Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

It’s been fairly benign at the valley floor level, strongish winds pushing mild light rain.  Temps very warm.  Now very still, birds singing. Earlier on, Up on the tops walking the Dog Norman, a slightly different story.  Heavy rain, colder and winds so strong I was walking at a standstill against the head on miserable rainy wind.Norman was fine, being a small dog  he happily dawdled along, probably laughing his socks off at how wet the human was.  Hope that’s all there is to Dudley.  Just to be on safe side have put the cold frame  into sheltered log shed. Storm Arwen it ended up rammed against bottom hedge.  Hope Friday is just as benign, though doubt it.

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Batten down the hatches and enjoy the calm before the storm tomorrow. Stay safe everyone, expecting red warnings to be issued by lunchtime tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well Met forecast currently says 72mph gusts in Barry, XC Weather 77mph and Net Weather 82mph so I'd say with an increasing amount of confidence the area will get between 70-80mph for a few hours Friday morning. Hopefully there won't be any 'upgrades' so to speak tomorrow as I'd like to keep the roof on the house and my newly planted trees from last summer in the ground. I do love a good wind storm but when you to the 70-80+mph range, it does get a little unnerving. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Been a very wet and windy day here with gusts into the 50's mph for most of the day. 

If things stay on track for Friday...I would expect some red weather warnings for Friday and widespread school closures/disruption 

• Like 1

Posted

I live on the sea front in Swansea and tbh I normally love storms, but Friday has me seriously nervous.  Looks like the actually storm won't last long but the damage it will do will be lasting and very possibly life threating.  Stay safe everyone.

Edited by WelshWanderer

Posted

Gusts of 81mph recorded in my local weather station, lights have been flickering, letter box blowing in but yet garden furniture still in situ, need to pin down the trampoline tomorrow.

In this neck of the woods the direction of the wind seems to be a major factor, so many trees were uprooted by storm arwen because the direction of the wind was different to normal - so I’m told by snowdonia park workers and tree surgeons.

I’m enjoying the prospect of a major weather event by all means but have no clue what it actually means for us in North Wales, is this event being made a fuss of because it’s unusual for SW England?

I was born in 1990 so have not experienced many extreme weather events but was very lucky to experience thunder snow in 2018, one of the most amazing experiences. 

Posted

Regarding the red warning which will probably be issued later today, I'd guess that the entire coast south from Cardigan Bay to the English border at Chepstow will be covered; whether the warning extends inland to cover more areas (ie, the Valleys and other parts of south/southwest Wales) is less certain. Also interesting to see will be how widespread the red warning is across southern Britain; red warnings usually only cover fairly localised areas, but the unusually widespread damaging winds on the horizon throw this up in the air (pun not intended).

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
12 hours ago, Dil17 said:

Where abouts in Glyn Ceiriog do you live Snefnug? The missus's auntie/uncle live high up on a farm in the Glyn Ceiriog area 

W are on Llanarmon road in Glyn Ceiriog, the dog I walk is up on top road, Tan Y Foel, between the roads to Llangollen and Glyn

Posted
20 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Another upgrade rain snow as front clears even in SWales.

Screenshot_20220216-104802_Chrome.jpg

Still heavy wintry showers Friday afternoon as colder air pushes south.lets see if Mumbles Head can record 100mph gust of windScreenshot_20220216-104802_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e8266f9c4b62dae75f574611a5f8096f.jpg tomorrow morning. 

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

The WeatherProHD app this morning is now showing sustained wind speeds of 46mph and maximum gusts of 70mph for Aberporth tomorrow morning (yesterday:  55mph sustained, 89mph gusts), so a definite reduction in severity for this part of the Ceredigion coast overnight.  These are not uncommon statistics for Aberporth and although still stormy, not really to be considered exceptional.  I don’t know which model they base their predictions on, though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I will have to have a clean up in the garden and make sure the recycling goes in the shed for the night, otherwise the neighbours will have some free rubbish .

It seems like there may have been a slight reduction in winds for us but it may change back by tonight, hopefully not though as still looking at possible 80mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Bbc app goes for sustained gusts of wind above 80mph for 4 hours here I hope not

Posted

Red for South coast! 

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun
On 16/02/2022 at 11:01, DeepSnow said:

I expect western and Southern counties of Wales will go red sometime tomorrow, unless there is a downgrade in wind strength

Well called Sir  

Posted
15 minutes ago, Penfoel said:

Well called Sir  

Not looking good for us, thankfully im slightly sheltered by the houses to my south and west being slightly higher than be, exposed to a northerly wind though.

Just cleared the rubbish in my garden ready and fixed the gate, no doubt ill have to fix it again over the weekend lol. Just hope everyone stays safe. Rather be over cautious than unprepared.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

The red weather issued by the MetO is for the entire Severn Estuary coastline from Llanelli right round to the tip of Cornwall.  This includes Swansea, Port Talbot, Bridgend, Cardiff, Newport and Chepstow.  So they’re not talking it down……

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Weather roller-coaster said:

Looking very nasty now just saw the warning now out getting a bits don't fancy it tomorrow wonder if they will close schools cancel train travel 

Schools are closed 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Weather roller-coaster said:

Didn't know its half term next week for cardiff area going to be interesting wounder if there will be thunder inbeded with it 

Heavy showers to follow behind the front,especially heavy north Wales, miracles happen we could see thunder snow.

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

BBC News - Storm Eunice: Schools shut, all trains cancelled in Wales

_123289688_73296db2-f84c-48e3-9897-5e417
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Schools will close and trains cancelled on Friday after the red wind warning for Storm Eunice.

Hopefully if more places can do the same then the risk coould be significantly reduced during rush hour!

Posted

I wonder if Pembrokeshire will move to a red warning ? It’s looking like quite a nasty few hours of severe winds !!