Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But when they catch it, go home to their parents, their grandparents will catch it, and in any case it does kill young people as well, just not that many.

It is 'possible' to master 'Barrier Medicine' even with small kids in the loop you know?

Just be very mindful of ANY potential risk of 'contact infection' for those isolated and minimise it

You'll wash yer boots in detergent to save the farm animals so why not have that 'dilute bleach solution and wipe' near all those 'contact hotspots' around the house for your oldies if you visit/they visit?

It's not for ever you know!

BE MINDFUL & keep virus free!

If you do end up with a dry cough/sore throat/fever/achy jakey joints/lethargy then go all Jesse James on us and wear that facial Bandana to catch your 'outputs'?

It might get us in the (end before 'herd immunity does for it) but it's mild for most all of us so try and go as L-o-n-g as you can before succumbing!

If we can 'Battle of the Bulge' it for a few months so 'Peak Infection' falls over 3 months (rather than weeks?) I'd call that a 'Victory'?

We ALL need to do our bit for a few months and try our best and 'stall' infection where we can?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

The problem with closing Schools is that most parents will fob their kids off on the grandparents (if they have any) in order to continue going to work regardless of how ill the kid is.... perfect combination there for increasing the exposure of the elderly....

If they keep going to work as if nothing is happening, then Wuhan is the end result of that and everything will grind to a stop for a few weeks whether they like it or not...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I think they may be waiting until after 1800, when Macron is holding his council of defence meeting, to give out today's French case numbers.

Guest Delete Me

Be interesting to see how the EU react in terms of funding for affected countries from that big pot of money

Posted
25 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

What do you suggest for these people? They can’t go out and nothing can be delivered because of the risk of infection? What about those in care homes? Do they have to overthrow and forcibly remove the staff and barricade the doors?

Surely if everyone takes precautions and make adjustments now then the consequence would be far less than if everyone went blindly on and resulted hundreds of thousands or even millions being infected at once? Not to mention the fact that 10% become critically ill, no healthcare system could cope and this would lead to a lot of needless deaths, and not just from the virus those resources would not be present to treat other illnesses or accidents either.

What would you suggest I do? I can't stay quarantined for 2 weeks, I would have no income nor someone to do groceries. I should starve myself because I have a cough? 

Posted
32 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But when they catch it, go home to their parents, their grandparents will catch it, and in any case it does kill young people as well, just not that many.

For now the virus only seems to affect those with pre-existing conditions or those critical of the chinese government

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I've never known a Sunday like this work wise.

In a 800 space car park, we have 39 cars in. Shops dont shut for another 30mins here.

Surface car parks are all empty now as well. 

Theres literally nobody in the City Centre. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Another bad day for Germany with 100+. Ours are probably about a week behind with 60+ today. 

Guest Delete Me

Every supermarket needs to employ a rationing system on certain items, I know a few have adopted this but they all need to follow suit else demand will outstrip supply completely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Donegal said:

I'm planning on doing my shop tonight at midnight. 24 hour shop. Seeing all those videos of the weirdos fighting over the toilet roll yesterday just put me off can't deal with that crap . So hopefully it's quiet then, this is based purely off avoiding idiots, not corona ha. 

True but kill 2 birds with one stone there, i would do the same but tomorrow i have to go and get my months beer supply in, but its strong lager and the Asian shop is cheaper than supermarkets in that respect so have no choice but to go in the day, no buses running that far at midnight and shop would be closed in any case.

Posted
6 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

What would you suggest I do? I can't stay quarantined for 2 weeks, I would have no income nor someone to do groceries. I should starve myself because I have a cough? 

Here's a little something for you to think about, if you would like to:

You have used the pronoun "I" five times above. This disease is not "a cough". Yes, 80% of people will probably get a relatively mild illness but that leaves 20% who won't and even if you prefer not to think of those people, then there are those of us who do and who will. Thankfully the authorities will also think of them as well.

At times like this we need to show the collective-oriented, human side of our humanity - for the good of everyone, including ourselves.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
46 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Good thing for Spain is that this week there is a nice little heatwave arriving for some parts which will hopefully kill off some of the virus.

It may give an indication perhaps on if heat has an effect, but the change will be delayed, we have to look at new numbers around one to two weeks later falling. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Read all of this if you have the chance!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4

Posted

An Easyjet flight from Porto to Lyon has been diverted to Toulouse over suspicions that several passengers may be infected.

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

"A British man who has been diagnosed with the coronavirus has told Radio 4's Broadcasting House that he was "shocked" at the lack of information and testing when he arrived back in the UK from a skiing holiday in northern Italy.

He flew home from the Austrian city of Innsbruck, just across the border from Italy, to Manchester Airport last weekend.

"It was rather strange... when, we got in to Manchester [airport] there was no mention of coronavirus whatsoever - no advice, no checks... I was a little shocked to be honest," he told the BBC's Luke Jones.

