Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Much more pleasant here today, sunny spells, temperature in the late teens.

Tomorrow the met office has issued a yellow warning for Thunderstorms in the south of the country

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1550051646226530304?t=SRl8iPoiUxowQlZf4Ov4Ng&s=19

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

20220721_122748.thumb.jpg.391e59b7dfc901c1a3780516343a5529.jpg

This is more like it. 20C ...53% humidity and a light breeze from the north west. Perfect 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Lovely lovely lovely lovely rain!  I know the slugs will be out and baby lettuce might get munched but what a beautiful sight and sound of falling rain.  Not often you hear me say that….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Lucky you - hope to get some of the wet stuff tomorrow, MetO output for my area seems to think so although even those big guys with all their equipment don't always get it right in summer. Touch wood (or tree)!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Frabjous  joy at rain now slightly tempered by newly sprung leak in bathroom and the fact that my rain-perked up chard and lettuce is now fresh buffet for equally perky slugs……. Mixed abundance as the saying goes.

@Wetterfrosch, I’m hoping, so hard, that it does come your way, away from mine. 😉

wowsers, what a fab place you live in!

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Well, just as I feared - any rain fragmenting with just patches of light rain left. Has been damping here on and off through the morning, just about managing to wet the drive. Still keeping hope out for some more meaningful wetness tonight though. Apart from the garden I'm concerned that the abundance of blackberries out there might shrivel and I might not get the 20lb or so I need, half for my wife for jamming and the rest for me to turn into wine.

@snefnug Living in an elderly house I have had my own share of leaks which is what has me on edge each autumn/winter when the big tap in the skies turns on and keeps running for several months and the wind god howls down from the mountains and sends the rains horizontal. Anyway, your part of Wales is no less beautiful, if different, but I have been only driving through it once. Enjoy the harvest the slugs leave you!!

Posted

Big relief here this morning. Prolonged if mostly light rain produced 22.9 mm in my garden. - a good start. A little more this next couple of days will be very welcome before the next dry and warm spell arrives on Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Entering our 25th hour of (almost) continuous rain here.  Some heavy bursts especially last night but mainly continuous and persistent light rain which is very penetrating when you stand out in it!   It’s more than welcome, however, given the brown state of most of the fields and verges around here and of course the gardens will soak it up gratefully.   The forecast is for another dry week ahead so this period of rain will keep the ground damp and help the countryside to remain green - and fire resistant!   No complaints from me,

Posted

That band of rain is continuous now over us.  Sitting here with windows wide open and listening to continuous downpour.  Reminds me of when we moved here August 1993 - weather very mild and wet.  We were enchanted at being able to throw open sash windows and see the green and hear the cooling rain.  

image.jpg

Edited by snefnug

Posted

Distinctly cool feel this morning, about 9C at moment, with forecast up to 20c under continuous cloud.  Will empty raised bed of potato plants and put out leeks.  Anyone else worried about lack of insects this year, even cabbage white butterflies?

Posted
2 hours ago, snefnug said:

Distinctly cool feel this morning, about 9C at moment, with forecast up to 20c under continuous cloud.  Will empty raised bed of potato plants and put out leeks.  Anyone else worried about lack of insects this year, even cabbage white butterflies?

Now that you’ve mentioned it, yes, I must say that the insect population seems to have dropped dramatically here too.  Our buddleias are out at last and would previously have been covered in butterflies and bees but yesterday I saw only one solitary bee on the biggest bush.  I have only seen one dragonfly pair this summer and so far even the wasps are mostly absent.   Hopefully I can put this down to the recent very unsettled weather which brought us continuous rain and high winds for a couple of days - maybe they’ll all reappear as soon as the sun comes out again which looks likely in the coming week.  In the meantime the swallows and martins must be having a hard time finding food…..?

Posted

Far less passerines this year, hardly any swallows and far fewer swifts and housemartins.

Posted

Weird weather last 2 days..

Thick high cloud cover yesterday..

And today seeing these new clouds this year more than ever...

New Cloud Type Discovered: 'Undulus Asperatus'

Extreme Weather, Meteorology, Photography June 6, 2009  Jay Michaels

(METEOROLOGYNEWS.com) In the first new cloud type to be officially designated in over 50 years, members of the Cloud Appreciation Society are pushing for official recognition of the undulating, ominous-appearing clouds.

6a0105371bb32c970b019103e44331970c-750wi

• Thanks 1

Posted

The Cloud with No Name
June 2, 2009

Question: I find this very interesting also. I am a aviation meteorologist. We have been observing clouds for decades now and I or any other meteorologist have no clue on what to classify these clouds. Are these clouds formed by the earth wobble or turbulent winds in the atmosphere?

image.thumb.png.b4ae7782830f93ec49335705a3abcf09.png

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Rolling out across vast skies, weathermen might have trouble finding words to describe this stunning cloud formation.

Whipped into fantastical shapes, these clouds hang over the darkening landscape like the harbingers of a mighty storm. But despite their stunning and frequent appearances, the formations have yet to be officially recognised with a name. They have been seen all over Britain in different forms - from Snowdonia to the Scottish Highlands - and in other parts of the world such as New Zealand, but usually break up without producing a storm.

