Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Showery and mild again today.  The large flocks of migratory starlings seen in this area last year are returning now  - I’m not sure if this is earlier than usual or not since I haven’t previously noted the date…..   They seem to be arriving in good numbers though, which is encouraging for their survival.

Posted

So windy again here this morning - the clouds are racing across the sky and some of these are towering cumulus which reflect the sun from their tops.  No doubt we’ll get some showers later by the lol of it.  No sign of starlings this morning - they must have found better feeding somewhere else today.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Sky, Cumulus, Cloud, Azure Sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Windy cloudy rainy here.  Our starlings on the tops not seen recently, but vast quantities of fieldfares, far more than usually seen bunched together.  When I walk Norman the dog they rush up through the bracken in chittering droves.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

The theme of wet and windy nights and brighter and drier days continues, with another 16 mm of overnight rain to add to the tally. Lots of Cu bordering on Cb still around, so likely to catch a few showers this afternoon. Hints now from NW, weatheronline.com and MetO for a possible shift to higher pressure to our west in the second half of November, leading to more settled but also colder conditions for western UK. weatheronline already going as far as seeing December as largely dominated by high pressure, resulting in generally cool/cold conditions with frosty nights. All a long way off yet but I would welcome that trend if it came off, even without the snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Yeurgh weather this morning, strong wind gusts, strong rain, very mild, reminds me of monsoon season in West Africa, maybe Kevin  Costner was right…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Yes, almost insane - had reset my max/min thermometer yesterday evening and by this morning had gone up to 17.8 C. No wonder the heavy downpour ending the night, accompanied by 40 mph+ gusts, deposited 9.4 mm in my rain gauge within not more than a couple of hours. Thereafter the morning was sunny and dry again with still pleasant enough temperatures and lighter winds, so had an enjoyable walk with my two labradors.  

Posted
6 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Yes, almost insane - had reset my max/min thermometer yesterday evening and by this morning had gone up to 17.8 C. No wonder the heavy downpour ending the night, accompanied by 40 mph+ gusts, deposited 9.4 mm in my rain gauge within not more than a couple of hours. Thereafter the morning was sunny and dry again with still pleasant enough temperatures and lighter winds, so had an enjoyable walk with my two labradors.  

Yes, by 9am we were in glorious sunshine and 16c.  Stronger, cooler winds developed pm, which got washing dried…

Posted

The Met Office has issued a yellow warning of high winds for parts of Wales on Wednesday.  Mainly western coastal areas with gusts between 55 and 65mph forecast, but all areas will be windy on Wednesday.   Can’t seem to get a link embedded but just go to the MetO website for details….

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk

Posted

Last nights low pressure was been named by MeteoFrance and the worst weather affected the north of France, but we had a very wet and windy night here too.   More heavy showers today and another windy day on Wednesday to come.

1031claudiogust.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Storm (Tempete) Claudio has been named by MeteoFrance and will bring a windy night through the English Channel. Another low mid-week will bring more rain and the risk...

Edited by Sky Full

Posted

Having looked around at forecast wind speeds tomorrow, it seems that my location is at risk of the highest gusts at up to 65mph.  Most other locations in west Wales including coastal areas are only forecast to get 55mph gusts as far as I can see…..  Must be the effect of the Preseli hills, or simply elevation, I’m not too sure, but there goes the last of the autumn leaves….

Posted

As forecast, it’s very windy here!  As I write this the skies have darkened rapidly and it’s just started raining.    Hopefully the winds will ease this afternoon and the worst of the rain will stay out in the Irish Sea…..  💦💦💨💨

Posted

Strewth!  A veritable howling  wind and heavy gusts have put paid  to walking the dog Norman on the tops.  He is distinctly unimpressed with my wimpishness but as his human has just had her bedroom window ripped off in a strong gust, I didn’t want to be Defenestrated, a la Damien, by any other exploding windows or felled by falling branches.  

Posted
1 hour ago, snefnug said:

Strewth!  A veritable howling  wind and heavy gusts have put paid  to walking the dog Norman on the tops.  He is distinctly unimpressed with my wimpishness but as his human has just had her bedroom window ripped off in a strong gust, I didn’t want to be Defenestrated, a la Damien, by any other exploding windows or felled by falling branches.  

That sounds nasty - I hope you can quickly get it repaired!   Strongest gusts recorded today for Welsh locations so far courtesy of NW:

Aberdaron            72 mph

Capel Curig           71 mph

Valley                     68 mph

Pembrey Sands    64 mph

Aberporth / Mumbles Head  60 mph

These are significant gusts with the ability to cause damage.   We’ve also had heavy rain here but now seems to be easing up a little.  It also feels colder and I’ve got the log burner going for the first time this autumn.

Posted

Just took a sneak view over to weatheronline.com which currently lists as the highest gusts:

Capel Curig                            80 mph

Aberdaron                             73 mph

Valley/Pembrey Burrows    70 mph

Mumbles                               67 mph

Was certainly wild and quite nasty here for a few hours but luckily moved through relatively quickly. Time to think about getting winter jumpers out again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just ordered my new Ecowitt HP2551 station on Amazon, be good to finally have a functional station again to get readings from and report with! 

Been a windy few days and some very heavy rain, cool too. Im not going to complain that its not cold yet or anytime soon as rather use the heating as little as possible for now lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Had a gust of 41mph on the weather station at ground level in the garden today and I saw it hit 39mph as well.

Thats the highest I have recorded yet on this station but I think it's because we had Southerly winds and because quite a few trees have been cut down that way over the last year or so so more of the wind can probably now get through.

It wasn't any different to what we normally get though when i wen't up the top of the hill with my handheld anemometer with max gusts only into the 40's mph.

