Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well after alot of uncertainty over the last few days it seems that the potential for a cold spell has well and truly gone down the plughole and the sight of Uncle Barty and the pv seemingly wake up in the wrong place in the coming days is not a sight i wanted or had hoped for .On top of that no lowering of heights in the Med and it looks like we need snookers for any chance of a white xmas. As CC stated on here and has been banging the drum for a while(Fair play to him:acute:) he has never bought into a colder spell that so many others thought/hoped for.I know we are not mid-month yet but history tells me as well as the models that it would take the mother of all flip backs for a cold spell to arrive anytime soon.North America has once again nicked all the cold and looking at LRFs for that side of the pond it looks like many over there will be having a white xmas( either snow on ground or falling). 

Still enjoying this forum though even though it has been painful to watch this week and just hope that a "miracle" happens and the models suddenly flip to cold(I know-there"s a pig up there in the sky lol!!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

Many thanks for posting this Carinthian. This is what I have been trying to stress as a real contender in about 7 to 8 days time from now. The trend today has been to strengthen those heights over scandi. I have also noticed over the years how good the ukmo is at forecasting scandi highs :)

Yes Blizzard, its now our only hope. Funny enough , just got our latest snow portal update ( Austria ) and they go for a major drop in temperature in 8 days time with snow in the forecast. So I would assume some sort of under cut under the high pressure , whether this affects the UK eventually will all depends if a Scandi high can be prolonged. Lets hope, will be watching closely.

C

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Well after alot of uncertainty over the last few days it seems that the potential for a cold spell has well and truly gone down the plughole and the sight of Uncle Barty and the pv seemingly wake up in the wrong place in the coming days is not a sight i wanted or had hoped for .On top of that no lowering of heights in the Med and it looks like we need snookers for any chance of a white xmas. As CC stated on here and has been banging the drum for a while(Fair play to him:acute:) he has never bought into a colder spell that so many others thought/hoped for.I know we are not mid-month yet but history tells me as well as the models that it would take the mother of all flip backs for a cold spell to arrive anytime soon.North America has once again nicked all the cold and looking at LRFs for that side of the pond it looks like many over there will be having a white xmas( either snow on ground or falling). 

Still enjoying this forum though even though it has been painful to watch this week and just hope that a "miracle" happens and the models suddenly flip to cold(I know-there"s a pig up there in the sky lol!!)

I am getting very confused because the post above yours from blizzard81 also quoting Carinthian says the opposite!

fromey 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Yes Blizzard, its now our only hope. Funny enough , just got our latest snow portal update ( Austria ) and they go for a major drop in temperature in 8 days time with snow in the forecast. So I would assume some sort of under cut under the high pressure , whether this affects the UK eventually will all depends if a Scandi high can be prolonged. Lets hope, will be watching closely.

C

I think this potential for approximately next weekend will be built upon over the next 24 to 48 hours. If I am reading the debilt ecm ensembles correctly, there is a cluster of easterlies starting from day 8. These were not showing on the 00z ensembles.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, fromey said:

I am getting very confused because the post above yours from blizzard81 also quoting Carinthian says the opposite!

fromey 

Just differing opinions :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Just differing opinions :)

I know, it's just getting very confusing

i value every ones views and input, but boy it's one hell of a rollercoaster

fromey 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowmut said:

What,Bob?..must be another war in the Pacific!!

No, quite the opposite. 

image.jpeg

I don't understand the mass hysteria myself. Some folks don't like the background signals but this one I think is going to underpin our destiny. GEFS and jma MJO forecast takes us to phase 8 on the run up to xmas - which has a ripple effect, in the northern hemisphere, it could be the shake up we've been looking for. This is a high amplitude phase, known to help produce northern latitude blocking. I don't understand the dynamics. Therefore it's a v positive 'forcing' with the current state of low angular momentum being a thorn, spoken by the likes of Tamara, it may be the piece of the puzzle, we've been looking for, so a proper cold pattern can come about. I'm calling for a change of fortune in the model output in the coming days ahead, from late Dec into early January for UK to see a genuine cold spell from the E. Forsooth, I've cursed it well we'll just have to see. :) 

Edited by Changing Skies
  • Like 8

Posted

This evening's anomalies are not a great deal of help in attempting to be definitive even in the 5-10 time frame. No big surprise that NOAA and GEFS seem to be nearer the same ball park with the EPS dissenting. The problem appears to arise with the precise orientation of the Aleutian HP and the Canadian Vortex. Certainly the EPS has a different angle on the former. Downstream slight variations on the angle and depth of the Atlantic trough which in combination with the different interpretation of the strength and orientation of the European HP lead to different levels of amplification in the Atlantic which will invariable lead to different day to day surface evolutions.

On the face of it NOAA (especially) and the GEFs with the ridging adjacent to the UK and fairly strong positive anomalies to the NE would incline to better weather as systems generated by the upper trough to the west will track NE in the strong thermal gradient. The EPS, with the HP further east is tending slightly flatter. Essentially this mainly variations by degree and made come out in the wash as we move forward

610day.03.gifecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

Well it doesn't come out in the wash in the 10-15 time frame. The EPS remains the lone wolf upstream and thus the amplification downstream with a negatively tilted trough to the north west. NOAA would certainly be the better outcome with quite a slack upper flow and the possibility of the surface HP being quite adjacent to the south east.

814day.03.gifgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
2 minutes ago, fromey said:

I know, it's just getting very confusing

i value every ones views and input, but boy it's one hell of a rollercoaster

fromey 

That"s why i enjoy this forum as it is about opinions.I just feel that the UK has missed out on a potential cold spell but hope i am well and truly wrong 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I think this potential for approximately next weekend will be built upon over the next 24 to 48 hours. If I am reading the debilt ecm ensembles correctly, there is a cluster of easterlies starting from day 8. These were not showing on the 00z ensembles.

