Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

you know I was just looking back at the runs for last Friday and next weekend currently looks more wintry than this one did at that range, both on the op and ens. I wonder if next weekend could end up just as interesting as this one is looking ........

Bluearmy do you think the intense snow accumulations on the ecm are because of 3 seperate lows than the 2 that ukmo and gfs have got at 48 hours!!looks more elongated aswell!!

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Bluearmy do you think the intense snow accumulations on the ecm are because of 3 seperate lows than the 2 that ukmo and gfs have got at 48 hours!!looks more elongated aswell!!

not going to waste energy looking into mate it as so variable at this range given the feature hasn't even formed !!

T192 doesn't look like it should given the general chatter on the way forward next week .............. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Probably accurate, the South-East misses out again. 

On a serious note, I don't know what algorithms those charts use to determine snow accumulation but they definitely seem well "out there" compared to every other model in existence.

I think a thorough test of these snow charts is coming up. If England shuts down on Monday morning, you'll know you can trust them!!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed TEITS: with each run that comes along, the emphasis is becoming less and less toward a cold outlook; it's as if the less-cold spells are getting longer whilst the 'Arctic blasts' get fewer and farther between...?

From what I'm seeing, once the early part of next week's out of the way, any cause for celebration fades to almost nothing. Until the time when/if a strong Scandi high develops, of course?:unknw:

As per today’s MetO long ranger. 

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Good trends from the GFS and ECM with the troughing disrupting to the west at T168 and T192hrs , energy heading se'wards.

A chance we could see our Scandi friend pop up in future runs if this continues.

Yep, the ecm is much much better than the 00 run in the mid term. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Good trends from the GFS and ECM with the troughing disrupting to the west , energy heading se'wards.

A chance we could see our Scandi friend pop up in future runs if this continues.

the arctic high profile is quite different from the 00z run which allowed a chunk of vortex to head west from nw Siberia across to Canada. never a good thing for the northern arm

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I think a thorough test of these snow charts is coming up. If England shuts down on Monday morning, you'll know you can trust them!!

only if the system verifies like that MWB. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
4 minutes ago, shaky said:

I am wondering whether perhaps it does not take into account any thawing and is a "theoretical" accumulation if it was all to settle straight away? Would it be that simple? 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

Shaky do you have a crush on Steve Mirr ??? every run you excitedly ask him a question LMAO 

it was aimed at me, not steve.   steve would have answered !!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Good trends from the GFS and ECM with the troughing disrupting to the west at T168 and T192hrs , energy heading se'wards.

Agree Nick I think people aren't realizing the angle of the map in the ECM and just seeing pure westerlies. Also we also keep -4 over us on the 850 charts. So although we lose the -8 and -10 it isn't going to mild.

• Like 2

Posted

Very big uncertainty for Monday, though Sunday's event starting to firm up.

Anyway, the 12z ECM op still showing a good event as well, though the far SE does stay in the rain zone. Any height probably would help, as will be further west (to an extent as I think it will shift SE with time).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Out in deep FI, but at 240 there some pretty impressive cold building up to the north east.  Now if we could just find a way to get it this way......

ECH0-240.GIF?08-0

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed TEITS: with each run that comes along, the emphasis is becoming less and less toward a cold outlook; it's as if the less-cold spells are getting longer whilst the 'Arctic blasts' get fewer and farther between...?

From what I'm seeing, once the early part of next week's out of the way, any cause for celebration fades to almost nothing. Until the time when/if a strong Scandi high develops, of course?:unknw:

Feels like the other way around to me the milder air gets downgraded and the cold hangs around for longer fighting the mild air off,with not very special looking charts either the mid atlantic ridge high kicking that jet to the SW,and kicking the lows further south and bringing huge amounts of snow.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
22 minutes ago, chris55 said:

I know this is the MOD thread, but the charts for Sunday into Monday are so complex and changeable the focus of discussion is firmly at this timescale, which is nice to see, I don't think I have seen the term "FI" mentioned for some significant time ;) 

1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Out in deep FI, but at 240 there some pretty impressive cold building up to the north east.  Now if we could just find a way to get it this way......

ECH0-240.GIF?08-0

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Agree Nick I think people aren't realizing the angle of the map in the ECM and just seeing pure westerlies. Also we also keep -4 over us on the 850 charts. So although we lose the -8 and -10 it isn't going to mild.

I'm glad to see some reasonableness here. All this doom and gloom and we can't even get sunday pinned down yet! as Tamara and GP said, the models will struggle with this potential switch from polar maritime to scandi high. We've even had the 12z give us a bit of a teaser of what could develop from 22nd onwards. 

Some eye candy from the ECM 

modez.png 

Posted

what a day 10 chart hemisperically. the Canadian vortex, starved of renewed low heights early on looks a lot less angry late on and across the other side of the NH, a big ridge is about to head north. would be nice to see the eps follow this theme - split ahead ?????

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

what a day 10 chart hemisperically. the Canadian vortex, starved of renewed low heights early on looks a lot less angry late on and across the other side of the NH, a big ridge is about to head north. would be nice to see the eps follow this theme - split ahead ?????

Absolutely Blue. I can't wait for the ecm ens

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yeah i honestly think if the ECM went on a few more frames you'd see the signs of a scandi/iceland high start to develop. It's definitely a 'who gets there first' type situation. if the ridge can get ahead of the trough, chances are those lows won't take the high down. Ideally sliders and retrogression later but i'll bank this.