Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The 6z out to 144 and pretty much in line with the 0z, but bringing the warmth slightly further west (although fine details at this range are relatively pointless).  Suffice to say, another hot run incoming:

image.thumb.png.22fac5240961048ab671209432e315d6.pngimage.thumb.png.f638f851a2153ff8ec940e4f866db03e.png 

• Like 5

GFS 06Z looking really good out to next Thursday, however the cynic in me (And I'm pretty damn cynical) says I'm not sure I trust GFS with a second surge of warmth from Friday through the weekend. 

Posted

GFS 06Z follows a mini-trend this morning by building a second Azores High towards the UK around Thursday:

gfs-0-156.png?6

This traps the heat around the UK for longer - although it is about to be displaced on the chart below for Sunday 28th, the run is hot from Tuesday 23rd up until this timeframe.

gfs-0-222.png?6  gfs-1-222.png?6

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Far from becoming clearer the Euro this morning was even more complex. Relative to the 12z run the core of the heat is reduced to Weds/Thurs however it drags on until Sunday rather than Saturday (beginning Tuesday). Unfortunately it also has that drop in pressure at day 6 followed by an area of low pressure slowly trying to make progress south. Much less thunder potential also and potentially cloudy for Scotland and Northern Ireland especially from Thursday onward.

The GFS model much like yesterday makes less of this drop in pressure mid-week and simply builds the Azores High north, it also never really clears the warm uppers until Monday and like last night has a slower (and likely more thundery and wet) breakdown. Interestingly though it completely tones down the uppers and indeed the 15C isotherm does not make it to the UK on the 6z so hot but not at all exceptional for June. 

The two things we can take from these runs for clarity are..

1) The peak impact is reduced and likely Wednesday/Thursday is when we will see our hottest temperature (probably north west of London). 

2) The duration of the 25C+ period at least now extends from Tues-Sunday if not Monday whatever happens. 

• Like 3

Posted

Certainly the 6z has watered down any prospects if a prolonged heat spell. As has been said, nothing unusual for SE this time of year. 3 hotish days and then a cool off. Remaining cool and rather unsettled midlands northwards throughout the period. 

• Like 1

Posted

Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk missed out on the peak of the heat during the first hot spell of 2019, but joined in 3 weeks later when a similar burst of heat arrived in the UK (see attached maps).

Is the heat next week likely to include the eastern counties as it usually does, or miss them like in June 2019?

Annotation 2020-06-19 115949.png

Annotation 2020-06-19 120745.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Gfs 6z operational, 30c is deffo under threat during the second half of next week and I imagine that because the Gfs is famous / infamous for underestimating maxima in these situations..90f is under threat (32c)..the truth is out there..!☀️?️..jeez I sound like the x files..oh and I’m all out of reactions, as usual..sorry Zak!!!!

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

06z GFS is still looking hot for the south

gfseuw-0-108.thumb.png.deaccdf149d3d75433a0913ecfbe5749.png   gfseuw-1-108.thumb.png.d68d2e74ba9536eb253f14d7bb7d6ec9.png

@JON SNOW

Apology accepted :oldlaugh:

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
18 minutes ago, Zak M said:

06z GFS is still looking hot for the south

gfseuw-0-108.thumb.png.deaccdf149d3d75433a0913ecfbe5749.png   gfseuw-1-108.thumb.png.d68d2e74ba9536eb253f14d7bb7d6ec9.png

And that's an old-school plume sat in Spain, with the required Atlantic low sitting in the right place to help scoop it up to us! Fingers crossed!!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

A fair few ens bringing in the +16 uppers perhaps a cut off point towards the Midlands Southwards! One thing for sure its going to be very warm in most places and after the last couple of days of persistent rain and cool temps, that will be most welcome here. So get your sangria and sun hats at the ready folks..

gens-2-0-174.png

gens-1-0-252.png

gens-4-0-156.png

gens-5-0-192.png

gens-6-0-216.png

324787.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Certainly the 6z has watered down any prospects if a prolonged heat spell. As has been said, nothing unusual for SE this time of year. 3 hotish days and then a cool off. Remaining cool and rather unsettled midlands northwards throughout the period. 

Has it? Strong high pressure anchored over Scandinavia and the continent with low pressure out in the Atlantic drawing in south to south-easterly winds? Sounds pretty conducive to prolonged heat if the conditions are right. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

AEDA3040-5C15-438A-86B4-BD5CED89CD4B.thumb.png.847f56e38baa9db587cb95eea323b62d.png

850s are above 10c for 7 days in a row. That’s a warm spell in anyone’s book.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
31 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Has it? Strong high pressure anchored over Scandinavia and the continent with low pressure out in the Atlantic drawing in south to south-easterly winds? Sounds pretty conducive to prolonged heat if the conditions are right. 

Agreed, looking at the GEFS 6z mean there’s plenty of positives to accentuate, especially the second half of next week in terms of hot potential!..as there was on the 0z..and...as it’s the u k, breakdowns, cooler blips are to be expected as we are not in the Mediterranean but to be honest, I don’t see much to be negative about, at least  for those in the southern half / third of the u k during the upcoming period!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Good to see the Navgem is being consistent even if it is consistently wrong with it uppers .

AD9A6336-5191-49FE-9522-E113D35605F1.png

4C5D60D6-3B33-4D7B-8D93-67DF8F05B562.png

Can I ask a question and yes I know it’s hypothetical as the uppers are wrong , but what’s the likely top temperature if these  charts really did come off ?  

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Good to see the Navgem is being consistent even if it is consistently wrong with it uppers .

Can I ask a question and yes I know it’s hypothetical as the uppers are wrong , but what’s the likely top temperature if they charts came off ?  

36-37 - if sustained 38-39

• Like 8

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Can I ask a question and yes I know it’s hypothetical as the uppers are wrong , but what’s the likely top temperature if they charts came off ?  

navgem-8-156_gpy5.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
21 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

36-37 - if sustained 38-39

Thanks Steve , Much Appreciated 

Posted

While we wait for the 12Zs, a look at the ECM clusters from this morning between D11 and D15 (30th June to 4th July). Note the change in anomaly colours represents the switch from June means to July means

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020061900_264.  ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020061900_312.  ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020061900_360.

Overall, clusters 1 and 3 maintain high anomalies close to the UK after perhaps a short NW phase on cluster 1. The two clusters combined contain 70% of the ensembles, so it's a 70/30 split in favour of more summery weather as July begins, with warm to hot temperatures. Cluster 2 is a cooler and more changeable, particularly in the north.

• Like 6

Posted

I’m not bothered about a breakdown as long as it’s thundery - however, in recent years the heat just sort of fizzles out with drizzle moving in.

• Like 6