Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 17/12/2021 at 22:32, SouthYorks said:

Fantastic to see you back posting @Scott Ingham.  This thread is the place to be in winter, with friendly informative posts.

@Kasim Awan Brilliant contributions from you in the Mod thread.  Keep them coming!

Good to see the thread awakening, snow must be on the horizon,

Looking forward to @Scott Inghamand @Kasim Awan posts,

And everybody else that contributes, bring it on i say

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Icy days

Good to have you posting again @Scott Ingham.  This year could be 2010 all over again.  Looking forward posts from yourself and @Kasim Awan.  Snow on Christmas day will be amazing, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted

So guys and girls let’s ask the experts in here the big question and that is given the improvement and shift in the models overnight to a colder festive period with more of the country now in the firing line for snow what are the chances of seeing the good old white stuff on the 3 big days (24th, 25th and the 26th)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

LOL fun this switching and changing nearly got spring temps for xmas day followed a possible snow fest  later in the evening and night. Would be the perfect xmas day. No issue getting to xmas lunch followed by a interesting evening.

I wonder how long for the models to get a proper grip.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, The PIT said:

LOL fun this switching and changing nearly got spring temps for xmas day followed a possible snow fest  later in the evening and night. Would be the perfect xmas day. No issue getting to xmas lunch followed by a interesting evening.

I wonder how long for the models to get a proper grip.

Possibly Xmas eve pit in regard to snow

Posted
7 hours ago, Hatewarmth said:

So guys and girls let’s ask the experts in here the big question and that is given the improvement and shift in the models overnight to a colder festive period with more of the country now in the firing line for snow what are the chances of seeing the good old white stuff on the 3 big days (24th, 25th and the 26th)

The million dollar question! It would appear its changeable down to the last second, and the mod thread is just utter nuts.   One post its boom and then the next post its all over. Think we will just have to wait and see - although i imagine anything falling on the coast would be rain/sleet for me. who knows maybe this is the year.... all exciting stuff and amusing to read i guess.   

Posted

Things could be nasty in the early hours of the 24th. temps maybe low enough for some freezing rain.

On the present GFS run a colder Xmas day but away from the moors probably wet for sunny Sheffield.  North Yorkshire doesn't look to bad. Boxing the cold gets dug in.

At the moment it all hangs on how hard the Atlantic pushes a 50 miles difference either way for us makes all the difference. At the moment everything is out of the reliable time frame so going to be fun watching things develop.

Posted
8 hours ago, HarrogatePete said:

Good to have you posting again @Scott Ingham.  This year could be 2010 all over again.  Looking forward posts from yourself and @Kasim Awan.  Snow on Christmas day will be amazing, fingers crossed.

2010 was already well under way by now. People round here had finally got fed up waiting for council to clear the roads and were breaking up chucks of ice and clearing the roads themselves. Ah 2010 first of 1st Dec and 4ft snow drift in the middle of road. That's was the day my mother was supposed to be going into a home. During the night she tried to "go home" in her nighty and bare feet. I got a few punches when I stopped her getting out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

we had rain to snow on boxing day 2014 didnt we, that was a decent fall in the end. wouldnt mind a repeat but if experience tells me anything anything falling will be away to our south come T0. Mabe some showers from the east. Even if we miss out around crimbo period, the charts are looking brilliant for a long cold spell into Jan. Plenty more snow chances id think and its so special to have this in the depth of winter for once, not March! BRING IT ON! ❄️

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

ECM nice just waiting for it to come down to the reliable time frame of T96 then we can see where we are at. Although recently we had few now casting as the models were confused up to T36

Interesting watching early video forecasts from the met issued on the 17th for xmas. 50% chance of it being mild and 41% of being cold. Dunno if they've done one today it would be interesting what they say today.  Beeb a few days were clearly using the ECM then yesterday they dropped any mention of a wintry xmas unless you're in Scotland.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Correct me if I am wrong, just going by past experience in similar scenarios. If that low tracks south at end of week, then a strong possibility of pulling in E/NE winds and convective snow showers off north sea? 

Just a thought, because in my opinion I don't see the snow line getting up here in time for christmas, they very rarely do.

Edited by Snowjokes92

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, just going by past experience in similar scenarios. If that low tracks south at end of week, then a strong possibility of pulling in E/NE winds and convective snow showers off north sea? 

Just a thought, because in my opinion I don't see the snow line getting up here in time for christmas, they very rarely do.

Well it's still in doubt how far north the fronts will go. I'm sure anywhere north of east would bring snow showers 850s look OK on ec. I'd keep my powder dry our area could be buried by boxing day or cold and dry. 48hrs should nail it, I think lol 

• Like 1

Posted

Is it me or is the model thread more calm these days. At one time if you pointed out T192 wasn't nailed on when talking about cold the wolf pack would be after you.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Is it me or is the model thread more calm these days. At one time if you pointed out T192 wasn't nailed on when talking about cold the wolf pack would be after you.

It's a bit calmer but there's the usual run frenzy of comments during the runs. It's 2 mile south or north will it snow north of morrisons etc

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

If this goes t*ts up this week, just watch out for the gnashing of teeth, toy throwing and downright tantrums!

Posted

Thought I would pop into my new "local" thread to say Hi. Have been a member for many years, but until Feb lived in Greater London north east.

Although members of the family have been up here for years, I haven't seen much Snow on visits for over 10yrs. The last time we had to dig out the Cars was not much fun to be honest.

Let's hope we all have a good Christmas and a bit of the White stuff would be lovely for the kids.

Cheers. Carolyn x

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, cj114 said:

Thought I would pop into my new "local" thread to say Hi. Have been a member for many years, but until Feb lived in Greater London north east.

Although members of the family have been up here for years, I haven't seen much Snow on visits for over 10yrs. The last time we had to dig out the Cars was not much fun to be honest.

Let's hope we all have a good Christmas and a bit of the White stuff would be lovely for the kids.

Cheers. Carolyn x

Welcome to the friendly regional thread.    We have some great knowledgeable posters in here as well as them being active in the Mod thread.  And yes, hopefully some really interesting weather to come in the next few weeks and the rest of winter.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Wednesday needs watching. Will probably do a post tomorrow.

Sounds interesting Kasim! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Posted
7 hours ago, cj114 said:

Cheers. Carolyn x

welcome to the best regional thread!  sit back and enjoy the ride  

Posted

ECM now seems to be settled in thoughts now. GFS 00oz run mild for xmas constant 120z rather cold for xmas  so fairly constant on that as well. UKMO seems fairly well constant as well and cold for xmas.

Posted

Freezing fog earlier today after a spell of clear skies. I guess some places had freezing drizzle overnight.

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Freezing fog earlier today after a spell of clear skies. I guess some places had freezing drizzle overnight.

we had freezing fog/drizzle over night and still have it now, took dog out at 7.30am couldn't see a thing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Just had a few snowflakes drifting down in central Sheffield.