Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Xmas eve snow potential. Overall quite poor.

6 am to 8am. Relatively stable inversion present below ~700ft. This would allow wintry conditions to 50-100m early on across SE Scotland & Northumberland. Precip rates of 2-3mm/ hour locally producing a good dusting down to 20-80m. As the convective flow pushes southwards early morning the surface inversion erodes due to maritime influences.

See the retreat of the freezing line in the pics attached between 7 and 3pm. 

Between 12pm and 4.30pm showery precipitation will be gathering in the east. The surface flow is NNE but the 650hpa flow is due NE in the trough. This will fall as sleet and wet snow down to 0-50m with the settling snow line likely elevated to 200-250m. Therefore significant accumulations on the southern side of North York Moors ~7cm. A localized 0.5cm for around 10% of an area encompassing the east coast & ~25 miles inland though showers could reach the East Midlands due to the trough visualised nicely via the 850thetaE values. This producing localized heavy precip and therefore the risk of localized low level accumulation (1-2cm) during this time.

The base settling snow line will steadily fall not far from 100m after about 5pm. More % of the precip will be snow. Dew point 0c line roughly 5 miles inland & at 100m asl. This should produce isolated coverings of 0.5-2cm over 110m in Lincolnshire. Subsequently below ~ 100m altidude settling snow will be partially limited to rates >3mm/hour, nontheless dustings up to 1cm are possible from inland Norfolk, boundaries of the wash and central Lincolnshire.

Also note the possibility of flakes inland East Anglia later as the trough dives SE.

One thing to note is that the precip is too mostly light to erode the maritime warm layer. Therefore I fully expect coastal parts to stay the wrong side of marginal throughout.

iconeu_uk1-37-48-0.png

20201222_145914.png

iconeu_uk1-5-56-0.png

iconeu_uk1-42-59-0.png

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snow White said:

You must be looking at something different to me. I have been on here since 2004 and I could name 5 spells just since then that this WILL not compare to. Feb/Mar 05, Dec/Jan 10, Dec 10,  Jan 13, Mar 13 and Feb/Mar 18. 
There is potential for snow on higher ground but it’s not cold enough for disruptive low level snow.

I would love to be wrong but just don’t see it IMO.

Im talking avout the length of time of below average temperatures. Dont just look at next week look at what could potentiaply follow. 

No way mild air gets in before the middle of january at least. Backed up by the met who have forecast below average temperatures up until at least the middle of the month. The next round if amplification looks like being colder than next week and snow is looking increasingly to lower levels next week. I may be wrong and ive put my head on the line and if i am ill hold my hands up!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
8 minutes ago, Snow White said:

You must be looking at something different to me. I have been on here since 2004 and I could name 5 spells just since then that this WILL not compare to. Feb/Mar 05, Dec/Jan 10, Dec 10,  Jan 13, Mar 13 and Feb/Mar 18. 
There is potential for snow on higher ground but it’s not cold enough for disruptive low level snow.

I would love to be wrong but just don’t see it IMO.

Agreed. This isn't anywhere close to comparable to any of the cold spells you've listed, let alone to winters of past  A nice period of below average temperatures is on the cards & certainly a damn site better than anything we saw last winter, but to call this historic is taking it a bit too far lmao. December 2010 was 'historic".

High-res models will be the one to watch in the coming days, the latest UKV is already picking up potential for a small disturbance in the flow for Xmas eve! 

1.thumb.png.69d7fee47e496472e887205f1f3f2a50.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

No way mild air gets in before the middle of january at least.

I agree with you Scott, obviously we have all got different opinions, but I have a feeling we could well be looking at a historic winter setting in. The potential when you look at everything on the horizon that could unfold has certainly got my attention!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Im talking avout the length of time of below average temperatures. Dont just look at next week look at what could potentiaply follow. 

No way mild air gets in before the middle of january at least. Backed up by the met who have forecast below average temperatures up until at least the middle of the month. The next round if amplification looks like being colder than next week and snow is looking increasingly to lower levels next week. I may be wrong and ive put my head on the line and if i am ill hold my hands up!

It will be very interesting to see if your call of a griceland high comes to fruition in the first week of jan, the 06z was close.

Will be watching the 12z GFS at 216 hours intently to see if we can get the potential Greenland high to shift south east by a few hundred miles.

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Agreed. This isn't anywhere close to comparable to any of the cold spells you've listed, let alone to winters of past  A nice period of below average temperatures is on the cards & certainly a damn site better than anything we saw last winter, but to call this historic is taking it a bit too far lmao. December 2010 was 'historic".

High-res models will be the one to watch in the coming days, the latest UKV is already picking up potential for a small disturbance in the flow for Xmas eve! 

1.thumb.png.69d7fee47e496472e887205f1f3f2a50.png

Your basing it on only next week. This will last longer than next week with a ssw to come after. As mushyman said there is no end in sight to cold. Why not wait to see what happens?

