Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
Just now, CreweCold said:

I had a crisis of confidence last night. I saw the runs getting flatter and flatter and feared the worst...how many times have we been there over the years. USUALLY when the modelling gets flatter by the run it's curtains- that applies maybe 90-95% of the time. 

I've known since October where we SHOULD be headed throughout winter but I was filled with trepidation over what may happen model wise over the coming days.

BUT, wow...what model runs today. 

There is a big clue as to where we could be headed with the encroaching deep cold way to the NE- it's heading closer and closer every run. It couldn't...could it?!

Well done Crewe, now you've gone and bloody jinxed it! 

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Chertseystreamer79 said:

Did you never jump on a rollercoaster as a child!

Fair enough opinion of course and it's actually very correct but its not what this gaff is all about! 

Not worried about what tomorrow brings when you could bang your head against a wall on the 18z's! 

Anyway back to these models and for me that ecm easterly is gaining enough support now to think it might now need to be looked at a bit more closely!

Has anyone ever done a comprehensive study on model accuracy. That would be interesting! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Eskimo said:

Well done Crewe, now you've gone and bloody jinxed it! 

Oh believe me, my feet are still well and truly planted to the floor!

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I had a crisis of confidence last night. I saw the runs getting flatter and flatter and feared the worst...how many times have we been there over the years. USUALLY when the modelling gets flatter by the run it's curtains- that applies maybe 90-95% of the time. 

I've known since October where we SHOULD be headed throughout winter but I was filled with trepidation over what may happen model wise over the coming days.

There is a big clue as to where we could be headed with the encroaching deep cold way to the NE- it's heading closer and closer every run. It couldn't...could it?!

Am happy to see we have you back on board Crewe!! Wouldnt be a cold spell without you on board mate! All systems go on high pressure to Iceland!

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

If it happens, you have to promise to enjoy the heatwaves in summer!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Djdazzle said:

If it happens, you have to promise to enjoy the heatwaves in summer!

Enjoy the heatwaves? I'd sacrifice my left testicle for a protracted severe wintry spell if I had to.

• Like 6

The snow system seems marginally east of latest Hi Res model output, good precipitation intensity. Parts of western low lying NW England (Merseyside area etc) could pick up a covering in the early hours. Harmonie is currently closest with the evolution but even that is 10-20 miles too far west.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
7 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Has anyone ever done a comprehensive study on model accuracy. That would be interesting! 

Yes, all the models are ranked for accuracy and this is ongoing. Somebody will link to it (I don't have it to hand).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
26 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

One to watch❄️B60F966E-AD76-407A-80E7-E7068289D6F6.thumb.jpeg.418cc312895f3e9274ddf5daaf961088.jpeg

Is this from the Met? Wheres the link? This is a lovely surprise if true I hardly ever see snow from bands that move in from the west/NW here in NW Kent

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

So another nowcasting update, here’s the radar v the ICON-EU 18z round about now:

80E33A5F-4472-466C-AF67-72A679EE66A2.thumb.jpeg.eda3e7369a13fec8903f304ef3670ce0.jpeg8FD69482-22BD-4A59-92CC-FB6F60A2A947.thumb.png.411c8b5191b6b297cfef9ee82bf59e85.png

Again this suggests the initial system is further east than modelled, which could have big implications further south.  Similar to my post on the 12z EURO4.  I think this suggests the actual system will affect more of the UK than the cumulative snow fall chart on the ICON-EU T50:

CE7C6A31-A2FC-41D9-A110-9FD2F0C179C1.thumb.png.33cc953842dbaf5d806f84271ff08748.png

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
11 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm surprised you were getting cold feet crew..These little changes for better or worse will crop up occasionally,but the prognosis was still beneficial...Its only a matter of time before these models start to pick up on those encouraging developments in the strat..But as it stands...kudos to you,because I think you were one of the first to state some time ago,that this Winter looks much more interesting,and if I recall...last year you had know appetite for anything wintry at all..so far so good mate..give me mystic megs number and I will by you a drink...lol just joking...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

tomorrow nights chances on 18Z

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Yes,noticed the 18z ICON was showing a similar track.

anim_gko6.thumb.gif.0bb5a91a4f8161e0156061099bd16011.gif

• Like 6

Posted

Latest UKV is below, as per the rumour mill. Subscribers to Netweather Extra have access to this model, so no need to rely on he said, she said style twitter snippets!

ukv-anim-sunday.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Latest UKV is below, as per the rumour mill. Subscribers to Netweather Extra have access to this model, so no need to rely on he said, she said style twitter snippets!

ukv-anim-sunday.gif

Great im on night shifts this week and work a lot of my shifts outdoors 3am I'll be checking outside to see if this from UKV is correct so rain sleet or snow? Hmmmm.. interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes,noticed the 18z ICON was showing a similar track.

anim_gko6.thumb.gif.0bb5a91a4f8161e0156061099bd16011.gif

Where do people rate the ICON at short range? That graphic has a snowfall for the south coast! Wouldn’t go amiss in the snow barren south coast! 

Edited by iowpompeylee
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, iowpompeylee said:

Where do people rate the ICON at short range? That graphic has a snowfall for the south coast! Wouldn’t go amiss in the snow barren south! 

In my opinion it isn’t the best of short range models, and has probably got this one wrong as it will be some way further east, might help on south coast mind.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

If anyone doesn't know this rain/snow radar,then it's good to watch this animated one to determine where we are headed at a quick glance,snow being red.

lastsnowradar_uk.thumb.gif.b2c11ce07b8777bdb4a623cb67538c69.gif

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

La météo en temps réel et prévisions météo pour la France, Observations météo, modèles numériques et logiciels météo (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM, AROME, ARPEGE, JMA)

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The 18z is even faster with building heights to our north than the 12z was, and I thought that was progressive!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1