Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

There’s always going to be conflict about how justified red warnings are. For me, it’s been wild, my office closed and I’m glad about that as I didn’t fancy driving 25 miles to Newport in this weather.  met office always damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Surely to have a warning that there *could* be a serious risk is better than no warning at all, the winds were wild here earlier and plenty of damage and trees down, including one outside one of my offices which would’ve had quite a few people milling around outside if it hadn’t been closed, not sure what people want really,Weather warnings are about risk to life and property not how blowy it gets in my own back yard x glad it’s over tbh, IMO worst weather to have x

Edited by Bafan
Typo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I’ve been reading some posts from the other regions, especially the south east, and I reckon I dodged a bullet yesterday, despite having a bit of damage to the garage roof.  It was wild for a time but no trees down that I can see, no other damage to the house, and no power cut!   So I’m grateful that the storm seems to have passed more to the south and left me relatively unscathed.  My sympathies to anyone else who had a worse experience and hope you get back to normal as soon as possible.  I’ve got a feeling that there’s going to be another storm around the end of the month looking at the long range charts, so I’ll keep watching….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

In review.   Eunice up here mostly rain/sleet/hail.  Strong winds and some tree debris, but not anywhere near same scale as Arwen.  Thankful that there was no major damage.  Current issues - flooding and, looking at radar this morning, a lot more rain.

cat has calmed down at last.

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

The Dog Norman.

B39BE01D-0110-42F5-B496-EFDB496BE308.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

There are a lot of examples of damage caused by a Eunice. This one stands out for me. A school in the Cynon valley. I’d imagine they’d have been in school in a yellow.

68AD4179-1F93-422E-9B80-90AB328C562F.jpeg

Posted

Heavy wet snow now.

Ooh err, heavy snow settling.

AC4AC500-5A45-4B16-9467-5A184E9C16C2.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Heavy rain and gales are back gusting to 45mph...alot of properties in gower still without power

Posted

Why do we have a yellow wind warning for today (45mph gusts) and not tomorrow (60mph gusts)?

Just now, CLH said:

Why do we have a yellow wind warning for today (45mph gusts) and not tomorrow (60mph gusts)?

LOL, as I posted that my phone flashed up with a yellow warning.

Posted

Was absolutely hammering it down here earlier in a gusty westerly but now the rain has stopped and it’s just very windy again.  Not been able to fix the garage roof yet but I’ll get the ladders out and have a look shortly, while it’s not raining.   Could have been worse and I’m still thankful to have avoided real problems.  Went up to the shop (3.5miles) earlier and discovered that one of the local lanes is totally blocked by a fall of several old pine trees which must have been caught by one of the strongest gusts.  Shame to see all those old trees down but apart from that I couldn’t see any other major issues locally.  We are lucky that the trees didn’t have their leaves on or it might have been a very different story.

• Like 1

Posted

Gosh, woken by combined sounds of rushing river and rushing wind.  A bit Groundhog Day-ish.  Forecast sustained wind speeds and gusts not too far below those forecast for Eunice in Amber for Friday.  Cat excited again…..

• Like 2

Posted

Got the garage roof fixed yesterday in quite windy conditions - was quite hairy up the ladder but glad I did it because I couldn’t attempt it today!   Now we are back in strong gales which are not far off being worthy of another name…..  Leaving everything tied down for the time being.

• Like 1

Posted

Screenshot_20220220-103839_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7c2d5709265f0c05d4738efd22d989b0.jpgScreenshot_20220220-103724_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7fa33d63f24c258335802295bbd15faf.jpg

On 19/02/2022 at 09:24, snefnug said:

Heavy wet snow now.

Ooh err, heavy snow settling.

AC4AC500-5A45-4B16-9467-5A184E9C16C2.jpeg

image.jpg

Very unsettled weather for the next 5 days.With short Polar Maritime bursts. Monday Thursday brief wintry potential.

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

Another named storm….  Franklin.

atlantic-storm.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Storm Franklin has been named as the low-pressure system is expected to bring high winds during Sunday night and into Monday morning for much of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted

I’ll get me coat….

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow sun thunderstorms frost

Afternoon everyone gone very gusty here again watching the possibility squall line for later hope there's no damage from weakened tress buildings stay safe every one

Posted

Just watched beeb weather forecast, so this thing blowing a gale and rain outside isn’t Franklin, he coming later tonight?

Posted
31 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Just watched beeb weather forecast, so this thing blowing a gale and rain outside isn’t Franklin, he coming later tonight?

Overnight tommorow morning squall line over central Ireland atm.The problems of fallen trees has been made a lot worse by dead Ash trees .There's lots of trees waiting to fall.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, snefnug said:

I’ll get me coat….

I’ve been listening to George and Aretha singing “I knew you were waiting” ever since Robobunny and Queen Bee sung their duet last weekend.   And if you understand any of that last sentence you’re just as sad as I am……

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather roller-coaster said:

Afternoon everyone gone very gusty here again watching the possibility squall line for later hope there's no damage from weakened tress buildings stay safe every one

Yes….looks like I can expect the squall around 3:25pm looking at the radar - I hope my newly refixed garage roof tiles stay fixed ‘cos I don’t want to have to get up there again….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow sun thunderstorms frost

Looking quite nasty hope your garage holds the rivers are rising live not far from the taff in Llandaff normally go walking up the taff trail staying safe inside

• Like 2

Posted

Well one half of my fence snapped on Friday, stabilised that yesterday.

Other half hanging on a prayer

Full garden fence coming up or should i say down.

Thats  6 posts and 175 feather edge boards plus bargeboard coming up cant wait.

Will also have numerous comments of dont step on the plants from she who will be my site advisor

And you thought it was rough fixing your roof 

Edited by Loadsa2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The squall line appears to passing through here now - greater intensity to the wind and heavier rain but so far it looks as though it won’t be any worse that the worst that Eunice threw at us.   I think that this storm is just as severe as Eunice in my immediate location if only in respect of the strength of the sustained wind speed but the gusts are not as violent.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

Well one half of my fence snapped on Friday, stabilised that yesterday.

Other half hanging on a prayer

Full garden fence coming up or should i say down.

Thats  6 posts and 175 feather edge boards plus bargeboard coming up cant wait.

Will also have numerous comments of dont step on the plants from she who will be my site advisor

And you thought it was rough fixing your roof 

You might have to wait until the end of March before you tackle that, mate!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Yeah winds here in Cardiff very similar to Eunice

• Like 2