Edited by Blessed Weather
Tweek
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Rapodo said:

I agree with you Scott, obviously we have all got different opinions, but I have a feeling we could well be looking at a historic winter setting in. The potential when you look at everything on the horizon that could unfold has certainly got my attention!

Agreed. Im taking a back seat and watching it unfold. If im wrong ill admit im wrong

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Just before the 12z rolls out, a quick mention about the earlier ECM 0z ensemble mean which gradually trends colder again after Christmas as well as becoming very unsettled, something of a weather bomb swinging down from the NW!...the bottom line is, compared to recent Xmas periods, when I was already in despair with how abysmally the winters were unfolding..this time I’m filled to overflowing with hope regarding the chances of snow during the coming weeks!

8423D022-575F-4417-BF5F-5E437FD45D4F.thumb.gif.6b0fb9be0f108d9c05cbb2d3a5ac2c7b.gif42A20225-83E6-4517-887A-198ED7783BDA.thumb.gif.1bcaedf0aa5d5124b53bf4be6cccf28a.gif7507B035-A910-4718-951F-E24C68AEF599.thumb.gif.c40e32acc0791255bb733020b8114b93.gif8BC498D1-AB9F-4DE2-9B5D-A16461BE7A2F.thumb.gif.b6794372355fb6a91b2025769d571ea8.gif74E045D9-9671-4683-8928-9395ED7D2686.thumb.gif.fdbf1658358cda56e82f5f8bae7ce3e8.gif

ps...I’m glad I’m not popular and don’t get any personal messages and emails...I prefer the quiet life!:reindeer-emoji:

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

It will be very interesting to see if your call of a griceland high comes to fruition in the first week on jan, the 06z was close.

Will be watching the 12z GFS at 216 hours intently to see if we can get the potential Greenland high to shift south east by a few hundred miles.

Im watching very interested

Posted
9 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Xmas eve snow potential. Overall quite poor.

6 am to 8am. Relatively stable inversion present below ~700ft. This would allow wintry conditions to 50-100m early on across SE Scotland & Northumberland. Precip rates of 2-3mm/ hour locally producing a dusting down to 150m. As the convective flow pushes southwards early morning the surface inversion erodes due to maritime influences.

See the retreat of the freezing line in the pics attached between 7 and 3pm. 

Between 12pm and 4.30pm showery precipitation will be gathering in the east. The surface flow is NNE but the 650hpa flow is due NE in the trough. This will fall as sleet and wet snow down to 0-50m with the settling snow line likely elevated to 200-250m. Therefore significant accumulations on the southern side of North York Moors ~7cm. A localized 0.5cm for around 10% of an area encompassing the east coast & ~25 miles inland though showers could reach the East Midlands due to the trough visualised nicely via the 850thetaE values.

The base settling snow line will steadily fall not far from 100m after 8pm. This may produce isolated coverings of 0.5-2cm over 100m in Lincolnshire. Below this altidude very locized dustings up to 1cm are possible from inland Norfolk, boundaries of the wash and central Lincolnshire >5miles inland. This really requiring heavy precip.

iconeu_uk1-37-48-0.png

20201222_145914.png

iconeu_uk1-5-56-0.png

iconeu_uk1-42-59-0.png

Great post Kasim, thanks for taking the time, hopefully you can do more like this over the next week or so!  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Over to the 12z.. which today/tomorrow are imo the all outs regarding how we progress into January.!!   Handbags .. toys.. prams..at the ready

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Your basing it on only next week. This will last longer than next week with a ssw to come after. As mushyman said there is no end in sight to cold. Why not wait to see what happens?

Agreed.  How can a comparison be made when the cold spell hasn’t even started yet!?‍♀️

Tweek to quote box
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Agreed. Im taking a back seat and watching it unfold. If im wrong ill admit im wrong

If you’re wrong.... it’s Rotherham high st pt 2.... cartwheels! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Massive move west at just 96 hours on icon and much more amplified eastern states/western greenland!crazy move so early on!

Yep  noticed that    so much uncertainty still  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

14 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Agree Scott ....totally understand we all have our opinions on the model output ...but to say this upcoming cold spell wont be comparible to those dates is some what premature perhaps...excluding Dec 10. If you are convinced its not going to be back it up with some data/charts and explain why it wont be at least. Its confusing for newbies otherwise. Thanks

Tweek to quote box
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Massive move west at just 96 hours on icon and much more amplified eastern states/western greenland!crazy move so early on!

Is this the low pressure? Not good news if so as less cold air would be in place?

Posted

Lets hope the 12z follows in terms of amplification and not the move west!!dont mind low being over the uk as long as it slack with low thicknesses otherwise i want it further east!!

Posted
15 minutes ago, Valleyboy said:

Agreed.  How can a comparison be made when the cold spell hasn’t even started yet!?‍♀️

Exactly!

Minor change made.