Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

To follow on from Ian's post, the eps graphs are more visibly impressive on temps and slack wind flow than the Dutch ones appeared to be. odd really, considering they are representative of the same data.

note also that Rome and Madrid are not predicted to stay dry through week 2

maybe tomorrow morning will have a few more early viewers than seemed likely earlier 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

No. I'm clearly not stating that. Stop being silly.

How am I being silly, I'm simply stating that I doubt any Easterly that has verified in the past (worth mentioning) will have had some (NOT NESSESARILY LOTS) support at 300 hours out.

Posted

Dear all, 

Rarely post in this thread in fear of being shot down as I'm a pure amateur. But a very long time lurker.

Today's models have thrown us allsorts... and not the liquorice variety. Earlier alot of members posting "the hunt for cold... it's over for dec" and I believed them due to the fired up jet that is predicted due to the cold flooding into the US. But then the GFS then throws... a potential cold shot from the east. 

I really hope this is the case but learning from the past we need to see trends, future runs to back up this one run, alot can change in the space of a short space of time.

There is alot of "winter" remaining, patients is a virtue and eventually we will get what all us coldies want.

Keep up all the good work to all the seasoned and we'll established posters, you know who you are,your educational knowledge is very much appreciated and digested. Many thanks

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 minutes ago, chris pawsey said:

Dear all, 

Rarely post in this thread in fear of being shot down as I'm a pure amateur. But a very long time lurker.

Today's models have thrown us allsorts... and not the liquorice variety. Earlier alot of members posting "the hunt for cold... it's over for dec" and I believed them due to the fired up jet that is predicted due to the cold flooding into the US. But then the GFS then throws... a potential cold shot from the east. 

I really hope this is the case but learning from the past we need to see trends, future runs to back up this one run, alot can change in the space of a short space of time.

There is alot of "winter" remaining, patients is a virtue and eventually we will get what all us coldies want.

Keep up all the good work to all the seasoned and we'll established posters, you know who you are,your educational knowledge is very much appreciated and digested. Many thanks

Chris, majority are amateurs I here, in fact weather enthusiasts. Don't fear to post, and it's the best way to learn if your up for constructive criticism, and thick skinned enough to ignore the rude comments.

welcome

*however if you criticise unfairly accept you may get schooled by an expert :D

bobbydog there are no words, your comment/caption made me fall off the sofa lol

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

How am I being silly, I'm simply stating that I doubt any Easterly that has verified in the past (worth mentioning) will have had some (NOT NESSESARILY LOTS) support at 300 hours out.

*Necessarily 

And you didn't read what I said obviously. But I'll leave it there. Feel free to revert to your usual posts about mild weather being nailed on. :rofl:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Member 18

nite

Outlier. :wink:

nite nite. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, chris pawsey said:

Dear all, 

I'll back up Karlos here, we're almost all amateurs just having a go (and that's at weather forecasting, not at the UKMO ;) ) anyone shooting someone down for a well intentioned and respectful post should be ignored IMO. One day you'll spot the trend when no-one else, not even the professionals do. And that makes your contribution worth it :)

What do you think - easterly or no easterly? I'm at about 25% tonight, up from about 10% yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'll back up Karlos here, we're almost all amateurs just having a go (and that's at weather forecasting, not at the UKMO ;) ) anyone shooting someone down for a well intentioned and respectful post should be ignored IMO. One day you'll spot the trend when no-one else, not even the professionals do. And that makes your contribution worth it :)

What do you think - easterly or no easterly? I'm at about 25% tonight, up from about 10% yesterday.

35% because I'm an eternal optimist 

something akin to my avatar would do just nicely  

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

35% because I'm an eternal optimist 

Actually the ens have a few with the same potential too. It's not a big shift really, just ever so slightly back on the Atlantic gas. 

P18 really is something else, though

gens-18-0-192.png

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Can't reproduce entire meteograms from EC but here are ENS windroses for Reading, 22-23 Dec. Note (in major contrast to previous run) how whilst a SW flow quadrant (as per majority model climatology for that period) remains still the stronger signal by 23 Dec, we now have the 2nd largest - albeit oh-so-slightly - as an E'ly. Whether a wild goose chase (given recent ensemble roller coaster) or an incipient turning-point is now unfolding, we shall see. Jury out.

Screenshot_2016-12-09-23-21-35-1.png

That screams battleground! Not necessarily snowy but battleground nonetheless? With majority being sw'rly or E'rly then that's surely a fair assumption. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 9

Posted
40 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Nonsense statement. All kinds of options can pop up and verify from 300h due to the spread at that range. Not just easterlies.

Totally agree :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

lol battleground... Oh no not again...  said the bowl of petunias  

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Can't reproduce entire meteograms from EC but here are ENS windroses for Reading, 22-23 Dec. Note (in major contrast to previous run) how whilst a SW flow quadrant (as per majority model climatology for that period) remains still the stronger signal by 23 Dec, we now have the 2nd largest - albeit oh-so-slightly - as an E'ly. Whether a wild goose chase (given recent ensemble roller coaster) or an incipient turning-point is now unfolding, we shall see. Jury out.

Screenshot_2016-12-09-23-21-35-1.png

Hmmm ... High Pressure over us or slightly to our east, slightly more likely to be south-easterly based (milder) but possibly also north-easterly based?

Actually, sounds ever so slightly like the conundrum posed by the OP runs tonight in the D7-D10 range?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

lol battleground... Oh no not again...  said the bowl of petunias  

Eh...? I don't follow. Not like we've seen any recently 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
22 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

That screams battleground! Not necessarily snowy but battleground nonetheless? With majority being sw'rly or E'rly then that's surely a fair assumption 

Yes looks like battlegound scenario there...always a lot of fun and lucky for some. But a bit of an Easterly could be in the air tonight, could we get our once every 3 year upgrades, coldies certainly due a break as we enter the season to be merry,,,:ball-santa-emoji:

Edited by snowray
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Still only 1 GEFS member going significantly below -5c 850hpa, all a storm in a teacup and SWerly will be the predominant theme again by tomorrow.

• Like 2