Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SW & CS England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
4 minutes ago, khodds said:

I'm feeling more positive now. I would much rather it this way round with room for possible upgrades, rather than the hi-res models saying it's nailed on and then never happening.

glass is now half full  :pardon:

Take another slurp, and go top it up, the swings & roundabouts will remain active for the foreseeable..

Brollies to the ready..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

I think Thursday will look like this. Slush on cars / bins and not settling on the ground.

DustingSnowSeattle.jpg 

Hopefully some of us see snow showers on Friday.

Posted

Yes AWD - exactly as forecast in beeb this lunchtime.

I genuinely cannot see what there is to get excited about. This 'wintry' couple of days from the north west would be standard fare in cr@p winters from the past.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Drizzling down here on the coast..

Though I felt a bit when I went outside a few minutes ago. Wasn't just imagining it! Was only very light.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Drizzling down here on the coast..

There might be a very brisk, bitter easterly wind down there next week if you believe a certain model.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Waiting for the weather forecast on the tv, teaser from Ian....Thursday, a high chance of wet a low chance of white - said with a smile. You can go off people....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

Waiting for the weather forecast on the tv, teaser from Ian....Thursday, a high chance of wet a low chance of white - said with a smile. You can go off people....

Thanks for the reminder Jeth  :friends: I had forgotten!

Edited by khodds
  • Like 2

Posted

Elevation will play a part as it always does I'm sure there will be some chop and changes from now until the event but the way things are going looks mostly like rain for us 

Posted

Shenanigans. That's what it comes down too... that's what @fergieweather said. I wish he was allowed to post  :sorry:

• Like 3

Posted

It looked like a rain to snow event on the bbc weather graphics. Rain in the morning & sleet / snow early afternoon

Posted
5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Elevation will play a part as it always does I'm sure there will be some chop and changes from now until the event but the way things are going looks mostly like rain for us 

Oh jeeze, have I really got to scale this again? It does put you 586 mtrs high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendip_transmitting_station

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

Oh jeeze, have I really got to scale this again? It does put you 586 mtrs high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendip_transmitting_station

If it means we see snow I'm in. See you on Penn Hill! 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, jethro said:

He says it with a wry smile, thinking "You b@st@rds on Netweather will get nowt outta me..."

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, khodds said:

If it means we see snow I'm in. See you on Penn Hill! 

You're on. Wrap up warm  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
5 minutes ago, jtay said:

Alexis had a few more blobs of white in the graphics for Thursday than I was expecting. We shall see...

I noticed that. She didn't really say a lot other than over higher ground but there was a lot more snow on the graphics than just over higher ground. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well I got snow back on my app from 3pm until 9pm so still hope. :drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

He says it with a wry smile, thinking "You b@st@rds on Netweather will get nowt outta me..."

You could be onto something there.

Leaving flippancy behind for a second (well, I'll try) if we don't get any white stuff this week, I'm wondering if we'll get any at all. The Mod thread is buzzing with loads of OTT posts about the stonking Easterly showing, fine and dandy if you want cold but not convinced it will benefit us in the SW. I know the argument is and always has been get the cold in first, the rest will hopefully follow, but in my experience that's more a fallacy than fact. Think back to 2010, an awful lot of the country were knee deep in snow, we got very little. Ok, the little we did get hung around for a long time but mostly it was just blinking cold around here. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of stonking Easterlies after that.

Posted
7 minutes ago, jethro said:

You could be onto something there.

Leaving flippancy behind for a second (well, I'll try) if we don't get any white stuff this week, I'm wondering if we'll get any at all. The Mod thread is buzzing with loads of OTT posts about the stonking Easterly showing, fine and dandy if you want cold but not convinced it will benefit us in the SW. I know the argument is and always has been get the cold in first, the rest will hopefully follow, but in my experience that's more a fallacy than fact. Think back to 2010, an awful lot of the country were knee deep in snow, we got very little. Ok, the little we did get hung around for a long time but mostly it was just blinking cold around here. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of stonking Easterlies after that.

I agree but I'd take it tbh. At least if it does snow from an easterly, it's usually the proper powdery stuff. I'd rather have rain than marginal slush.

I wont be taking this easterly scenario seriously unless it's still showing on the weekend. Although it makes a nice change for a decent cold spell to be showing at T168 rather than 10+ days away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
5 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I agree but I'd take it tbh. At least if it does snow from an easterly, it's usually the proper powdery stuff. I'd rather have rain than marginal slush.

I wont be taking this easterly scenario seriously unless it's still showing on the weekend. Although it makes a nice change for a decent cold spell to be showing at T168 rather than 10+ days away.

I have never seen dry snow from a cold easterly... always been on holiday :nonono:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm not giving up yet, not a chance. I've seen these marginal events flip in our favour before, and to be perfectly honest I will take snow just falling from the sky, or even the chance of snow falling from the sky. That's what it's all about for at this time of year. Yes I'd love it to be a nailed on blizzard with 3 foot drifts on Thursday, but even if it was, the Channel Islands or France would steal it at +12 hours out!  

As for next weeks easterly, even if it didn't snow, that's fine by be as in extreme cold, then you never know right? A slider cold pop up.....oh yeah and head for France 

• Like 5

Posted

Seems anyone who is not a regular isn't allowed to post to the MAD thread these days. Posts get removed  :nonono:

• Like 1