Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Still looking at that D10-D15 period ... regardless of uppers, fairly cold at the surface on both ECM (De Bilt) and GEFS (central England) - that ECM control run looks frigid.

graphe6_1000_256_49___.gif  pluim_06260_0_00_60.png

Got a gut feeling though that, slightly along the lines of the ECM, we may see another trough slip through the Atlantic block between T192 and T264, and a fresh build of pressure towards Greenland behind? In other words, a repeat of the D1-D5 scenario?

knmi plumes you can fing here too but with slightly higher resolution graphs http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?type=eps_pluim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Is this the second spell of potent weather for the uk for next Tuesday  showing on the 06z.

It wasn't showing on the 00z.

But  was on last night's 18z. Has the potential for heavy rain sleet Hail and winteryness and strong gusty winds.

Feeling quite raw I'd imagine .

16112206_1706.gif

Edited by sorepaw1
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nouska said:

ARPEGE using some of Meteociel's new gizmos :D

2912_aiv2.png    tempresult_bhl5.gif

Wow very nice what a lovely feature  wales midlands and the north may see some pink pixels  certainly not a boring start to the season 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The 240 chart looks like its going to be a quality retrogression with stonking end results, wouldn't mind betting that this will get the -8c isotherm into England via a Nort / NE flow.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, Banbury said:

gfsnh-0-234.png?6

A chilly Easterly .............promising chart Id say

The problem is most of these charts are around 10 day's out and never seem to make it any closer until anything like that gets to t144 and lower I would advise a lot of caution

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

One thing for sure going off 06z output, is it certainly won't be feeling mild at the surface, even with modest 850's, especially in the breeze over the southern half of the UK.

gfsnh-0-222.pnggfsnh-1-222.png

Lots of opportunities from here.

A few frames later and serious cold knocking on our door.... we can dream

gfsnh-0-276.pnggfsnh-1-276.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

The problem is most of these charts are around 10 day's out and never seem to make it any closer until anything like that gets to t144 and lower I would advise a lot of caution

As I say and always have ANYTHING after 120 hours is ..................................Just for fun

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Even when it "goes wrong" it goes right.  High Pressure retrogressing to Greenland, low pressure dropping into Scandi.

gfsnh-0-288.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot
29 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Still looking at that D10-D15 period ... regardless of uppers, fairly cold at the surface on both ECM (De Bilt) and GEFS (central England) - that ECM control run looks frigid.

graphe6_1000_256_49___.gif  pluim_06260_0_00_60.png

Got a gut feeling though that, slightly along the lines of the ECM, we may see another trough slip through the Atlantic block between T192 and T264, and a fresh build of pressure towards Greenland behind? In other words, a repeat of the D1-D5 scenario?

Temps seem to be dropping at the end too which is nice to see. Remember around the 10th Dec is when I expect the fun and games to start 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, Daniel Smith said:

Even when it "goes wrong" it goes right.  High Pressure retrogressing to Greenland, low pressure dropping into Scandi.

gfsnh-0-288.png

Yup, I can't really see how we won't get a decent cold spell at some point in the next few weeks. NH has not been this well primed for donkeys yonks! It would take some seriously bad luck, almost everything is in our favor. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Oh no - spoiler shortwave cuts off the flow.

I guess the core of the upper heights are too far West (Canada rather than Greenland) for perfection in this run which is opening the door to that - especially when coupled with the still warm sea temps

Edited by beng
  • Like 1

Posted

The eps have never promised anything of note until the back end of the month 

it's currently looking very retrogressive past day 10 and given events high up recently and going forward I guess that shouldn't come as much of a surprise. 

The eps signal past day 10 is difficult to judge in the mean/anomoly but I would guess a broad sceuro trough by the end of the month with Atlantic systems trundling in with little oomph around a mid Atlantic high which ebbs and flows with systems exiting the eastern seaboard and splitting their energy both north and east into a southerly jet. Where these systems engage the troughing will dictate whether we see wet or white when they arrive. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'm not sure I've ever seen High Pressure go from the UK and then travel Westwards as far as the Western United States. 

What.png

Posted

Might disappoint a some hoping for benefit of an Easterly. Still, at that range, relatively small changes could result in something a little better.

gfs_t2m_anom_eur_41.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Taken from the 06z at T+216hrs.

High pressure to the north of the uk feeding an Easterly low pressure to the south. It wouldn't be a suprise if parts of the south have some wintery ppn from this set up a cool Easterly bumping into a much colder Easterly. 

I may have the wrong handle on this .

16112606_1706.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

On the ECM

ECH101-240.GIF?17-12

at 240+ looks to me like that altantic ridge is going to attempt to link up with the Arctic High, looks very promising to me.

gfsnh-12-336.pnggfsnh-12-336.png?6

The problem with the 06z GFS is that there isnt enough bocking in the atlantic, leaving the atlantic door open.

gensnh-21-1-240.pngEDH1-240.GIF?17-12

Both GFS and ECM ensemble means agree the atlantic will be effectively dead as we head into the Start of winter.

ECM still a little reluctant to build heights over Greenland.

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The black hole anomalies over Greenland were there at 240 a few days back - so really they should be there at 168/192 by now. Fact is they aren't, they are in the same place as before. Frustrating! Good job it's still only mid November, we are quickly approaching peak time for winter though. I'd say anything from mid-December to mid-February is the absolute prime time for some serious cold, just as late June-early August is for the summer peak heat.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Very interesting Gfs 6z charts these, ok it didn't follow through on its promise this time but at least it shows we (coldies) are very much in the game in the run up to winter!:)

06_288_mslp850.png

06_300_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3