Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
2 hours ago, wimblettben said:

Yeah, you're right about the no lightning bit.

Wales has probably been the worst place to be for thunder in the country so far in this last couple of day's.

Quite frankly it's been appalling and i've never known to have so much bad luck of not getting anything even when all the forecasts keep giving us good chances for day's on end.

North East Wales (Llangollen area)  had cracking thunder lightning event Monday night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
3 hours ago, snefnug said:

North East Wales (Llangollen area)  had cracking thunder lightning event Monday night.

Yes I know a few isolated spots may have had something but thats not saying much considering that most of the whole of Wales has been under decent levels of warnings for quite a number of day's now.

We have had years in the past here that had 30% or 50% risks like we have had in the last few day's and each day when those level of warnings were given most of the whole of Wales was effected by something at one point or another.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Met office has us down for cloudy.  It is pelting down with rumbles of thunder…..🤔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Continuing the very unsettled theme here which has defined the weather all week.  Frequent showers with bright breezy spells in between and when the showers arrive they are heavy, going on torrential.  Every night this week I’ve been woken up at some point by really heavy rain and the ground is now showing signs of saturation.   No actual thunderstorms though, just really heavy rain.  It hasn’t taken long to balance up the rainfall deficit from the summer months.

Posted

I have never actually witnessed a monsoon season in the countries which suffer from it, but the rain here is what I would imagine ‘monsoon season’ to be like at times. We are getting deluges of heavy rain every half an hour or so lasting ten to fifteen minutes and everything is now waterlogged.  The pond is filled to overflowing and the seasonal ‘stream’ which forms in the unmade road here (runoff from the surrounding fields) has reformed for the first time since the Spring.  Oh well, at least we needn’t worry about water shortages in the next few weeks…..   The centre of circulation of this slow-moving low pressure system appears to be off the south west coast of Pembrokeshire now and is slowly moving east, so by this afternoon I expect the wind direction to have changed to a north-westerly and the shower activity to have moved away to the east.  Maybe we can dry out a bit on Friday and Saturday!

Posted

Feeling very fresh at 10c this morning and some rain through the late night early morning.  Yesterday’s northerly winds broke out the woolly cap and cowl scarf for the dog walks.  Think it’s going to be another fine fungus autumn.  Noticed first flock of fieldfares and last remnants of swifts and house martins yesterday.  

Posted

Rather continuous little band of rain.  Pluvius has saved me job of watering today.  😀👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Some unstable mid-level, cumulus and small cumulonimbus clouds taken on the evening of last Thursday 8th September with a rainbow on the base of one of the clouds    . 

IMG_6059.thumb.JPG.5f8c53e2d2b58ca718316eee49080707.JPGIMG_6058.thumb.JPG.54225aa48a63f33ae5818bbc8434dc67.JPGIMG_6057.thumb.JPG.d34a7e7ffeaa47746753a035ed1b7b10.JPGIMG_6049.thumb.JPG.e1854d8e43b5bc20ebf12ddda7e29f7c.JPGIMG_6038.thumb.JPG.ea43c0a89f187ca81526c322bf333816.JPGIMG_6033.thumb.JPG.a5e29d4643d8dfdd9e33760506452bed.JPG

IMG_6071.JPG

IMG_6075.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

Posted

Coolish but not chilly 10c, with a red glow sunrise. Birds chittering away.  Life resumes.

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely cool 7c this morning.  I think time to change over to winter duvet.

central heating still off, living room log burner so far in evenings only.  Have hauled out the woolly jumpers.

Just seen @carinthian’s post re snow levels in his Austrian village.  wow, they must have super thick duvets there!

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 2

Posted

Well what a miserable day this has been! Windy, rainy, windy, heavy rainy, windy and a bit chill  - oh wait, Autumn as it should be 😉.  Layered up in the woolies and log burner just about to be ignited.

• Like 1

Posted

9c, continuing rain, so soggy doggy walks and  waterproofs today.  

