Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
2 hours ago, DeepSnow said:

Surprisingly it is only between 0.5C-1C warmer than my old one in the shade and 2 other stations near by me on Wunderground

Well, that is very respectable for a home AWS. My first cheapie one many years ago regularly overcooked by 3 - 4 C which would be a No,No today. Currently I'm only keeping track of min/max temp & humidity by means of a single and seemingly reasonable accurate sensor with no housing which i keep moving around to wherever the sun doesn't shine at the time and even put a plant pot over it to keep rain out. Must find a permanent place for it. My rainfall record comes courtesy of a £5 plastic rain gauge which compares fairly well with surrounding stations. With no electronics involved it never fails and and I'm proud to say that next April I will be completing my first 20 years of continuous monthly records. Almost continuous, to be precise, as my dogs in their younger, playful years managed to empty it out before i got there. The only reason I haven't got a new AWS yet is that I can't decide where to place it in the garden which gets more and more filled with veg beds and apple trees. Perhaps, i should play Father Christmas and surprise myself this Yule?!?😲

In the meantime, enjoy your new toy - will be interesting to see what gusts you will get when the next storm arrives at our shores.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!
3 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Well, that is very respectable for a home AWS. My first cheapie one many years ago regularly overcooked by 3 - 4 C which would be a No,No today. Currently I'm only keeping track of min/max temp & humidity by means of a single and seemingly reasonable accurate sensor with no housing which i keep moving around to wherever the sun doesn't shine at the time and even put a plant pot over it to keep rain out. Must find a permanent place for it. My rainfall record comes courtesy of a £5 plastic rain gauge which compares fairly well with surrounding stations. With no electronics involved it never fails and and I'm proud to say that next April I will be completing my first 20 years of continuous monthly records. Almost continuous, to be precise, as my dogs in their younger, playful years managed to empty it out before i got there. The only reason I haven't got a new AWS yet is that I can't decide where to place it in the garden which gets more and more filled with veg beds and apple trees. Perhaps, i should play Father Christmas and surprise myself this Yule?!?😲

In the meantime, enjoy your new toy - will be interesting to see what gusts you will get when the next storm arrives at our shores.

Well, if you do settle on a place for it then I'd say it should definitely go on your Christmas last lol. 

Yes it will be interesting, im certainly enjoying it already and being able to view it from work, im looking forward to a good storm! Im in a bit of a dip with the houses around me higher up, so quite sheltered but there are 2 stations on Wunderground within a mile of mine, so i will be curious to see their results compared to mine aswell! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

It’s really wild here right now - torrential rain and very gusty winds, almost stormy conditions.   It’s making a heck of a racket on the windows and roof and I’m only hoping it’s going to pass over very quickly.  The MetO warning for rain and high winds wasn’t wrong…..

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Plot, Chart, Map, Coast, Shoreline

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
25 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

It’s really wild here right now - torrential rain and very gusty winds, almost stormy conditions.   It’s making a heck of a racket on the windows and roof and I’m only hoping it’s going to pass over very quickly.  The MetO warning for rain and high winds wasn’t wrong…..

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Plot, Chart, Map, Coast, Shoreline

Quite windy, but mild here.  Have heard things a clattering outside. Looking at radar, squall line has not  hit us yet.  Hope you are ok.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Quite windy, but mild here.  Have heard things a clattering outside. Looking at radar, squall line has not  hit us yet.  Hope you are ok.

Thanks!   Last year I would have been a bit panicky with such heavy rain because the roof was leaking but I had it repaired this summer, at long last!  Went up to the loft during the downpour and everything seems dry, but it was noisy!   It’s definitely quieter now and I’m not sure whether the squall will still have its vigour when it reaches you but the wind could be strong so don’t leave anything lightweight outside …….  And yes it also feels mild here, too.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Wild indeed - lights went off for a few seconds an hour ago. All candlesticks are now in the right places, ready for action which probably means they won't be needed. Squall line should be passing through any time now. At least the rest of the night should be much quieter, so a good night's rest should be assured.🤭

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

3 separate dog walks today.  9 Am @ in Chirk, 10c rain; 12:15 in between pouring rain, at valley level 11c  Norman on the tops a very very fresh 9c with even fresher winds. Rain just cleared now, 14:21 and it’s 9c at valley level.  None of those temps scream, whisper or even nudge nudge wink wink at mild.  What are average temps early November supposed to be?

