Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Blimey!!!,that high pressure is taking hold quicker over Iceland than the 12z.

gfsnh-0-150.thumb.png.7d46be75423833a2e80f89067b2ca600.pnggfsnh-0-156.thumb.png.7df0196d4527aef59406051d1ff68c00.png

Some good trough disruption there on the 18Z. TD is when low heights from one low move to another through an area of higher pressure. This would really help strengthen the cold pool and easterly D6-8.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

If anyone doesn't know this rain/snow radar,then it's good to watch this animated one to determine where we are headed at a quick glance,snow being red.

lastsnowradar_uk.thumb.gif.b2c11ce07b8777bdb4a623cb67538c69.gif

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

La météo en temps réel et prévisions météo pour la France, Observations météo, modèles numériques et logiciels météo (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM, AROME, ARPEGE, JMA)

This looks wayyyy further east than models have suggested to me! Dont be surprised if those who looked out of it further east end up with a dusting. Met office could well be on the money here

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
5 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

If anyone doesn't know this rain/snow radar,then it's good to watch this animated one to determine where we are headed at a quick glance,snow being red.

lastsnowradar_uk.thumb.gif.b2c11ce07b8777bdb4a623cb67538c69.gif

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

La météo en temps réel et prévisions météo pour la France, Observations météo, modèles numériques et logiciels météo (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM, AROME, ARPEGE, JMA)

Thank you! Really helpful! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

This looks wayyyy further east than models have suggested to me! Dont be surprised if those who looked out of it further east end up with a dusting. Met office could well be on the money here

You're right, but it's still going to start taking on a more southerly progression, so a pass slightly due east of the hi res whilst remaining largely on the NNW to SSE axis this is expected to take. Warrnington to Teleford to West Country for me.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The 18z is even faster with building heights to our north than the 12z was, and I thought that was progressive!

Indeed, the para has been building pressure in that area faster, will be interesting to view that when it comes out shortly.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

You're right, but it's still going to start taking on a more southerly progression, so a pass slightly due east of the hi res whilst remaining largely on the NNW to SSE axis this is expected to take. Warrnington to Teleford to West Country for me.

Okay thanks mate 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

At 174 and the cold pool over Scandi is better aligned too...

gfsnh-0-174.thumb.png.7786f8bf4c563fd51694aa8def224f52.pnggfsnh-1-174.thumb.png.06b7b6c426deaf52e9b34e6ecf62545e.png

...and i couldn't possibly draw a better round circle than that one over Iceland lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Just a few thoughts about tomorrow having done a little nowcasting in the previous posts:

Radar, and HARMONIE about now:

F34E6F11-1588-482B-9A58-C3A45832F7DF.thumb.jpeg.1f022411cf23dcaf93a6787bc328a9da.jpeg6173B243-209F-4CA1-B712-5BA0D3733685.thumb.png.076401c18bf080fa864bc6aba43f73e2.png

Again further east than the model so HARMONIE can go in the bin as well.

But what exactly is going to happen tomorrow, GFS has this as entry and exit points:

2B076AD9-39BC-4DBE-B48B-4B5DC276C9E2.thumb.gif.1e16cc43407afca9c1faf57af7922a5f.gif475204EA-42C9-485B-B9E3-CF148B2DCD11.thumb.gif.881dcccb77199632f7dbf6d63a3c753a.gif

In about 12 hours, I can see a whole lot of uncertainty in this evolution, particularly in the slack behind the main low, I’d put the snow risk for England in a triangle from Lancaster to Bristol to Brighton.  We will see...

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I think personally it will stall the further east it gets,that's  my view but i hope i am wrong as i want some settling dandruff☺️

• Like 1

Posted

So the 6 hourly look at who's getting snow begins again, here's the latest from what is probably my preferred short term model, the ARPEGE, which I like because it models fronts well and doesn't give snow unless parameters really really might be favourable. French view only until later. Covers up to Tuesday evening.

Screenshot_20201227-221950.thumb.png.79d0856e64a76d6cc841fdac64802306.png

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Or you could use this very site for quicker updates and a bit more detail on the prec type (just click the weather type button) 

But anyway, model wise. Lowland, lying snow is still looking pretty hard to come by this week, according to the UKV, with just temporary coverings likely lower down, particularly overnight and during heavier bursts. 

Quite an interesting little feature being shown in the 15z for new year's eve

thurs-feature.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

At 174 and the cold pool over Scandi is better aligned too...

gfsnh-0-174.thumb.png.7786f8bf4c563fd51694aa8def224f52.pnggfsnh-1-174.thumb.png.06b7b6c426deaf52e9b34e6ecf62545e.png

...and i couldn't possibly draw a better round circle than that one over Iceland lol

So the icelandic high me and you mused was dropped and is now back and firmed up.

Always good when it looks like your ideas are on the money!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Dunno what to think of the 18z!!theme the same but different slightly to the 12z!!

Its an absolute belter!:cold-emoji:

A cut off Griceland High.

gfsnh-0-216.thumb.png.62effced96e6d3bc05de76c8a2786872.png

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Or you could use this very site for quicker updates and a bit more detail on the prec type (just click the weather type button) 

But anyway, model wise. Lowland, lying snow is still looking pretty hard to come by this week, according to the UKV, with just temporary coverings likely lower down, particularly overnight and during heavier bursts. 

Quite an interesting little feature being shown in the 15z for new year's eve

thurs-feature.png

I do use that one too Paul,maybe i should of been a bit clearer,i like that one because it runs the animation quicker☺️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat

5 minutes ago, Howie said:

18z building too much heights over Iberia for my liking

what heights? two low pressures are heading right towards Iberia

• Like 1