Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
14 minutes ago, Premier Neige said:

Sorry, not model related but relevant I think. The BBC has been showing sleet for Friday for my part of the world (South Yorkshire) from Sunday until this morning. I've just checked the latest update and it's gone.....

Screenshot_20201202-111611_BBC Weather.jpg

Never rely on weather apps especially for snow.. Very unreliable and change every few hours!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

PTB 18 from the 06z could be the jackpot 30cm run!

8777AED4-F291-4553-8A80-AA2035A852BA.thumb.png.3927ef87fc67bbbfad231154164987d0.png

It wouldn't. The low resolution of those charts makes the odd bit of sleet/hill snow look like a widespread blizzards. It would be mostly rain to low levels. Look at East Anglia.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A couple of highlights from the UKV, while I'm on a break from putting the outdoor Christmas lights up: 

viewimage.thumb.png.254a160de16a811659e158ec87057c25.png viewimage-1.thumb.png.7818d56fbe68f0010e6ac74ed39b8410.png viewimage-2.thumb.png.8477086f16553c7b0c5da09f80fc788f.png viewimage-3.thumb.png.66a5f7990d9486f8b02be3071af57cf1.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
26 minutes ago, Premier Neige said:

Sorry, not model related but relevant I think. The BBC has been showing sleet for Friday for my part of the world (South Yorkshire) from Sunday until this morning. I've just checked the latest update and it's gone.....

Screenshot_20201202-111611_BBC Weather.jpg

Regional sir

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, sheikhy said:

Was there not a 06z ecm update at one time!? If its available i wonder if it still shows the same as the 00z run?

I believe this is only available to the boffins and was run only out to 180 hrs?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Another wicked FI on the GFS 6z op . Been quite a few lately on the op runs . That would be an amazing way to start the run up to Christmas week . 

32A0AD45-F0F6-461E-9648-D1FA2FA902FC.png

9BD86F6E-79D4-45D4-9F04-1F09B28F4475.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

So good I posted it twice.  Cold Nirvana...now I’m worried 

BFTP

image.png

image.png

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted

Looking at the pressure charts only euro4 has the low for friday further south and west than the gfs!!!!!big disagreement between the 2!!gfs pulls everything east and northwards!!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

So lets be honest if your of a cold persuation then this is the reason you login to see charts like this - even better to actually verify...

Not sure about anyone else but see this on the maps allows me to drift away & daydream a bit about years gone by & childhood memories of playing in the snow r hours & sledging etc...

B9D0F3C5-ACBA-4368-A975-4BB323610F3E.thumb.jpeg.5bfe2581116d203e4750ae6565dfd07e.jpeg

06z 384 off the scale..

21C8B35E-A08F-4765-8710-A85B50C76F92.thumb.jpeg.81abfc1e89dcc6bc6b88b9f86a1a1527.jpeg

@MattStoke

You are wrong buddy - if such an intense area of PPN did form at those echoes of 10-15mm per hour then it will over ride all the negative marginal factors.

Ive been sat in the SE thread for 10 years & see random places like crawley get 7 inches of snow along a wave just because the PPN was red echoes on radar....

"Not sure about anyone else but see this on the maps allows me to drift away & daydream a bit about years gone by & childhood memories of playing in the snow r hours & sledging etc..."

Bang on... as a child of the 80's I still to this date treasure those days, school being shut early lobbing snowballs and sledging...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
2 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Upstream the GFS shows no interest at all in the ECM solution . Given we’re talking about within T96 hrs , tonight one model is going to suffer a humiliating climbdown .

and that model is most likely to be the GFS lot of the time the GFS always goes to the ECM solution as for now I cannot see any significant snow for Ellie low ground only snow will be for the usual places like Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

"Not sure about anyone else but see this on the maps allows me to drift away & daydream a bit about years gone by & childhood memories of playing in the snow r hours & sledging etc..."

Bang on... as a child of the 80's I still to this date treasure those days, school being shut early lobbing snowballs and sledging...

My school never shut for snow, it only shut once, during a very cold winter due to safety concerns, the water pipes were frozen.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

My school never shut for snow, it only shut once, during a very cold winter due to safety concerns, the water pipes were frozen.

My school shut several times during 07-12 when I was at school, even if it was just a dusting! They never wanted to risk an accident happening, as a lot of people just wanted to throw snow and it was hard to control.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
47 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Never rely on weather apps especially for snow.. Very unreliable and change every few hours!

I wouldn't usually but it has shown sleet since Sunday until it changed this morning. Prior to that the only change had been a temperature fluctuation between 3c and 4c. We shall see but I think some of the model predictions (one I noted was 29cm somewhere in the south east) are outlandish.

Posted
Just now, Premier Neige said:

I wouldn't usually but it has shown sleet since Sunday until it changed this morning. Prior to that the only change had been a temperature fluctuation between 3c and 4c. We shall see but I think some of the model predictions (one I noted was 29cm somewhere in the south east) are outlandish.

I understand but I have 3 different weather apps on my phone and all say different for the same day. Even on the day, they won’t agree especially regarding sleet/snow chances. MetO do have me having a chance to see snow, BBC just have sleet for several hours. It’s all messy and it will be a nowcast situation regardless of what some model predictions are saying.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, Updated_Weather said:

My school shut several times during 07-12 when I was at school, even if it was just a dusting! They never wanted to risk an accident happening, as a lot of people just wanted to throw snow and it was hard to control.

Oh yes, my kids schools shut due to snow now, but it didn't happen in the eighties. Or not where I was. Doesn't matter anyway, off topic so oops.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh
1 hour ago, Paul_1978 said:

If it turns out like that, I’ll bare my a**e on the town hall steps!!

Pics backed with that days newspaper's.

Big thanks to the mods for allowing a lighter note into the model forum, 2020 the year we all need to bin from our memories. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
41 minutes ago, jules216 said:

These are scenes in my area this morning. We managed to squeeze -16.5C this morning near my location. Unfortunately there will be a thaw over the weekend. Long term prospects are looking promising. GFS long term version is indicating ice days again after mid month. So there must be continuity of this model to favor more European cooling as per GFS lala land charts  

Fingers crossed we finally get an interesting pre Christmas period. 

129261864_10158718055346212_3862813699224804235_n.jpg

gfs-zvolen-sk-485n-19e (1).png

And that’s without this  ‘deep cold’  to our east?  

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted

Something perhaps being a little overlooked is the degree of difference between these models at very short range. Within the first 72 hours, there are critical differences between the major models, and as I think @nick sussex noted, a humiliating climb down is coming in the next day or two for at least one of them. Insofar as a computer can be humiliated...

To illustrate, the GFS has a surface Greenland high from t24, with some height support, and in both respects that grows steadily through the entire run, right out to t384, where we have a full blown, mature GH. Meanwhile, both the ECM and the UKMO have very nearly eliminated any surface high from Greenland at just t72, and by t96, the surface high and any heights are gone, never to return. 

GFS:
413290472_GFSgreenieheights.thumb.jpg.5baa5b2398d165e6c4216da466de57eb.jpg

ECM:
2124854259_ECMgreenieheights.thumb.jpg.6555b23e8b20ac6f10325b520972ab4a.jpg

UKMO:
1621737754_UKMOgreenieheights.thumb.jpg.104a87297ce61f7ea9777fcaa9984793.jpg

The rest of these runs are heavily influenced by events in that area, so until that evolution is figured out, it is difficult to take anything beyond it seriously.

Edited by wellington boot
Fixed attachments
  • Like 7