Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
On 24/02/2022 at 13:07, CLH said:

Well, I was worried that this winter would pass without seeing a single flake. I confirm I have seen a few seconds of them. 

Not a flake seen in the Vale of Glamorgan this winter. Hail showers on Friday was the closest we got. What are the odds on a cold spring? I miss well-defined seasons. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Confusion in my brain now we have moved to community group, on which thread to post in, so I’ll post here and mods feel free to move elsewhere.

I am rather hoping we can move on, weather wise from chasing snow now, not because it won’t snow, but because snow and cold means higher fuel and electricity bills.  Two shocks today. I’m down to two bars on my oil reader, so 200 litres left, which is normally refill time, except that most of the local oil providers haven’t got any stocks.  So to eek it out   it’s down to one bath a week each (we don't have a shower) otherwise good old flannel washes and heating times dialled back to 1.5 hours morning and likewise evening and log burner on when we are in.  Log burner only really heats lounge, so work from home is now either work from home office in woolly hat and therms or work from lounge with less therms and boy does this old slate house get cold!  Once sun comes out and heats solar panels and windows then it won’t be so bad.  Likewise leccy.  No sun, no solar, minimum lights on in evening and slow cooker meals.  With solar we can prep more.  Still waiting on installation of solar battery,  but guess what, solar battery made in China and installers waiting on shipment….

Shock 2.  Trying to sort out my brothers electric bill.  He lives on his own, doesn’t use the electric radiators, works outdoors all day, heats part of house with wood burner and his leccy bill is averaging £120 a month.  Only thing on All day is fridge freezer, under sink water heater, radio to keep dog company.  Realistically £120 month is about £4.00 a day which isnt horrendous but still….

akshully, will copy this and open new thread.

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
On 07/03/2022 at 19:03, snefnug said:

Confusion in my brain now we have moved to community group, on which thread to post in, so I’ll post here and mods feel free to move elsewhere.

I am rather hoping we can move on, weather wise from chasing snow now, not because it won’t snow, but because snow and cold means higher fuel and electricity bills.  Two shocks today. I’m down to two bars on my oil reader, so 200 litres left, which is normally refill time, except that most of the local oil providers haven’t got any stocks.  So to eek it out   it’s down to one bath a week each (we don't have a shower) otherwise good old flannel washes and heating times dialled back to 1.5 hours morning and likewise evening and log burner on when we are in.  Log burner only really heats lounge, so work from home is now either work from home office in woolly hat and therms or work from lounge with less therms and boy does this old slate house get cold!  Once sun comes out and heats solar panels and windows then it won’t be so bad.  Likewise leccy.  No sun, no solar, minimum lights on in evening and slow cooker meals.  With solar we can prep more.  Still waiting on installation of solar battery,  but guess what, solar battery made in China and installers waiting on shipment….

Shock 2.  Trying to sort out my brothers electric bill.  He lives on his own, doesn’t use the electric radiators, works outdoors all day, heats part of house with wood burner and his leccy bill is averaging £120 a month.  Only thing on All day is fridge freezer, under sink water heater, radio to keep dog company.  Realistically £120 month is about £4.00 a day which isnt horrendous but still….

akshully, will copy this and open new thread.

Will post a reply in the new thread……!

Posted

Looks like are in for a lively weekend with stormy conditions in South Wales on Saturday and western extremities having strong gales on Sunday.  MetOffice have weather warnings out for strong winds on Saturday and Sunday but only affecting the south coast and parts of Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Llyn Peninsula and Anglesey.   Hopefully the weather will turn more settled for a time next week but currently there are differences between the models - some showing high pressure becoming influential but others showing the return of low pressure.  March remains changeable for the time being.

• Like 1

Posted

Single figures daytime temperatures forecast for this location for the next seven days, it seems, with the possibility of ground frost on a couple of nights.  Come on, Spring, get your act together and waft some warm sunshine this way, please….