• Like 1

Posted

Very mild today but by gum it’s very windy!  Dog  walking  Sybil in Chirk this am.  Park was great  fun, she chasing leaves like the 9 year old puppy she is, Road walk not so much fun, narrowly missed being smacked on head by falling fir branch.  Husband has agreed to walk Norman dog on tops this lunchtime while I stick around for carpentry chappie to do his shelf building, so I get to stay in and look at leaves hurtling off trees.

• Like 1

Posted

Ooh, so glad to see that the modmad thread is getting busier.  Them dufferpodes that have summer hibernated are back on and getting proper modmad excited.  It’s like an indicator to winter, unlike the weather outside….

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person, Art, People, Painting, Drawing

• Like 2

Posted

Cloudy and mild again this morning but it’s not raining!   Currently there’s hardly any sign of widespread ground frost occurring in Wales right through to the end of November according to the computer models, which won’t please the diehard coldies but, this year at least, given the current cost of heating oil I’m not going to complain about mild conditions persisting right through till Christmas…... 

• Like 1

Posted

Bordering on the insane - have just reached the dizzying heights of 19.6 C, here also helped by Foehn coming over the Nantlle Ridge to our south. Surely, even with general global warming in mind it must go the other way eventually to largely even out again. Just hope it won't be another cold spring akin to May 2021, just when you want to put tender plants into the ground. Why can't it be December/January for once? It's been long overdue!

Posted

No dizzy heights here.  Lovely warm sunshine about 14c .  Chillier now sun behind Nantyr Hill.

Posted

Well, my humble thermometer went even more bonkers and peaked at 21.3 C around 1 pm!!! Allowing for the fact that it's just an off the shelf device and not  calibrated to MetO standards it still compares well to the official figure of 21.2 C at Porthmadog 14 miles SSE from here. What a day - made use of it by re-potting small oak trees  grown from acorns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Well as we enter silly season again just been sat down with the Mrs discussing Christmas presents and I asked her the question how many white Christmas's has she seen just off memory...so I ask you now, without Googling the years since you were born how many white Christmas's official or not can you remember? 🤔🤔

Posted

A bright start then showery for a while this morning….

Posted

A date to remember - the first frost of the season this morning!   Better late than never…..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Just had some thunder here in the last hour.

Anyone else in Wales hear it?

I didn't expect that.

The power even wen't out for a few seconds and considering the thunderstorm was in the distance, that particular thunder after it happened had a loud boom sound which means it must have been quite a powerful cloud-ground strike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days
On 19/11/2022 at 10:41, Crepuscular Ray said:

Same here. Only -0.1, but enough to make the garden look a bit wintry. 

after all the rain, it was nice to see a frost, -0.2°c was the low yesterday morning, mixed day today, started with blue sky then within an hour it was pretty dark and lashing it down.

Posted
3 hours ago, wimblettben said:

Just had some thunder here in the last hour.

Anyone else in Wales hear it?

I didn't expect that.

The power even wen't out for a few seconds and considering the thunderstorm was in the distance, that particular thunder after it happened had a loud boom sound which means it must have been quite a powerful cloud-ground strike.

Golly!  Nothing here earlier but rain and more rain.  Dry now, temps dropping.  Looks like we will all be under swirling rain, rain, rain wind tomorrow.

Posted
16 hours ago, snefnug said:

Golly!  Nothing here earlier but rain and more rain.  Dry now, temps dropping.  Looks like we will all be under swirling rain, rain, rain wind tomorrow.

Swirling rain and wind is right!  Heavy rain and gusty winds here and there’s a squall line approaching which looks interesting….  After that I’m hoping it will calm down for the rest of the day with maybe some brightness later. 🤞