Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted

thats the 

1 minute ago, danm said:

Commenting is fine, but concern about it possibly picking up a new trend is somewhat premature. A model that is run four times a day will churn out all sorts in FI.

the problem is people comment on. the run in fl like its going to verify exactly as shown,which is never,and is very misleading to newbies.Look at that post by weather history of day 10 charts by the models and the actualy reality,FAILURE by all of them,not even close any of them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Just started a cold spell discussion thread for those posts not suitable for here or banter

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Just started a cold spell discussion thread for those posts not suitable for here or banter

Is this to talk about current conditions or short term snow talk mate? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Is this to talk about current conditions or short term snow talk mate? 

Both

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Control going down a similar route to the op- maybe a tad better. However if this is the path we go, we need to pull that Atlantic trough further SE...otherwise it'll draw mild southerlies up like on the op

image.thumb.png.f90512ee60d338bdf56acd8030e3cec8.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Control going down a similar route to the op- maybe a tad better. However if this is the path we go, we need to pull that Atlantic trough further SE...otherwise it'll draw mild southerlies up like on the op

image.thumb.png.f90512ee60d338bdf56acd8030e3cec8.png

Looks perfectly positioned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
40 minutes ago, Craigers said:

This would be incredible with the high north sea temps. Way better convection chances compared to the BFTE 2018 setup. 

I think it would be cold rain apart from inland at height going off the models predicted 850 temps and previous experience.
Looking at the models I feel we may have to bear a week or so of milder temps before a renewed bout of cold from the north east.

When I say mild not excessively mild but I feel we may have an incursion of milder weather especially in the south. By mid month I feel that the cold pool n East Siberia/East Asia will have moved westwards by the dissolution or reorientation of the Russian High and that will allow us to tap into a much colder pool of air. We are starting to see this week n the later stages of recent GFS runs.

At least it is interesting model watching and there should be lots of opportunities for colder conditions and snow moving forward.

Edited by Snow White
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Snow White said:

I think it would be cold rain apart from inland at height going off the models predicted 850 temps and previous experience.
Looking at the models I feel we may have to bear a week or so of milder temps before a renewed bout of cold from the north east.

When I say mild not excessively mild but I feel we may have an incursion of milder weather especially in the south. By mid month I feel that the cold pool n East Siberia/East Asia will have moved westwards by the dissolution or reorientation of the Russian High and that will allow us to tap into a much colder pool of air.

At least it is interesting model watching and there should be lots of opportunities for colder conditions and snow moving forward.

Why would we need an incursion of milder air to achieve this? 

Posted

The GFSP is one of the strangest runs ive ever looked at.

Low pressure after low pressure train from the eastern seaboard brushing the south coast while still in -5 and -6 upper temperatures due to the jet being pushed rediculously south and no vortex anywhere in sight!!

Bizarre!

Anyone hazard a guess at ground conditions?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Low pressure after low pressure train from the eastern seaboard brushing the south coast while still in -5 and -6 upper temperatures due to the jet being pushed rediculously south and no vortex anywhere in sight!!

Bizarre!

Given that even though it is the dead of night now and we had a frost earlier and it is now raining where I am - it will probably be rain

• Like 3

Posted

With the progression seen on the GFS op and control, it becomes a race to shift the vortex core over to the Siberian side. If it happens fast enough then the HP will not sink SE ala GFS op as low heights filter around the E flank .

Control is a bit faster than the op run at getting that vortex core E

image.thumb.png.467a015a63d980a7360f77c0ded0099f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Bizarre!

Rain (unless there’s a breeze off of the continent)

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Bizarre!

We would probably have imported colder air by then so 2 - 3 degrees daytime max.  The lows could help bring in colder easterlies, so it is difficult to read so far out. You can’t compare it to today’s meh air flow that is still producing rain showers.  Different scenario.  I would suggest it would be snow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Given that even though it is the dead of night now and we had a frost earlier and it is now raining where I am - it will probably be rain

Hahaha im not so sure come then under lower uppers 10 days of below average temperatures and dps off the continent. Have you seen the run ive never seen anything like it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
7 minutes ago, danm said:

Why would we need an incursion of milder air to achieve this? 

We may not and hopefully won’t see that but IMO the cold air from East Asia needs to move westwards. This most likely will not happen until mid month at the earliest with the predicted displacement/split to the vortex. We may see the incursions of milder air until the pattern reloads and we then have a proper pool of cold air to tap into.

We see this as at the end of the 18z with much colder air flooding south westwards from Siberia and this was a pattern on earlier runs.

Scotland may stay on the cold side throughout but looking at the models that is what I think may happen.

Also if it does happen  places may see snow as the milder air hits the cold in battleground type scenarios.

• Like 1

Posted

This shows the progression of the vortex through FI- You can clearly see the shift E. 

anim_rsp6.gif

Control heads towards boomtown-

image.thumb.png.45aa250c228278fd513fee1ac8d5a121.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

This shows the progression of the vortex through FI- You can clearly see the shift E. 

anim_rsp6.gif

There are a few stunners around the 300 hour mark, some serious cold pools on some of them, hopefully see a few more in the morning including the OP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GEFS are a stonker of epic proportions, only been through first 10 mind but a boat load of stonking big Greenland highs. EPS graaph also better than 0z - gfs 18z strat not as good though.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

anim_rsp6.gif

Control heads towards boomtown-

image.thumb.png.45aa250c228278fd513fee1ac8d5a121.png

Seriously good chart that.

Very cold air about to drop South West! Yes Please Mr Control!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10
54 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Bizarre!

Meters of snow 

Posted

Well marginal uppers or not, I have thick flakes here in NW Wales right now. It did initially start pretty wet but quickly turned. 

Edited by andy989
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
5 minutes ago, andy989 said:

Well marginal uppers or not, I have thick flakes here in NW Wales right now. It did initially start pretty wet but quickly turned. 

Am I right in thinking you are around 90-100metres ASL there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

GFS op was a clear mild outlier as expected ensembles look fantastic-these for my location NW Kent

graphe3_10000___0.36_51.44_.png

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

GFS op was a clear mild outlier as expected ensembles look fantastic-these for my location NW Kent

graphe3_10000___0.36_51.44_.png

Sorry but that's not a mild outlier with it having support from other ensembles 

Not too concerning yet though. Until this pattern starts setting itself there will be many variations being thrown up

• Like 1