The highest gust I got up there in the afternoon was 47mph.

• Like 1

Posted

One of the many things I love about Pembrokeshire is how rapidly the weather can change.  This morning it’s completely different - hardly any breeze, not enough to move even the smallest leaves.  There are some distant clouds visible on the south-eastern horizon but otherwise it’s dry and clear as the sun is about to rise.   Looks like it could be a very nice autumn morning but it is noticeably cooler than recently, which is a good thing because many of the plants appear to have been fooled into thinking it might be Spring again!  At least the gales haven’t left any damage behind but I’m guessing this won’t be the last very windy day we get before Christmas….!

Posted

“Heavy thundery showers” for Wales, it says……

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Grassland, Field, Grass, Meadow, Weather, Pasture, Cumulus

….and here they are !    View to the south west this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

“Heavy thundery showers” for Wales, it says……

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Grassland, Field, Grass, Meadow, Weather, Pasture, Cumulus

….and here they are !    View to the south west this morning.

Going to be two great day's in a row if we get thunder here later.

Fun wind yesterday and thunderstorms today.

• Like 1

Posted

Same feature as earlier, now leaving the area to the west…..

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Cumulus, Cloud, Weather, Azure Sky

Lovely anvil shape.

Posted

Good grief!  I know it’s a wee bit chilly this morning, 3c outside and heating on inside, but just seen a gritter waggon hurtling up the road…..

Posted

Another lovely start to the day here - sunny and calm with light clouds - and there is NO RAIN in the forecast for today!  The hosepipe ban was lifted here about a week ago as the water in the Llys-y-Fran reservoir has reached normal levels for the time of year.  I’m not at all surprised by that given the amount of rain we had last month.   The local starling flock is growing and it looks like we might be treated to our own murmurations later in the season.  I’ll try to get some photos if possible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Could contain: Wood, Bird, Animal, Outdoors, Nature, Lamp Post, Plywood 

So i got my new Ecowitt HP2551 station but unlike my previous ones, this is a 7 in 1 sensor array thats on top of a pole attached to the fence. The thermometer, which is attached to the main arm on top is suppose to be in full sunlight, unlike previous ones I've had that are suppose to be shaded. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had one like it where the thermometer is suppose to be in the sun and if it alters the reading too much? Mine currently says 12.3C whereas my old on in the shade says 11.4C, so not sure if being in the sun will affect its accuracy much? It had really good reviews so happy overall with it, just curious about the temp.

Edited by DeepSnow
  • Like 1

Posted
On 02/11/2022 at 21:20, DeepSnow said:

Just ordered my new Ecowitt HP2551 station on Amazon

I have been looking at that one myself as I'm currently without one. i would be interested to know what your experiences will be over time.

1 hour ago, DeepSnow said:

Just wondering if anyone else has had one like it where the thermometer is suppose to be in the sun and if it alters the reading too much?

Generally speaking, temperature is measured in the shade and that's why sensors are housed inside screens. Official MetOffice sensors sit within Stevenson screens which are very effective, Davies station's screens are also very good. Both are of course expensive options. Thereafter effectiveness and accuracy decline to some extent but I would imagine there to be differences depending on design and model. Yes, the screen containing the sensor should be in the sun but never the sensor on its own. I somewhat bemoan the fact that today most amateur weather stations come as a single unit so you can't place sensors in different positions. For instance, rainfall in the UK should be measured at 30 cm above ground, temperature at 1.20 m and wind at 10 m to have them fully comparable, the latter being unachievable to most of us anyway. As they say, you get what you pay for but to me the Ecowitt certainly looks one of the best options for everyday use. Good luck with it! Btw., do you download data onto Wunderground, WOW etc? Would be interesting to follow.

Brief respite today after recent showery downpours. Just as well as our local Football Club is organising the village bonfire tonight (to allow people to attend fireworks displays tomorrow). On my morning dog walk I have already witnessed it all being set up, including BBQ. First opportunity since before lockdown for the village to come together again, hurray!!!🎇👍😃

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wetterfrosch said:

I have been looking at that one myself as I'm currently without one. i would be interested to know what your experiences will be over time.

Generally speaking, temperature is measured in the shade and that's why sensors are housed inside screens. Official MetOffice sensors sit within Stevenson screens which are very effective, Davies station's screens are also very good. Both are of course expensive options. Thereafter effectiveness and accuracy decline to some extent but I would imagine there to be differences depending on design and model. Yes, the screen containing the sensor should be in the sun but never the sensor on its own. I somewhat bemoan the fact that today most amateur weather stations come as a single unit so you can't place sensors in different positions. For instance, rainfall in the UK should be measured at 30 cm above ground, temperature at 1.20 m and wind at 10 m to have them fully comparable, the latter being unachievable to most of us anyway. As they say, you get what you pay for but to me the Ecowitt certainly looks one of the best options for everyday use. Good luck with it! Btw., do you download data onto Wunderground, WOW etc? Would be interesting to follow.

Thanks! This was my thinking with them suppose to be seperate, compared to all being in one. Suppose its done for convince for home weather stations as apposed to professional ones though?

Surprisingly it is only between 0.5C-1C warmer than my old one in the shade and 2 other stations near by me on Wunderground, so im pretty pleased so far, plus my garden can be a bit of more of a heat trap so its possibly fairly close to the actual. I think in terms of money, for £184 down from £259 it is definately one of the best in the price range. Just need a good wind storm to test it out now lol.

I have set it up on Wunderground 

WWW.WUNDERGROUND.COM

Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide.

WOW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The UK Met Office Weather Observation Website (WOW). WOW allows anyone to submit their own weather data, anywhere in the world.

I've connected it to those two 🙂

Edited by DeepSnow