Posted
14 hours ago, snefnug said:

Well what a miserable day this has been! Windy, rainy, windy, heavy rainy, windy and a bit chill  - oh wait, Autumn as it should be 😉.  Layered up in the woolies and log burner just about to be ignited.

Went to a funeral yesterday, sunny not a cloud in the sky. Jackets off

woke up this morning to grey and overcast

Posted

Stunning red/orange sunrise.  Another very wet and windy day to come, but less chilly in the wind one hopes.  Currently 8c.  Saw last of the swallows and swifts gathering on the wires yesterday when walking the Dog Norman.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

September going out like a lion! Managed to get my two labs out before the worst set in. Heavy rain and some very strong gusts now. Wouldn't be surprised if my runner bean contraption took a hit with all that weight still on it. On the plus side, the frontal rain should move through fairly swiftly by teatime with winds veering WSW and easing somewhat. With better conditions expected for the weekend I should be able to lift my potatoes at last, following a bumper crop of apples already home and dry.

Posted

Clear and fresh morning, 10c at 8:30am.  Clearing veg garden day today.  Yields so far, over abundance of pole beans, three red kuri squash from 4 plants - not overly impressed, but will try again next year.  Excellent crop of anya-ish potatoes which were self seeded.  Autumn raspberries still with plenty of fruit.  Goodly little crop of. Eater apples and a lot of cookers just dropping off the tree with a thump.  Three pears.  Currently still in and need taking out, beetroot.  The 1 courgette plant zephyr still cropping well.  Chard it’s usual generous self…..Ordering garlic today.  I love days like these.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

It's certainly been a soggy 24 hours, with 37 mm in my rain gauge this morning. Still compares pale to Capel Curig's 72 mm (to 7am). Imagine all that water gushing down the streams and ravines in Snowdonia - must be quite a spectacle. Luckily the wind wasn't too wild in the end and actually reflected the MO computer output very well which had downgraded the highest gusts for my area from 49/50 to 40/41 mph in the evening. Better looking afternoon ahead, so use the time for my weekly food shopping - Joy of Joys, ha,ha!

Posted

My weather station, irritatingly, recorded precisely 99.5 mm of rain from this system. The upper reaches of the Amman and Clydach (the Towy tributary one) were spectacular this morning.

Posted

Well all round pretty miserable day, apart from sunshiny rainbow end with rain from clear blue skies.  Have to say I put heating on for an hour this lunchtime to dry sodden coats  after four dog walks today, it was sheer bliss! And having had eye wateringly expensive oil delivered today,  have it on again for an hour now.  The house walls are not getting the suns heat as per summer, and the house is regaining that slightly cool, slightly damp feeling, in fact warmer out than in, so it’s on. 

Edited by snefnug

Posted

I personally much prefer a cold, frosty start to winter, with or without snow (what does that stuff look like again ? So long since I've seen any!) For the sake of our possible energy shortages I just hope that any cold spells won't be too prolonged this coming season.

• Like 1

Posted

Good grief this weather is delugional!   The statement ‘but we need the rain’ is mercifully absent in soggy conversation waiting for a break in the downpour in the sainsbury foyer…..

Posted

Went fishing yesterday down Cowbridge way left the house at 7am 6degrees. Turned up at the lake mist on the water 2degrees. it was bloody cold to start, quite pleasant when it started to warm up.

Posted

After the recent unsettled, windy, wet spell, it’s a really nice start to the day here.  Quiet, calm and nearly cloudless as the sun rises and I hope it will stay that way at least for today.  Have reluctantly started to use the heating again but trying to keep the thermostat at least a degree lower than usual.  It’s not too difficult to wear warmer clothes rather than have warmer radiators….  The price of oil will make the next tankful very expensive so I want it to last as long as possible!   Roof repairs in August and upgraded insulation should help through the coming winter but at the time it was the leaks which were the main concern - now it’s the price of oil!  Wish I could afford solar panels….

Posted

Natures beauty never ceases to amaze me….

D933EB3F-A3CB-4B44-AB00-9908B4F72B73.thumb.jpeg.bedb14ebc8b6d7883f91a0deb78ad684.jpeg

• Like 1