3 weeks later but I bet you can find thousands. 

In the meantime the other side of Autumn over the next few days and through the weekend. First real blow and could be pretty wet for many. Nothing out of the ordinary.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
55 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Gordon Bennett, there's really no pleasing some folks, is there?:DWe have the best mid-November synoptics we've seen for maybe six-years and people are already predicting winter's premature demise?

Come on peeps...Get a grip!:yahoo:

I don't get it either, Pete, telling it like it is, doesn't seem to work anymore. See below. :nonono:

It appears people only believe the unbelievable to the point that the believable gets ignored in the outputs. Day one of the cool to cold spell incoming tomorrow, enjoy! :hi:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.

I keep thinking that I might venture a post in this thead. It informs me on prospects for my favourite weather, ice and snow. Comments on here have made the sea so choppy that every time I try to board it, the boat is somewhere else. Suffice to say, I gave up the chase about mid Feb last year. Only three months to go! And as others have said we are quids up synoptically compared with this time last year.

Btw I remember 62/63 and we had to put up with a lot of boring old high pressure then before we hit the jackpot.:)

• Like 6

Posted
20 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Would you be kind enough to let us know what the US forecasters think Nick? Are they leaning towards the gfs or ecm solution? Or a bit of both lol.

Well this was the latest update from New York state forecast:

At this time, the operational GFS seems to be the outlier with
little development to a cyclone, and positioning further north
than the GEM or EURO...and even the GEFS ensemble mean. Those
models dig a strong upper level cyclone over NY/PA late Saturday
night into Sunday.

We will monitor this situation closely, and you should too.
Future model run sampling is expected to improve now that the main
energy has reached the U.S. West Coast.

The above isn't great news but its not just those differences to take into account, the issue with the non GFS outputs is the ejection of shortwave energy east which cuts off the WAA into Greenland. All the outputs have an amplified upstream pattern and theres still some uncertainty reading some of the other state forecasts. I'd be surprised if this disagreement lasted much longer given the timeframes.

They do another update a bit later so we'll see if that adds anything.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Er

its GFS + UKMO v ECM tonight 

UKMO day 7 (168 ) is more like the GFS...

S

To be honest Steve, it's take your pick which model leads us into a very different winter than the last few. I reckon 'all roads lead to Rome' this year...

(The snowy Rome, not the one in Italy :D)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
25 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Yep, boring old high stuck over the country. No atlantic ridging. Could we ever get a decent winter from here?

archivesnh-1962-11-27-0-0.png

Oh, have I put the wrong chart in? :whistling:

To be fair, that looks packed full of potential with that ridging into greenland....now, where have I heard that mentioned round here.... :santa-emoji: 

Seen many a drama where different models go for drastically different scenarios at relatively short term, of course due to some sort of situation being on a knife edge (in this case, it's the angle of energy coming out of Canada, and how much is deflected north)...For the UK, a small island at the edge of a vast ocean, even the most promising of NH profiles will be somewhat "knife-edged".  In our current situation, I wouldn't get worried though, we're not even in December.  The NH synoptics are looking very good on the broader scale, we have the strat under attack before the poor bugger's even woken up properly, and no train of winter storms rolling in to leave us all soggy and miserable for the whole of November.  Longer term, we look to be well placed for real cold.  Here's to hoping the GFS comes off (for a change) against the ECM solution, if only for impatient folk like me as I'd have snapped your arm off for the ECM's solution this time last year.

And can I just add... h500slp.png

That is one fine-looking "Murr Sausage".

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 6

Posted

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean becomes quite benign as time goes on with pressure rising across the uk with an increasing risk of fog and frost.

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

• Like 8