He said he and his wife took the decision to self-isolate after being in a ski resort packed with local tourists.

He describes the illness as starting with "a bit of a dry cough - and then suddenly feeling feverish".

He attended a pod for a swab test after speaking to NHS 111 and learned he had tested positive three days later.

"By self-isolating, think of all the lives we've saved," he said, on the radio.

He says he is now "well-recovered". His wife did not test positive, but both remain in self-isolation.

"We are both self-employed and this is affecting our income a little, but you've got to do what you've got to do - and we did the right thing."" (Source: BBC live)

For all the "less sensible" (putting it politely) people out there, thankfully there are some and hopefully many who make good and considerate decisions.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
48 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Kids are virtually immune for corona, there have been 0 patients younger than 9 years old and when they do get it the symptoms are very mild. Really the whole world doesn't need to grind to a halt what for most of us isn't even a real (influenza) flu.

25-30 years ago before we started vaccinating at risk populations yearly for influenza strains we didn't panic either 

I hope you are right, personally I think taking some precautions are something all should do,, you won't see me turning up at my mother's right now if I was in anyway under the weather, she's had a small stroke a few years back, so has associated blood problems, and has bad lungs too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
20 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Another bad day for Germany with 100+. Ours are probably about a week behind with 60+ today. 

Still no deaths in Germany, I also think the figures in South Korea are very telling as that is the place which has had the most rigorous testing... 

It indicates to me that there is a large number of people with very mild symptoms who have gone unreported and that the mortality rate is artificially inflated as those who do get more ill are more likely to enquire about whether they have got it. 

Also look at the Figures for the Wuhan Province, 11 million people and only 66k cases, that's only 0.5% of the population there. Either it isn't very contagious at all (evidence suggests otherwise) or many people who get it just get very mild symptoms and don't report it, with the figures biased towards those who are ill and vulnerable. 

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
2 hours ago, swebby said:

I'm beginning to wonder if there is anyone that has returned from Northern Italy that does not have it?!

In some respects, this may be reassuring, as it is an indicator that the Italian case numbers must be way off and so their mortality rate is less alarming than the raw numbers suggest.

Yes, my daughter in law - she’s fine. I’m concerned more about all the generalisations and assumptions about what’s happening in Italy and about Italians themselves; turning away cruise ship because it has Italian nationals as passengers, Italians being targeted in the UK, Italian small businesses in London having cancellations “because we can’t risk catching the virus from you” (my daughter in law’s business) than I am about catching Covid-19 myself. 

All my family, and extended family, live near to ( and now in the newly quarantined areas) and they have been reporting that, yes people are concerned and worried about elderly relatives in care homes who they’ve not been allowed to visit for nearly a week now, but that food is available in the shops and people are calm. 

• Like 3

Posted
59 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Not sure where in the city but Wolverhampton has its first confirmed case of Coronavirus announced today

Great   better not be here 

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I hope you are right, personally I think taking some precautions are something all should do,, you won't see me turning up at my mother's right now if I was in anyway under the weather, she's had a small stroke a few years back, so has associated blood problems, and has bad lungs too. 

I probably won't visit my mother either but I already made peace with the fact that I will catch the virus, it's almost guaranteed with my work and not even having mouth masks available. I haven't been sick in years though, so I'll probably be alright

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

"A British man who has been diagnosed with the coronavirus has told Radio 4's Broadcasting House that he was "shocked" at the lack of information and testing when he arrived back in the UK from a skiing holiday in northern Italy.

He flew home from the Austrian city of Innsbruck, just across the border from Italy, to Manchester Airport last weekend.

"It was rather strange... when, we got in to Manchester [airport] there was no mention of coronavirus whatsoever - no advice, no checks... I was a little shocked to be honest," he told the BBC's Luke Jones.

He said he and his wife took the decision to self-isolate after being in a ski resort packed with local tourists.

He describes the illness as starting with "a bit of a dry cough - and then suddenly feeling feverish".

He attended a pod for a swab test after speaking to NHS 111 and learned he had tested positive three days later.

He says he is now "well-recovered". His wife did not test positive, but both remain in self-isolation.

"We are both self-employed and this is affecting our income a little, but you've got to do what you've got to do - and we did the right thing."" (Source: BBC live)

For all the "less sensible" (putting it politely) people out there, thankfully there are some and hopefully many who make good and considerate decisions.

problem is it doesn't need many idiots to completely nullify the sensible people, also you can self isolate when you think you have the virus but because community transmission is in full swing already, you will have probably infected others because of the incubation period, so it needs governments to bring in restrictions else we are powerless im afraid.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Its very interesting that his wife did not get the virus, obviously I am unaware of their personal circumstances, maybe they never got to within 3 feet of each other and self isolated in different houses?