Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Cold pushing into Europe via svalbard area 

image.thumb.png.0ff9cc3357648297db21e2fe8d59e8a7.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Drifter said:

We could do with a top up of the cold pool though. 

Patience is required here. You can see cold air via a low from svalbard pushing south, this will likely bring cold down into Europe and cutting off the warm feed of the high.

Pattern will retrogress slowly NW. As cold is filtered down from the NE. It will take some time however.

Edited by Snowman.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Its December 7th 2031 and the GFS pub run is released, Netweather members are depressed as the Atlantic Zonal train sweeps across the UK with a strong Iberia High to the south. Its been like that for weeks with unrelenting rain and wind.

Members are giving up hope for winter 2031/32 until someone posts a chart from 7th December 2020 which looks very similar and reminds everyone how that historic winter didn't start till Christmas Eve and got colder and colder until 'The Great Freeze of 2021' struck in mid January.

With those wonderful memories swimming round in their heads Netweather members retired to bed happy  

OK I know, This is one off topic post that will be deleted  

• Like 9

Posted
48 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Musing over. Best finish with a chart to  prevent me being subbed off. This 240h EPS mean is one of the best I have seen. Let the SSW take out the heights over SE Europe by mid month and we all better make sure we’ve found our hat and gloves.

image.thumb.png.30964d9de29ada945c8e6da0678e73f5.png

I don't agree, and that's to do with the high pressure in the east of Europe. We just can't get really cold 850 hPa's. In large parts of Continental Europe it won't freeze (or just a little bit).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
Just now, Drifter said:

We could do with a top up of the cold pool though. 

Once we start pulling in those easterlies, it will be cold enough, when you cut off the Atlantic, the continent cools rapidly at this time of year

Also, the models usually underestimate cold pools, so we should see upgrades 

We just need to avoid pulling warmer uppers from the med, which is a possibility, so cross those fingers and toes!

if they haven't succumbed to frostbite by then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Boom...

D0F48EAA-2EF6-423B-A26B-651BFE11BBA1.thumb.png.0070738999a2fcdf3a7d813e4f223e94.png

For perfection, we could do with the HP being a tad further north, ie the core over Iceland.

Still cold at the surface though.

• Like 1

Posted

Re Easterly at end of ECM - Hopefully the DP come the time will be lower as it’s still showing rain. I guess it will cool down with time, so only a couple of days of marginal conditions before the colder air sets in? 

B847EE3F-4175-4CF3-B431-4B1DCCECACF4.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

Best ensembles of the winter by a country mile today

Probs maxing out at  two degrees throughout, but under any snow cover I'd imagine it would be lower than that. 

ens_image.png

Edited by North East Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

GEM

image.thumb.png.99271cb2e33a30b31ae3574070fb4362.png

Snow machine.  The Scandi heights really picked up now rather than the Greenland HP....but looking at this and ECM...GHP to follow.

Have to say, this cold set up arrived pretty much on cue, but I thought back in Sept and even in Nov and early Dec that we’d see quicker development and that by early Jan the Atlantic would start to dominate with a pM general flow north if west.  I’m thinking the models are possibly taking us down a road I thought was not viable (I thought Dec overall would be colder with sharper cold development for Xmas week, Jan would not be a stonker but average at the best and a cold Feb)....let’s keep this outlook going and get 1st 3rd of Jan really cold and go from there.

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Boom...

D0F48EAA-2EF6-423B-A26B-651BFE11BBA1.thumb.png.0070738999a2fcdf3a7d813e4f223e94.png

Steve Murr owns the patent for the Boom.lol.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
4 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

I don't agree, and that's to do with the high pressure in the east of Europe. We just can't get really cold 850 hPa's. In large parts of Continental Europe it won't freeze (or just a little bit).

Which is why I said - let the SSW take away the heights from SE Europe (via vortex daughter incoming from the east we hope!) and then it will get colder...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T240 just sets up the high a little too far south for me, plenty of time for that to change, would be interested to see if it is supported by the ENS clusters later:

C98D5CE8-776F-4EAF-A997-2AD16CEA43E8.thumb.png.1576e5eab3a0dddc913043c59a55e714.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Re Easterly at end of ECM - Hopefully the DP come the time will be lower as it’s still showing rain. I guess it will cool down with time, so only a couple of days of marginal conditions before the colder air sets in? 

B847EE3F-4175-4CF3-B431-4B1DCCECACF4.jpeg

If we don't get snow from such a setup, I'll be giving up on winter forever! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just catching up as i had to nip out but that day chart from the ECM is marvelous

ECH1-240.thumb.gif.0b7320044261d72b94b136f20a965f68.gifECH0-240.thumb.gif.7a16392d4021683cdb09226395deb2cf.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

Patience is required here. You can see cold air via a low from svalbard pushing south, this will likely bring cold down into Europe and cutting off the warm feed of the high.

Pattern will retrogress slowly NW. As cold is filtered down from the NE. It will take some time however.

image.thumb.png.65fd4e44fcbc003a99080bc96d0ad33b.png

You can see it on the ECM as low heights drop into NE Europe, the high is shifting NW. If it was to continue you would see the low pressure systems continue to move clockwise round the high with it getting ever increasingly colder.

• Like 2