Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Well i think this period of model watching can easily granted historic due to the synoptics on the table and the record ssw and major model inconsistency recently. It does beg the question still to me. A number of gefs ensembles for example take 850s to -10 and around 6 or 7 go down to -15 around the same time. It makes me think that the very cold outcome is just as plausible. Are these more rogue runs sniffing something, that the other models havent worked onto yet? It is a modelling period which cannot be compared to previous events in the past. The models have never had to model an ssw on this scale. This makes me feel like we stand a good chance of further upgrades in the model output as we dont know how they are gonna handle this compared to other events. Maybe the upgrades will be brought foward or maybe it wont. Time will tell though and whatever the outcome, this period will be talked about for many years on here am sure.

MT8_Aberdeen_ens.png

MT8_London_ens.png

Edited by Snowjokes92
Gfs links

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

So - Saturday evening thought. Over the last week or so the models have generally been playing catch up in getting a handle on the tropospheric response to a major arctic warming and significant reversal. We are still seeing winds in reverse. Human interpretation has significantly led the way.

Are the models likely still to be playing catch up? Is it probable that all algorithms continue to overplay the normal westerly pattern, and undercook the speed of cold air advection westwards?

Id say yes - possible. Some of the more extreme runs on show may actually be more probable than we would normally expect to be the case, and rather than expecting a watering down of the process I wouldn’t be surprised to see a watering up - if you see what I mean.

Current mean forecast for the reversal sees it in operation until 1st March

u_65N_10hpa_gefs.png

Next warning phase directed at the Canadian vortex visible above and about to start. There will obviously be varying effects at different heights over this period, but I wouldn’t expect to see any resumption in dominant westerly forecasting for around a fortnight. We might actually see rather more in the way of upgrades rather than downgrades this time around.

Can’t quite believe my thinking is taking me down this path. 

Always nice to hear an educated and understated ramp. :D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Well i think this period of model watching can easily granted historic due to the synoptics on the table and the record ssw and major model inconsistency recently. It does beg the question still to me. A number of gefs ensembles for example take 850s to -10 and around 6 or 7 go down to -15 around the same time. It makes me think that the very cold outcome is just as plausible. Are these more rogue runs sniffing something, that the other models havent worked onto yet? It is a modelling period which cannot be compared to previous events in the past. The models have never had to model an ssw on this scale. This makes me feel like we stand a good chance of further upgrades in the model output as we dont know how they are gonna handle this compared to other events. Maybe the upgrades will be brought foward or maybe it wont. Time will tell though and whatever the outcome, this period will be talked about for many years on here am sure.

MT8_Aberdeen_ens.png

MT8_London_ens.png

Those ensembles aren't actually as good as I thought they might be. For coldies this really will be feast or famine. No middle ground or consolation prize. Will be fascinating looking back at this and see what went right and/or wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

NAVGEM on board with the easterly too. Deep cold air headed our way

image.png

image.png

Excellent. I'm well chuffed that NAVGEM is on board

Posted

J192-21.GIF?17-12

JMA 192, decent but 500 hpa height stubbornly high over us even at that stage. Cold air on the way though/

Edited by The Eagle

Posted
11 minutes ago, LRD said:

Those ensembles aren't actually as good as I thought they might be. For coldies this really will be feast or famine. No middle ground or consolation prize. Will be fascinating looking back at this and see what went right and/or wrong

I agree it will be memorable for either right or wrong reasons, but will learn so much from it.

Edited by Snowjokes92
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All! Well an Easterly looks pretty certain now from mid week onwards,but will the Easterly deliver? The deep cold gets to us at day ten but gfs goes to show how horribly wrong things can go .......any interest is still at day ten ...watch this space:rofl:

ecmt850.240-4.png

ecmt850.192.png

h850t850eu-6.png

h850t850eu-5.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowjokes92 said:

I agree it will be memorable for either right or wrong reasons, but will learn so much from it.

Think these are 12z ecm means and wow they are pretty desent, notice the greens widening and moving north west at each frame!

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

Bloody hell, at this range they are stunning means. But aren't they from last night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
36 minutes ago, Southender said:

Anyone concerned the coldest uppers could drift south of us as has happened so many times in the past? Or am I worrying too much? ?

If the block were to remain slap bang over the UK - then yes. But the wealth of data from all parts is strongly suggesting that this wont happen. Doesnt make it impossible - but right now just cant see all that cold ending up in the Med. As things stand, it is heading across western Europe.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, LRD said:

Excellent. I'm well chuffed that NAVGEM is on board

Just wait until the BOM gets on board.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It's all coming together nicely according to the Ecm 12z..hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that but in the short term, a warm front pushing across the uk from the west should be the last warm front introducing milder air for a very long time!!..as it is, Monday looks the mildest day but it doesn't last, it gets squeezed by colder air spreading from the west and east by tuesday and after Monday it looks like becoming largely settled with sunny spells and overnight frosts away from the far NW...then hopefully the major cold will start flooding west next weekend with the first snow flurries affecting eastern counties.:):cold-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Bloody hell, at this range they are stunning means. But aren't they from last night?

Yeah they are from Friday. Mean out to 96h so far

ECMAVGEU12_96_1.png

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Could be. My bad saw 12z on them and got excites. Oops lol. Might be actually ok when they do come out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Lovely mean at 240!

17817FE4-C44B-4F47-B081-D4C2A121ED23.gif

• Like 3

Posted

ECM mean has the lows in the Atlantic pushed a bit further west than the OP at 120h

Mean                                                    OP

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.pngECMOPEU12_120_1.png

Edited by Snowy L

Posted

Stating the obvious I know

For those who keep saying it’s always at D10 well the Easterlies have to be forecast at some point .

The Met mentioned Easterlies on Feb2nd and forecast them to arrive between 16th Feb and 2nd March , well they are slowly getting here . Let’s see how far out they are in 168hours . 

Good charts again today , we are slowly counting down . Let’s hope there is something special at the end of this rainbow 

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, bradythemole said:

Lovely mean at 240!

17817FE4-C44B-4F47-B081-D4C2A121ED23.gif

Quite a scatter though!! 

graphe_ens3.php?mode=0&x=&y=&run=12&vill  graphe_ens3.php?mode=2&x=&y=&run=12&vill

Very rare to see -13C 850s within the ensemble range (Worth noting that the shaded bit doesn't include complete outliers, so there could be runs that are colder still)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ECM mean has trended down a bit from the 00z more noticeable past the 25th

graphe_ens3_php1.thumb.png.a8d48caf10fbd4b17aaef8335e660fe0.pnggraphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.2336dd52c7caa1bdc360936da436ff3d.png

Big swing to cold there,where do you find those charts I can never find them (

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

why is it always day 10?!

• Like 3