Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
22 minutes ago, stewfox said:

What Artic are you referring to ? Looks pretty standard to me at present cf 1958-2020 average. Cant see the 'much warmer'

High Artic temps.png

Doesnr that show the arctic above average and has stayed above for some time now?

Posted

The way I see things over the next couple of weeks is,of course turning colder possibly much colder,looking at the charts I would say there is 60/70% chance of that happening! Currently honestly I don't see anything too wintry for a few reasons,but of course all that could change very quickly.I really hope that it does as the potential is quite big right now,have others mentioned a few adjustments could make big differences!

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

We dont want it perfect now as well end up too far east come T-0 where we are now with the evolution is perfect as we factor in historical shifts east nearer to time in thid set up 

Agreed  I would rather the evolution require tweeks   now  then perfect     my main point was  regardless of how beautiful the ecm looks   the reality  is that its a  rather disappointing outlook ( based on that run)   however it looks like the heights towards Greenland are locked in   many days left to see any upgrades   and I do expect  there to be   fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

I would kind of agree with you there scott,that's a possibly past day 10.but it's very difficult to tell anything could happen,though what doesn't look likely currently is a return to westerlies and Atlantic weather,but if we continue having to chase day 10 charts it can become very frustrating

Weve got encouraging charts at T-144 currently. Well see what happens. The greenie high has come about in the week i expected it to well see for the next stage 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
33 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Indeed, a lot imby posts. I live in arguably one of the worst places for a northerly but  nhp is quality. Here we are last in line for some fun but we are very patient and what follows could be fun. some places will see snow from this I’m sure and I look forward to seeing some myself but I enjoy going in the regionals and see adults excited as child posting pics of snow. Could move of course but I love the south coast too much

Yeah sorry, it was a little imby

In all seriousness though, we've been in far worse situations than this and with a little patience i think anywhere could get lucky. The 850's don't make as much of a difference in a set up like this, will be colder on the ground than some think. 

Posted

With all due respect to this concept that we need to be XXX miles west at + 168 hours because it will 'always' shift east when we head towards T-0, bearing in mind these 'super' computers must cost more than ill ever earn to make and run, dont you think the software experts would factor this in it it were true? ..Just a thought..?

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Weve got encouraging charts at T-144 currently. Well see what happens. The greenie high has come about in the week i expected it to well see for the next stage 

Agreed we do get the amplification,it's just crucial as to where that trough from the northwest tracks

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

I know its not the met office forecast thread but what I am going to say is MODEL related because the met office extended outlooks have changed due to what the various  MODELS  changing and presumably what their own MODELS are suggesting.

So a week and half ago it was likely turning milder  in the first week of january,  earlier this week that then became likely to turn milder mid January now it remaining generally  cold with possible  ( not definite) short lived milder incursions.  

L

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Just based on current outputs and this is by no means a forecast, thicknesses are conducive for low level snow, and the slacker airstream will probably help as well. As I said dewpoints are the crucial factor and we can't say for any certain what these would be until the very very very near timescale.

Nice to see someone else thinking the same. I agree. Get dew points on the right side of marginal and anything minus 4 and below uppers and well see snow lying at low levels

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Mean at T240 wasn’t quite what I expected:

368A078B-2399-4E99-B2D7-B38F7CFB6BCE.thumb.png.53e4bddab64ff1db8683e2322af360c0.png

The trough looks better placed from UK through Southern Europe.  

Just add in the spread, still doesn’t know quite what to do southern tip of Greenland:

06CA042E-FA97-4DBA-A5B6-FB7B9F1B53B0.thumb.png.b98006cc8f3e4f7fbfe3962abc54e399.png

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ultima Thule said:

That graph is awful if you like cold.  Almost never below average, and it's only the ice melt in the summer that is helping suppress positive anomalies at that time.  

Wake up!

Well yeah the Arctic is warmer than average especially in autumn as the sea releases heat back into the atmosphere but the cold upper air temperatures are there. I think the problem with this set up is not down to the lack of cold air in the Arctic, its more down to the origin of the trigger low as another poster pointed out earlier in the day. 

The low is very large also, would of been better if it was more smaller and the other problem any ridge is at the wrong angle hence not getting the full northerly flow but that said, details will change for better or worse but as per the start of the month, it would be a wasted opportunity if the low just ends up over us and more modest uppers as a result. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Nice ECM mean, improvement on the 0z

3681CC07-FA73-415A-B14D-0A793C497976.gif

B661FEF3-42F6-4D67-917E-ADAE49C9F1F7.gif

Mean  is great   looks like many are bringing the low further east   with lowering uppers as a result  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
15 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its mot just one ecm run though is it? Its the past 9 gfs runs and the fact gfs knows how to model this pattern. Those who have seen it all time and again were waiting for the ecm to junp on board like it did 2018 and 2010 and -5uppers with l9w heights a slack flow and sub minus dew points will produce snow somewhere. We just dont know where yet but it will not be all rain. Its frustrating saying the same thing over and over hahaha its like people psychologically are trying to find the first negative so they dont build hopes up! Hahaha! 

Where is the background forcing for sustained blocking? Where is the EPS support? It's going to turn chilly, yes. But those expecting a huge Greenland block are going to be rather disappointed. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

368A078B-2399-4E99-B2D7-B38F7CFB6BCE.thumb.png.53e4bddab64ff1db8683e2322af360c0.png

Not such a bad mean there mike,but the lack of cold to mix in with is concerning in my opinion.did you think this is a good mean then?

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Serious upgrade on that!!that middle ground solution gona look really juicy in the morning!!!cant wait!!

• Like 3

The sounding profile, i.e. freezing level, warm layers, are crucial. And hi res output which nowadays models evaporative cooling well.. HIRLAM for example was very good with the 4th Dec event.

I have personally made an initial assessment on Xmas eve snow line, risk etc.

In terms of todays output, yes it's good but not incredible. Trough precip would potentially be somewhat marginal in places, even with the lower heights. However, there is time for the output to change it's upstream handling and therefore cool down the uppers. I think uppers usually decrease within 100h due to higher resolution. I would also like to see a weaker low as this would allow better meeting of the air masses, i.e. the cold air into the precip zone helping to produce snow... The air mass meeting discussed in smaller lows also helps trough formation. I fear on the ecm the low is too large for this to be particularly effective...

So. The broad scale evolution is full of potential. That potential will be better realised under a few tweaks. Further east for reasons already discussed and as above. All I want for Christmas is a weaker low on a more easterly trajectory! 

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Agreed  I would rather the evolution require tweeks   now  then perfect     my main point was  regardless of how beautiful the ecm looks   the reality  is that its a  rather disappointing outlook ( based on that run)   however it looks like the heights towards Greenland are locked in   many days left to see any upgrades   and I do expect  there to be   fingers crossed 

Yeah I get you mate. My point was its an excellent run when you factor in eastward shifts nearer to time 

• Thanks 1