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

The Cloud with No Name
June 2, 2009

Question: I find this very interesting also. I am a aviation meteorologist. We have been observing clouds for decades now and I or any other meteorologist have no clue on what to classify these clouds. Are these clouds formed by the earth wobble or turbulent winds in the atmosphere?

image.thumb.png.b4ae7782830f93ec49335705a3abcf09.png

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Rolling out across vast skies, weathermen might have trouble finding words to describe this stunning cloud formation.

Whipped into fantastical shapes, these clouds hang over the darkening landscape like the harbingers of a mighty storm. But despite their stunning and frequent appearances, the formations have yet to be officially recognised with a name. They have been seen all over Britain in different forms - from Snowdonia to the Scottish Highlands - and in other parts of the world such as New Zealand, but usually break up without producing a storm.

Wow.  Looks like science fiction scenery straight out of a Marvel comic book…..

• Thanks 1

Posted

Lovely mild, if cloudy evening.  Chilling with chilled Pinot Grigio on terrace, sounds of  local children splashing in Ceiriog river below garden, pigeons cooing, smells of lavender, rose, honeysuckle.  As Pa Larkin would say ‘Perfick’.  

T’will be a warm sleeping night and no doubt the mammoths will need early morning watering, but hey…..

Edited by snefnug

Posted

Hurrah, mammoth watering  is being done by Pluvius, which wasn’t forecast by Meto  for today strangely…..

Posted

Holy moly it’s humid out there and wet, very wet, slugs are out in force….. 

looks like an equally humid night, not much difference in daytime/nighttime temps 19 daytime, 17 early hours Sunday am.   

Posted

Quite remarkable rainfall statistics that the MetO has issued today. As for my own location, the tally came in at 83.5 mm in my garden, 63 mm in the last week alone. Having recorded rainfall since 2003, this amounts to 76 percent of the average over the past 19 years. The spread is quite staggering though, ranging from just 25 mm in 2005 and 2006 to 259 mm in 2010. The year's total to date yielded 598 mm which is 77 percent of normal rainfall. Makes me wonder if we will get a really soggy autumn to make up for it? For now, another wet night and day to come before drying up again and me heading out over the weekend to start picking gallons worth of blackberries  over the weekend.

Posted
3 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Quite remarkable rainfall statistics that the MetO has issued today. As for my own location, the tally came in at 83.5 mm in my garden, 63 mm in the last week alone. Having recorded rainfall since 2003, this amounts to 76 percent of the average over the past 19 years. The spread is quite staggering though, ranging from just 25 mm in 2005 and 2006 to 259 mm in 2010. The year's total to date yielded 598 mm which is 77 percent of normal rainfall. Makes me wonder if we will get a really soggy autumn to make up for it? For now, another wet night and day to come before drying up again and me heading out over the weekend to start picking gallons worth of blackberries  over the weekend.

Gosh, you must be at least a week/fortnight ahead of us re blackberries, even in bright sun they are still green and tight. Wild raspberries just coming into grazing window on the dog walks,  wild strawberries have been beautiful.

Raining again here….

Posted
2 hours ago, snefnug said:

Gosh, you must be at least a week/fortnight ahead of us re blackberries, even in bright sun they are still green and tight.

I must say most of the berries still need a little longer here as well but each day I find more patches with suitable 'candidates', hence my confidence to get going by the weekend following the next two days' rain and subsequent sunshine. Mind you, my location is a lot lower than yours with the valley floor at just 100 m ASL which will make a big difference. Won't even be the first one out as on this mornings dog walk i spotted two local families already employing their kids as fruit pickers.

Posted
17 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Wet indeed.  All night and again this morning.  I must say I find it difficult to believe the reports that Pembrokeshire is short of water.   What do they do with it all?  If the collectors and buckets in my garden are anything to go by we’re having no problem with the overall amount of rain.   I think the water company needs to plan for more collection and storage - and maybe fewer leaks…….  
Definitely got blackberries ripe for picking here, too!

Posted
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

I think the water company needs to plan for more collection and storage - and maybe fewer leaks…….  

Quite so!!! During the dry, hot summers of the early 2000's we decided to chop off the end of the bathroom pipe outside and collect grey water in a disused 5 gallon fermentation bin which fits nicely underneath. Since then it has done a lot of good to our fruit bushes, apple trees and ornamental shrubs and trees in pots. Storage solutions are indeed vital which also applies to solar energy.

• Like 1

Posted
On 02/08/2022 at 11:39, Wetterfrosch said:

Quite so!!! During the dry, hot summers of the early 2000's we decided to chop off the end of the bathroom pipe outside and collect grey water in a disused 5 gallon fermentation bin which fits nicely underneath. Since then it has done a lot of good to our fruit bushes, apple trees and ornamental shrubs and trees in pots. Storage solutions are indeed vital which also applies to solar energy.

Haven’t had to syphon out bath water, or use water butts for over a week now.  Today cloudy, cool, spit spots of rain but we had sufficient rain in the early hours so no foreseeable watering til tomorrow or even day after.

Posted

Well the good news is I won’t need to water garden AT ALL today as it is pouring down, the bad news is, my washing’s out.  Still every cloud and all that, it’s getting a lovely rinse.