Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Thanks for sharing those 2010 memories, everyone. Unfortunately I wasn't around to experience 1981-82, and I'm too young to have any memories of Feb. '96, so that third week of Dec. 2010 is my most perfect winter memory*. The deep snow cover, the metre-long icicles, the crystal blue skies, walking around town late at night in minus double-digit temperatures while the Christmas lights shone... it was close to nirvana.

Is anyone aware of an archive of radar captures going back that far? I'd love to revisit it.

*Storm Emma is a close second: a greater amount of snow fell from that, but it was powdery and drifted heavily which left some areas bare. Also, instead of a run of crystal-clear days, it was grey and murky and it all started melting after three days.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
23 hours ago, keithlucky said:

In the mad thread they die for the Beast when a North Wind blows the not interested,So toy throwing starts.

Let's see what happens a clean northerly  Thursday night Friday Saturday looks promising for snow showers.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors

23 hours ago, keithlucky said:

In the mad thread they die for the Beast when a North Wind blows the not interested,So toy throwing starts.

Let's see what happens a clean northerly  Thursday night Friday Saturday looks promising for snow showers.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, keithlucky said:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors

Andy favorite images.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Text

Posted

My brother reports that there were a few light flakes of snow in the air first thing this morning when he took the dog for a walk up on Garreg Lwyd.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Its coming home its coming home Snowfalls coming home. Sledges being waxed Wales is gonna have a pasting. 

☃️☃️⛄⛄🤗🤗

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Afrayedknot said:

Its coming home its coming home Snowfalls coming home. Sledges being waxed Wales is gonna have a pasting. 

☃️☃️⛄⛄🤗🤗

🤞🏻 ❄️❄️❄️🎉 hope so!

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Afrayedknot said:

☃️☃️⛄⛄🤗🤗

I would much prefer that the snow was Yma o hyd rather than "coming home" 🤣 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

The GFS currently shows this ‘lying snow depth’ chart for the 12 December - just seven days away:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Hardly anywhere in Wales without snow in this chart.   What’s even more surprising is that some snow is predicted to be lying on the ground at least until the 20th December which is the furthest reach of this model.  This indicates below freezing temperatures even during the day.  Who knows, this might even be a conservative outlook….🌨🌨❄️❄️⛄⛄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
6 hours ago, Sky Full said:

The GFS currently shows this ‘lying snow depth’ chart for the 12 December - just seven days away:

Hardly anywhere in Wales without snow in this chart.   What’s even more surprising is that some snow is predicted to be lying on the ground at least until the 20th December which is the furthest reach of this model.  This indicates below freezing temperatures even during the day.  Who knows, this might even be a conservative outlook….🌨🌨❄️❄️⛄⛄

Looks suggestive of a Dangler set up to me as there’s also snow cover showing on the north Devon coast too 

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Snow still shows reaching NWales pushing South snow cover in the North how much energy left on the Cold Front as it reaches S Wales is unsure,radar watching as normal LOL.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

Wales gets a pasting out in Fi land with not one but two advancing lows into the cold air gfs 12z

87E4129E-9898-42C4-951B-86CF8DA8CAEC.jpe

Let's hope repeat 1979

Could contain: Truck, Vehicle, Transportation, Machine, Nature, Outdoors

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Now the GFS has 30cm of lying snow over most of central Wales by the 17th December…….!!!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Diagram

Is that what’s known in scientific circles as an ‘upgrade’?  😆

(EDIT.   sorry, @andymusic I realised that was the same chart you posted earlier!   Still, it’s worth seeing twice!)

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

It amazes me that even with good cold uppers the charts still don't want to give us snow on the South coast 😂 but im sure it will be different come the time! Would love a 2018 redo with 2ft of snow down to the coast 😂😂

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, DeepSnow said:

It amazes me that even with good cold uppers the charts still don't want to give us snow on the South coast 😂 but im sure it will be different come the time! Would love a 2018 redo with 2ft of snow down to the coast 😂😂

Day tempretures +3 -4 at night even colder come weekend.-8 Uppers ,just need some precipation come Thursday lol! This is cold front moving south Thursday.

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Person

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Ill happily take this dry and cold weather coming up now! Its looking like alot more sunshine for us now which is better than mild and drizzle! Looking forward to some frosty mornings. Oh and not looking at any PPN charts, pointless. Get the cold air in first then we will look at them, wind direction will also play a part in what areas get PPN too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Quite agree, frosty nights will be the noteworthy change this week. MO output for my area remains timid with just a 30% chance of a snow shower Thursday and Friday night. Being so close to the see means that solid PPN tends to fall as hail or snow grains with DP's rarely low enough to produce 'proper' snow flakes but we'll see. Next week's outlook does look promising but until it's in the reliable I won't get too excited.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting met showing weakening front Thursday but showing Streamer forming Friday ,quoted today showing increasing chance of wintry showers in Western parts.The difference in this air mass it not a dry airmass ,so as the days go by increasing chances of snow⁰                    Latest fax shows a small system forming around s west Wales,Interesting.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Text

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Lots of excited people in the mad thread saying even south could get lots of snow, does that mean us? 
lots of very excited people in there this morning! Fingers crossed for us!❄️❄️❄️

I will get excited when @andymusic tells us!❄️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer

Both the ECM and GFS this morning going for significant snow events next week in Wales as Low Pressure systems to our South / South West bump into the cold air in place over us. Still a long way off though!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Plant

Edited by mattrout92
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mattrout92 said:

Both the ECM and GFS this morning going for significant snow events next week in Wales as Low Pressure systems to our South / South West bump into the cold air in place over us. Still a long way off though!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Plant

28A8D606-9E0B-4AC4-8206-9109C014F22C.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks good right now guys but it WILL chop and change ! Models are really struggling for next week. Lets focus on this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

It's nice to see everyone back for Winter 22/23. 

Buckle up, no doubt we'll be on one hell of a rollercoaster! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Borrowed from Corithan Quote concerning LP development over Irish Sea for Thursday .

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I think if anything does fall during the day on lower ground and around the coast, it will likely be rain for this week/weekend as daytime highs of 3-5c, however could obviously turn to snow with evaporative cooling etc.

I am liking the perspect of the battleground snow from potential sliders next week, which could give us a lot of snow (way to far out i know but just for fun). I think even low ground and the coast would get some good snow from that too. Just got to hope it doesn't go too far north, in order to keep it an all snow event and keep us in the cold air after. Very exciting and hopefully most of us will see something over the next week or so!

• Like 1