Posted

Some sort of intense line of rain and wind moving across just now which is really torrential.  Rain and wind hitting the windows and roof with a constant roar and I’d be surprised if I haven’t had a few leaks in the loft.  I’m not going to take a look tonight.  The radar says the rain should pass over shortly but I really hate this combination of relentless rain and wind - it’s the worst kind of weather for me.   There are bound to be a few minor roads awash tonight in this area.

• Like 1

Posted

I’ve not kept up with the weather past week so wasn’t expecting this wind, it’s pretty bad here

Posted

The heavy rain and wind last night have eased although we still have strong gusts at the moment.  It should gradually ease up today and tomorrow looks brighter and drier.  I’m really hoping we will see a warmer, calmer and sunnier spell of weather towards the end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Morning folks. After a lovely if chilly day yesterday, quite a frost this morning.  

The change in light far more noticeable now.  Dawn chorus kicks off about 5:30, at predawn and lighter evenings. Roll on Spring.    

is it time for a brand new weather thread?

• Like 1

Posted

Just a couple of dry days here in the Brecon Beacons, and the commoners are out clearing the dry old plants to make way for new growth for the sheep to enjoy later in the year. The National Park authorities don't like it much, but they have no control over the common land. 

90A60F82-CCCA-442C-94CA-5B4D1DA79695.jpeg

Posted

Absolutely glorious day here yesterday.  Wall to wall sunshine, balmy and warm albeit that the wind was brisk and a tad cool.  Max temp 15c.  This morning another blue sky day but cold start, 2c at 6:30am and likely to be around 10-11 max.  Next week looks fab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not as stunning a morning today.  Ice on the water buckets, v v cold outside so booted out cat who wanted to sit on mat with door open thinking about it.  Much colder day forecast with sunny spells  when the cloud dissipates.  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Not as stunning a morning today.  Ice on the water buckets, v v cold outside so booted out cat who wanted to sit on mat with door open thinking about it.  Much colder day forecast with sunny spells  when the cloud dissipates.  

…..and the wind has dropped!  Yay!

• Like 1

Posted

A lovely start to the day as forecast.  Sunny, cloudless skies and a light breeze only.  A proper Spring day, with maybe four or five more to follow!   I’m not counting my chickens yet, though, because there’s some hint of a colder spell in early April and we have known snow in April, haven’t we?   I don’t want the warm weather to bring on all the tender plants and then the frost to knock them back again…..  We’ll have to keep an eye on it.

Posted

Looking to be another belter of a day.  Fingers twitching to plant out veg seeds but Mod thread hinting at return to cold into next week.  Hope not, as this is saving fortune on heating bills.  Lucky to get 500litres yesterday all in  price of £500.00 so doubled in price. ☹️

• Like 1

Posted
On 03/03/2022 at 22:29, andymusic said:

looks interesting

image.thumb.png.97c8e291a653d0aef23d8a0e4640f19e.png

Yes a fair amount of wet snow around Thursday  

Screenshot_20220326-194926_Chrome.jpg

Posted
On 27/03/2022 at 08:16, keithlucky said:

Yes a fair amount of wet snow around Thursday  

Screenshot_20220326-194926_Chrome.jpg

Still plenty of precipation showing around Wales.

Screenshot_20220329-174628_Chrome.jpg

Posted

Cold sleety rain down in the valley.  Proper cold snow falling up on the tops, when I went to feed The Dog Norman just now.

• Like 2

Posted

Very very light dusting of snow this morning.

Posted

Pics of top road this morning. 

Light snow showers and cutting wind on tops walking The Dog Norman, most of lying snow from this morning gone now.

82FB9045-F8E5-42DC-A2E1-ADCB76180D2A.jpeg

5D971B64-384D-4106-9532-7B933EB38271.jpeg

6E344E28-5237-4863-AE49-13DD58B6AF92.jpeg

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 2