Very few ice days (3 or 4) showing over there. An easterly flow in december would deliver ice days in holland, especially further south east. 

The new eps keeps the Atlantic trough that bit further west compared to the 00z run and sinks the low anomoly to our west a tad more taking the jet a little further south. Sceuro ridge little more defined. The GEFS and eps perhaps beginning to come together?? 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

The ecm 10 day ensembles for debilt seems to show a cluster of easterlies at days 8 to 10 :)

Yes theres a cluster which look like keeping the high further north, wind directions between east and se with much lower dew points. The much  bigger cluster though does look to have the high further south.

Generally in these situations with a strong signal in the GFS/ECM to become even flatter and drive the jet ene after day 7 then its the starting point re base position of the high earlier that's important, because once the topple happens any cold advection westwards is set at that point.

For that reason we should be looking quite early on for any small changes be it in either sharpness of upstream trough and slower more amplified shortwave exiting the ne USA to see whether we can get that high further north.

A crucial time is when that shortwave phases with the troughing to the west between T96 and T120hrs, at this point you'll get some energy thrown towards the high, how much goes se versus ne.

I'm doing my best here to turn an underwhelming rom com into something a bit more exciting!

• Like 5

Posted

Some good posts in the past 30 minutes, yes eyes on whether we see a more sharpened trough feature exiting the NE USA seaboard at the 144hrs, which will induce a more pronounced amplified low, allowing the ridge to our east to become more north-south aligned rather than east-west aligned which in turn would force the jetstream on a more NE path, meaning the current progged deep low shown on today's models rather than taking a more east-west path, will be forced NE, and crucially enable heights to build in more strongly from the SE aided by the azores high which will be able to ridge north as well.

I'm not seeing an easy ride for the atlantic zonal train, the ridge to the east looks a strong feature. In time it could very easily anchor itself into a position that enable the UK to sit on the colder side of the jet, before December is out.

I suspect the models will be painting a very different outlook 240 hr timeframe this time next week than they are now.

• Like 3

Posted

At T72hrs the GFS 18hrs run looks a small upgrade compared to the earlier 12hrs, the troughing to the west digging a bit further south and further west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
29 minutes ago, knocker said:

This evening's anomalies are not a great deal of help in attempting to be definitive even in the 5-10 time frame. No big surprise that NOAA and GEFS seem to be nearer the same ball park with the EPS dissenting. The problem appears to arise with the precise orientation of the Aleutian HP and the Canadian Vortex. Certainly the EPS has a different angle on the former. Downstream slight variations on the angle and depth of the Atlantic trough which in combination with the different interpretation of the strength and orientation of the European HP lead to different levels of amplification in the Atlantic which will invariable lead to different day to day surface evolutions.

On the face of it NOAA (especially) and the GEFs with the ridging adjacent to the UK and fairly strong positive anomalies to the NE would incline to better weather as systems generated by the upper trough to the west will track NE in the strong thermal gradient. The EPS, with the HP further east is tending slightly flatter. Essentially this mainly variations by degree and made come out in the wash as we move forward

610day.03.gifecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

Well it doesn't come out in the wash in the 10-15 time frame. The EPS remains the lone wolf upstream and thus the amplification downstream with a negatively tilted trough to the north west. NOAA would certainly be the better outcome with quite a slack upper flow and the possibility of the surface HP being quite adjacent to the south east.

814day.03.gifgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.png

Yes Knocker the upstream modeling continue to create the differences with the GFS and ECM  with the lattershowing a flatter Atlantic pattern.

It may or may not be some comfort to coldies that the ECM ens at day 10 highlight the Aleutian area as the big spread in it's modeling solutions.

EEH1-240.gif

maybe related to the uncertainty in the tropical forecasts?

Anyway that uncertainty is shown to a lesser degree in the downstream Atlantic pattern right across towards Scandinavia.Maybe more changes in the models to come.

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, LRD said:

Evening all

First post. Been a long time lurker.

I wish my 1st post was able to talk about positives! The models look shocking and after all the expectation, the last few days, as realisation has started to sink in that cold was becoming an ever-distant prospect, have been a real disappointment to folk like me who like cold in winter. Got to say that I don't ever recall a winter where the longer term models have been proved so wrong (so far).

Don't think we should be giving up on longer term models though. GLOSEA has performed well in the past. Some have been calling to stop bothering with longer term models but that's defeatist. Got to keep learning and improving understanding. That's what science is about

Welcome! 

I'm afraid it is only the longer term models we cannot see which have built the idea of a cold early winter. Not one of the online (for all to see) models showed anything but a varying degree of positive for temperatures. The fact the UKMO had such confidence in their own products has allowed eyes to be taken off the ball and ignore the less palatable options from other forecast agencies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Definitely a more N/S aspect to the ridge to our west...

12Z gfsnh-0-114.png?12  18Z gfsnh-0-108.png?18

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 8

Posted

18z Shows what might have been possible if the Atlantic jet wasn't so strong. Remember those GEFS run from last Saturday which showed winter coming this week. They had the Atlantic jet too weak. will be interesting to see fi if the picture remains very amplified at day 8.  Nearly all of the wacky cold fi runs have been on the back of a very amplified day 8 (not surprisingly)

• Like 1

Posted

Very frustrating GFS run, the cold air is much further north but just most of the energy going over the top. As BA just mentioned without that jet on steroids we'd see that cold air advected westwards. Last winter we hardly ever saw any pressure rises to the ne and so far in the last few weeks we've had several chances which look like being close but no cigar.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Talk about beast from the east from the 18z. Look at the cold pool! Proper cold for central and eastern Europe if it verifies.

gfs-1-144 (1).png

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 2